Biggest lesson you've learned?

Dodgyknees

Live for today but plan for tomorrow.

Experiences are better than possesions. 

I should have admitted to my depression and sought help 10 years before I did. 

Never joke a trailing wire has given you a severe electric shock in front of your wife's boss who apparently lost her husband a few months ago when he mowed through the cable.  True story. 

• Like 4

A few years ago, when I became an adult, I asked my dad what advice he had, or if his father had ever given him any advice. 

He stopped for a few seconds and then said 'when in France, or indeed any expensive restaurant, always order steak one up from what you actually want'. 

So I said, 'you what'?

And he said, 'what I mean is, if you want your steak medium, you need to ask for it medium to well done at least'. 

I've never gone wrong with steak since. 

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, VILLAMARV said:

But humility never goes wrong. 

I was down to the last two in an interview for a car manufacturer's magazine. We were being interviewed side by side and the question asked was 'what are your two strongest qualities?'

First guy answered with some tosh about hard work or loyalty or creativity to deadlines or some such arse lickery. I said good looks and modesty.

The interviewer said he thought that was a bit of a stupid answer. I said it was because it was a bit of a stupid question. Totally owned the room, master of the **** universe.

Didn't get the gig. At the time, I was genuinely shocked I didn't get it.

Edited by chrisp65
  • Like 3

18 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

A few years ago, when I became an adult, I asked my dad what advice he had, or if his father had ever given him any advice. 

He stopped for a few seconds and then said 'when in France, or indeed any expensive restaurant, always order steak one up from what you actually want'. 

So I said, 'you what'?

And he said, 'what I mean is, if you want your steak medium, you need to ask for it medium to well done at least'. 

I've never gone wrong with steak since. 

I would say the exact opposite. Always order one DOWN, then there's some chance the damn thing won't be overdone. 

• Like 2

Always have something to look forward to. 

Appreciate the wait, looking forward to something is half the fun.

Do things because you love them. Life is too short to not do what you enjoy.

Enjoy your elders, unfortunately they won't be around forever. 

• Like 2

On 11/02/2017 at 16:25, BillyShears said:

When to shut my mouth.

Yes,  there are several times in my life I think back on and still wince about embarrassing things I have said. 

The one which haunts me the most is the one time I actually managed to pull a girl who was way out of my league,  almost a different sport in fact.  I noticed blokes staring at her when she was walking through the pub.  I have no idea what she saw in me. 

We had a really good night and I missed the last bus home. She invited me to her house to call a taxi.  We watched telly with her folks for a bit and they went to bed. 

We havd a bit of a snog in front of the telly and then she switched channels just as the closing titles to the film Red Sonia was on. I mean Red bloody Sonia,  an awful movie. 

I sat up and exclaimed in a really OTT disappointed voice about how much I had wanted to watch it and that I was gutted to have missed it.  Essentially giving her the message that I had wasted my time being out with her. 

She gave me the cold shoulder after that and declined any further offer to go out with me. 

The older me looks back and puts hand to forehead screaming what on earth were you thinking. I am not a smooth ladies man by any stretch of the imagination but at that age I was totally clueless in how to flatter a lady. I had a big chance and totally blew it. 

Edited by sidcow

Â