Formula One - 2017

BOF

16 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

I don't think he's a bad person. 

I just think he's an absolute clearing in the woods.

Exactly.  No-one's comparing him to Pol Pot.  It's not 2 extremes of humanity.  He's just a **** knob-end.  That's all.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Straggler said:

I like Hamilton.

I get that he has his moments where he is unlikable, but in the grand scheme of things I've not read anything that makes me think he is a bad human being, certainly not enough to prevent me from being a fan or enjoying his victories.  I don't pretend to know his life well, I'm not really interested in sports people or celebrities personal lives so I could well have missed a bunch of stuff, but even in this thread the level of criticism seems rather harsh for the behaviors he is accused of.

That is pretty much where I am with it. I admire his driving ability and driving style, and hope for a win for the British drivers everytime. He has clearly been the best British Race Driver in my lifetime, arguably the best of all time as he has more titles to his name than the others.

Some of the terminology used suggests a real deep hatred of the guy, calling someone a C Word is the harshest of things in my opinion and a word I rarely use, but I guess other people it is more acceptable everyday word. We are all different in that respect.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Anyway, not all people think he is an arse!

Mercedes technical chief James Allison hails Lewis Hamilton

Allison added: "It has been a considerable pleasure joining Mercedes this year for many, many reasons but one of those was that it was my first opportunity to start working alongside Lewis.

"I've found a racing driver or the sort of excellence that all of us can see from his statistics and the way he goes about his job but what has been particularly good is that I've found a guy that conducts himself as a man in a way that makes you happy to work alongside him. And that's been an enjoyable and good thing about joining Mercedes."

1 hour ago, NeilS said:

arguably the best of all time as he has more titles to his name than the others.

Arguable indeed :) It's generally accepted* that Jim Clark takes that mantle though.  Hamilton is one of the greats no doubt, but there are a few mythical drivers that are greats amongst the greats, and Clark is one of those.

* As 'accepted' as something like that can be.

14 minutes ago, BOF said:

Arguable indeed :) It's generally accepted* that Jim Clark takes that mantle though.  Hamilton is one of the greats no doubt, but there are a few mythical drivers that are greats amongst the greats, and Clark is one of those.

* As 'accepted' as something like that can be.

Yeah to be fair it is one of those unquantifiable things to be honest, I perhaps should have said one of, and I think Clark should be considered one of as well. I don't think you can ever compare like for like across different eras in any sport, as there are many different factors to be taken into consideration such as their fellow Competitors would be different, as well as the tech in the cars they drove. So for me it is impossibly hard to judge one against the other. I perhaps should have called him the most succesful British racer to date, with his 3 possibly 4 Driver World Titles.

3 hours ago, NeilS said:

Yeah to be fair it is one of those unquantifiable things to be honest, I perhaps should have said one of, and I think Clark should be considered one of as well. I don't think you can ever compare like for like across different eras in any sport, as there are many different factors to be taken into consideration such as their fellow Competitors would be different, as well as the tech in the cars they drove. So for me it is impossibly hard to judge one against the other. I perhaps should have called him the most succesful British racer to date, with his 3 possibly 4 Driver World Titles.

I don't disagree with anything you said there.  But sometimes successful and talented aren't necessarily tied. I always use Dan Marino as the example. No rings to his name but general regarded as one of the best quarterbacks ever. Just didn't have the team around him. Similarly, arguably the fastest F1 driver ever (yes number 1) is Gilles Villeneuve. Enzo Ferrari called him the closest thing to Tazio Nuvolari he'd ever seen. And Tazio IS the greatest driver ever bar none. You should look both of them up (biographies) if you're not familiar with them. Fascinating stories.

3 hours ago, Meath_Villan said:

All these drivers are good ........But They are no ..................................

article-2536910-00DA607800000190-488_634

That's true. They've never owned a shit night club off Grafton Street. 

• Like 2

15 hours ago, BOF said:

I don't disagree with anything you said there.  But sometimes successful and talented aren't necessarily tied. I always use Dan Marino as the example. No rings to his name but general regarded as one of the best quarterbacks ever. Just didn't have the team around him. Similarly, arguably the fastest F1 driver ever (yes number 1) is Gilles Villeneuve. Enzo Ferrari called him the closest thing to Tazio Nuvolari he'd ever seen. And Tazio IS the greatest driver ever bar none. You should look both of them up (biographies) if you're not familiar with them. Fascinating stories.

Oh yeah, totally agree with the first point.

I recognise the names especially Gilles Villeneuve as he is Jacques father, but not the full stories behind those drivers, I will have to read up on them. I know that the cars they raced in back in those days were totally different animals to todays cars. They were extremely brave and courageous guys to do what they did back.

20 minutes ago, NeilS said:

Oh yeah, totally agree with the first point.

I recognise the names especially Gilles Villeneuve as he is Jacques father, but not the full stories behind those drivers, I will have to read up on them. I know that the cars they raced in back in those days were totally different animals to todays cars. They were extremely brave and courageous guys to do what they did back.

The Villeneuve biography is stupidly cheap here.

7f7f42ac33c83bbc45600cb44050ea69.png

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
36 minutes ago, Meath_Villan said:

Just dont like hamilton ...or seb .....hope verstappen has a car next year he looks like the only driver able to mount a challenge 

Verstappen has only just turned 20, I don't think that there is any doubt that he'll get his big chance soon.

Although I think I heard them say tonight that he's just signed to stay with Red Bull until 2020 

1 minute ago, leemond2008 said:

Verstappen has only just turned 20, I don't think that there is any doubt that he'll get his big chance soon.

Although I think I heard them say tonight that he's just signed to stay with Red Bull until 2020 

what engine are they rolling with next year ? has it been decided ? .....Is torro going with the god awful honda ?

9 hours ago, Meath_Villan said:

what engine are they rolling with next year ? has it been decided ? .....Is torro going with the god awful honda ?

They are sticking with Renault next year I think

Edited by leemond2008

20 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

Shocking decision at the end there to put the second Ferrari on the podium. 

Watching it live I agree, but the replays show verstappen had all 4 wheels well of the track and effectively cutting the corner so the penalty was deserved, as for verstappens argument that cars had been off track all week end without punishment is true but every car was doing it in the same 2 corners so no one got an advantage and verstappen cut the track where no one else did all weekend

• Like 1

I understand that Verstappen has essentially broken the rules, but why give the drivers that option in the first place? Every driver is going to try and find corners to cut and shave a few seconds off, and that track layout gave him that option. If he had to put 4 wheels onto the grass to get past him, firstly he may think twice about doing so, and secondly, if he did go for it and got through, then he'd deserve that place. Also, if cutting that corner gains an advantage, why were cars not doing it there for the whole race? As far as I'm aware, there were only two corners that the stewards were looking at for the whole weekend, and that wasn't one of them. 

I thought it was brillliant racing but ultimately the correct decision by the stewards.  I wouldn't criticise Verstappen in any way for what he tried to do.  They're both brilliant racers and that was the most exciting racing F1 has seen in yonks.  It was pure instinctive driving and it's the kind of dicing sorely lacking from F1.  To criticise it, I think, is to lose perspective.  We can talk about consistent implementation of rules.  But 2 wrongs don't make a right i.e. just because others were getting away with it half way round the lap and race doesn't mean he should too.  We can also talk about having proper kerbs.  Kerbs that can not be cut.  I don't know whether that's even feasible or desireable for modern tracks.  I'd like it.  But it might be too tough on these precious little cars.  All I know is, even with the penalty, Verstappen won that duel and has laid down a marker.  They all know exactly how good he is and I think it's great for F1.

Â