Formula One - 2017

BOF

I think his complete 100% acceptance and unreserved apology has saved him from further punishment.  I think the stewards initially made the wrong decision, and I don't for a moment think the FIA's hands were tied with regards to further punishment - as evidenced by what they said afterwards.  They could have banned him.  But I think Vettel's u-turn (har har) in accepting that everything that happened was all on him and that he was completely to blame, has given the FIA the possibility of letting this one go without affecting the drivers championship.  Albeit with the obvious caveat that he's on a final warning blah blah.

• Like 1

Points removed, race bans and / or a grid penalty could mean that Mercedes re- establish their dominance which is the last thing F1 wants or needs. 2 teams battling it out is exactly what will make this season and wouldn't be at all surprised if word was passed down to Ferrari as to what was expected to ensure it could be closed off.

Completely unsurprising, but no less disappointing for it :(

British Grand Prix future uncertain beyond 2019 as Silverstone activates break clause

British Grand Prix future uncertain beyond 2019 as Silverstone activates break clause

_96887515_silverstone.jpg

The future of the British Grand Prix has been left uncertain after Silverstone's owner confirmed it has activated a break clause to cease hosting the race after 2019.

Silverstone has been home to the race every year since 1987.

However, the British Racing Drivers' Club (BRDC), which owns the circuit, is struggling with the financial cost of hosting it.

"We have reached tipping point," said BRDC chairman John Grant.

"We can no longer let our passion for the sport rule our heads. We sustained losses of £2.8m in 2015 and £4.8m in 2016, and we expect to lose a similar amount this year."

"Our hope is that an agreement can still be reached, so that we can ensure a sustainable and financially viable future for the British Grand Prix at Silverstone for many years to come."

Silverstone hosted the first ever Formula 1 race in 1950. It then shared hosting the British Grand Prix with Brands Hatch and Aintree before becoming its permanent home 30 years ago.

Unlike many other tracks on the F1 calendar, Silverstone receives no government backing.

Silverstone's decision to end its contract to hold the British Grand Prix after 2019 does not necessarily mean there will not be a British Grand Prix at Silverstone in 2020 and beyond.

If that sounds confusing, bear with me.

Silverstone signed a 17-year contract with former Formula 1 boss Bernie Ecclestone back in 2009 that meant it had to pay £12m for the race in 2010. But the deal had a 5% annual escalator built into it, and a break clause after 2019.

The fee has now gone up sufficiently that Silverstone cannot continue to hold the race and break even, let alone make a profit. So it felt it had no choice but to exercise the get-out clause, which contractually needed to be done before this year's race.

But Silverstone still wants the British Grand Prix after that date, and Formula 1 still wants one, too. The rub, of course, is that the race does not necessarily have to be held at Silverstone.

F1's new chairman Chase Carey told BBC Sport this week that it is his "priority" for the event to stay at Silverstone but that there was "interest from other places, other UK options, that would have appeal".

It's not clear what these are, plural. But one of them is a much-rumoured potential street race somewhere in the east of London. Whether that is realistic is a different question.

For Silverstone to continue as host, F1 and the BRDC now have two years or so to try to hammer out a mutually satisfactory deal.

Realistically, this is the most likely option. But as Carey put it: "We are not there today."

On 7/4/2017 at 16:15, BOF said:

I think his complete 100% acceptance and unreserved apology has saved him from further punishment.  I think the stewards initially made the wrong decision, and I don't for a moment think the FIA's hands were tied with regards to further punishment - as evidenced by what they said afterwards.  They could have banned him.  But I think Vettel's u-turn (har har) in accepting that everything that happened was all on him and that he was completely to blame, has given the FIA the possibility of letting this one go without affecting the drivers championship.  Albeit with the obvious caveat that he's on a final warning blah blah.

Politics, everyone can see the FIA for commercial reasons need a Ferrari to win a Championship. They will try everything this season to allow Vettel to take the Championship. Mercedes have had there fun. I mean how the hell did Rosberg win his Championship last year, if it wasn't for Hamilton's breakdowns blah blah. 

Its happend before, anyone remember Senna/Prost. Most of us could even see Shumacher had the upper hand most of the time.

Jon Todt being the FIA guy and previous Ferrari Director doesn't help I guess.

Porsche considering an F1 engine from 2021. 

Translatey googley thingamejig from Germanic

Is Porsche entering Formula One as an engine manufacturer? Because of their uncertain LMP1 future, the Zuffenhausers are currently reviewing their motorsport program. In addition to Formula 1, Formula E should also be an alternative to WEC - or both.

So Lewis decided it better to sod off to Greece for a couple.of days rather than attend the London event for the British fans that the other 21 drivers were good enough to attend.

It's a good job he really values their support................

1 hour ago, mykeyb said:

So Lewis decided it better to sod off to Greece for a couple.of days rather than attend the London event for the British fans that the other 21 drivers were good enough to attend.

The BBC reported that Hamilton defended his decision not to attend the London event and then played a recording of Hamilton saying something like "You have be be strong and stand by your decision". There was no mention of why he didn't attend so I don't how he defended his decision in any way. :huh:

I'm off to the race tomorrow, picking up my mate at 6am :blink:

Hoping for a good race of course, not sure if I could will Lewis to retire in front of a home crowd. I'll let him have this one. 

19 hours ago, mykeyb said:

They played an interview with him the other night on 5Live. He was talking about all things outside of racing. Lewis Hamilton is a very odd man. He seems to be damaged goods for some reason. He just constantly goes on about stability and strength and doing everything before he dies. 

1 hour ago, Genie said:

They played an interview with him the other night on 5Live. He was talking about all things outside of racing. Lewis Hamilton is a very odd man. He seems to be damaged goods for some reason. He just constantly goes on about stability and strength and doing everything before he dies. 

He found religion

• Like 1

He's a cock and he's been a cock ever since he started F1.

I always say I back him because I always try to back the British drivers. 

But he makes it very difficult!

Not a huge Hamilton fan but acknowledge he is a classy driver.

pretty decent race today, Hamilton drove immaculately from the front but fair play to Bottas for an awesome drive too.

also a quality drive by Daniel ricciardo from the back of the field.

felt for Rainkonan, who probably had driven his best all season but at least he finished on the podium.

as for Vettel, how very amusing! 

Edited by theboyangel

Â