Biggest lesson you've learned?

Dodgyknees

Just now, Rugeley Villa said:

DHUTWU!

:D

I never even got the chance to DHUTRU. More is the pity:bang:.  It would be something to think back on. She really was a stunner.  Would have been a much better memory to have in the bank than just yet another example of me engaging mouth before brain. 

1 hour ago, sidcow said:

Yes,  there are several times in my life I think back on and still wince about embarrassing things I have said. 

The one which haunts me the most is the one time I actually managed to pull a girl who was way out of my league,  almost a different sport in fact.  I noticed blokes staring at her when she was walking through the pub.  I have no idea what she saw in me. 

We had a really good night and I missed the last bus home. She invited me to her house to call a taxi.  We watched telly with her folks for a bit and they went to bed. 

We havd a bit of a snog in front of the telly and then she switched channels just as the closing titles to the film Red Sonia was on. I mean Red bloody Sonia,  an awful movie. 

I sat up and exclaimed in a really OTT disappointed voice about how much I had wanted to watch it and that I was gutted to have missed it.  Essentially giving her the message that I had wasted my time being out with her. 

She gave me the cold shoulder after that and declined any further offer to go out with me. 

The older me looks back and puts hand to forehead screaming what on earth were you thinking. I am not a smooth ladies man by any stretch of the imagination but at that age I was totally clueless in how to flatter a lady. I had a big chance and totally blew it. 

The one that haunts me the most happened in school, I think I was about 15. We were doing drama and at the time that involved helping build the set for the school play. Lots of wood, lots of unruly children, paint pots on tables - a good combination! Anyway, I noticed one of the girls had sat in a bit of spilled paint when she had sat down on one of the tables and acting on genuine concern for her not getting gloss on her dress pointed it out in front of everybody. I didn't have a clue why she started crying and ran out, or why the teacher started ragging me out in front of everyone for being "so horrible", or why her friend ran out after her, or why one of my mates had dived behind the set we were building laughing his tits off. Obviously naive little old me didn't consider that it might not be red paint. Until the teacher had run out after the girls and the whole class en masse explained what had just occurred to me anyway. Suffice to say it was not red paint. I have never felt so small or naive or stupid. And yes, she was known in school as 'the periodic table' from that day on. It's making me cringe even thinking about it.

• Like 1

Life is incredibly short. Don't settle for being 6/10 happy. Take chances and if you're not happy, change things. Change everything if you have to.

When you're old and you've been unhappy for 5 decades, you're regret the shit out of worrying to much to make a big life decision.

Your life can change very quickly if you know what you want and you're prepared to put all of yourself into it

On 2/12/2017 at 00:08, chrisp65 said:

I was down to the last two in an interview for a car manufacturer's magazine. We were being interviewed side by side and the question asked was 'what are your two strongest qualities?'

First guy answered with some tosh about hard work or loyalty or creativity to deadlines or some such arse lickery. I said good looks and modesty.

The interviewer said he thought that was a bit of a stupid answer. I said it was because it was a bit of a stupid question. Totally owned the room, master of the **** universe.

Didn't get the gig. At the time, I was genuinely shocked I didn't get it.

That reminds me of the lesson I had to learn that sometimes you are expected to play a role and straying from the expected role - interview candidate, patient, guest etc - usually freaks out the person who is trying to play the reciprocal role and brings negative results.

In other words - stick to the script.

• Like 1

At the risk of starting something that nobody wants:

Religion don't work for me.

Took me a long time during my adolescence to work that one out.

On the pitch, my dad always told me "get your retaliation in first".

Talk to you significant other more, before problems escalate. I can't stress this enough. If I could have gone back to 2001 and jabbed this message into my thick skull it would have made summer 2001 a lot happier.

8 hours ago, dAVe80 said:

If it looks like cheese, but smells like fish, don't eat it.

If it stinks of fish and isn't fish, don't lick it. 

• Like 2

Â