Formula One - 2017

BOF

For me I don't tend to care whether I like the personality of X, Y or Z. I don't get caught up in that side of things as you only ever get snapshots of a famous persons personality. For all the bad stuff, there is probably good stuff going on behind the scenes that we don't know about, or vice versa bad stuff. I tend to like sportspeople, musicians and actors based on whether they entertain me or do a good job. I also tend to favour sports people representing my team or country just as a national pride thing. For what it is worth, I think most sports people who are born winners tend have a nasty or ruthless streak in them, that is what takes them to the very top.

Just now, NeilS said:

For me I don't tend to care whether I like the personality of X, Y or Z. I don't get caught up in that side of things as you only ever get snapshots of a famous persons personality. For all the bad stuff, there is probably good stuff going on behind the scenes that we don't know about, or vice versa bad stuff. I tend to like sportspeople, musicians and actors based on whether they entertain me or do a good job. I also tend to favour sports people representing my team or country just as a national pride thing. For what it is worth, I think most sports people who are born winners tend have a nasty or ruthless streak in them, that is what takes them to the very top.

There's a difference though. Being nasty on the track/pitch/court whatever doesn't have to translate to real life.

I agree with you, they often have a nasty streak. But a lot of them leave that on the track.

Hamilton doesn't. He's a word removed.

4 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

There's a difference though. Being nasty on the track/pitch/court whatever doesn't have to translate to real life.

I agree with you, they often have a nasty streak. But a lot of them leave that on the track.

Hamilton doesn't. He's a word removed.

What has he done away from the track/sport? I did see he got in trouble for driving offences in Australia a few years, but can't say I have noticed much else.

40 minutes ago, NeilS said:

What has he done away from the track/sport? I did see he got in trouble for driving offences in Australia a few years, but can't say I have noticed much else.

His personality. He's a cock.

1 hour ago, NeilS said:

A good friend of mine works at the Mercedes high performance engine plant who make the F1 engines. During British GP week it was well documented that he pissed off to Greece with his mates on holiday rather than attend a fans event. He also didn't go to the Engine plant. Toto Wolff was there with the other management, Bottas was there as were the Force India drivers and team management, no Hamilton. They were not best pleased given what they do to make his car so fast and earn him millions of pounds.

Like Stevo I'll always back the Brit in sports... apart from Lewis. I always find myself wishing the worst for him (not death obviously).

• Like 1

On 07/02/2017 at 10:51, BOF said:

I'd expect that maybe Mercedes' lead at the front won't be what it was, but they're more likely to stay there for the time being.

Well I'm right there.  Their lead is nearly half what it was at this stage last season (222 v 118), but it's still a lead.

You'd imagine Red Bull will make gains what with Newey's genius.  You'd expect their aero to be quick right out of the box.

Red Bull have not made gains.  They've stood still pointswise.  At this stage last season they were 222pts behind Mercedes.  Now they're 233 behind, and Ferrari have overtaken them.

It'll be interesting to see how close Bottas can get to Hamilton

Closer than expected tbh.  59pts and 3rd in the WDC.  10 podiums a good return on 15 races so far as well.

and I'm once again expecting big things from Verstappen.

Has had horrendous luck that was mostly not his own fault.  Has definitely shown he has the X factor though.  Is the one racer the big guys genuinely fear and his star has not dimmed in the slightest.  Out-scored by the more consistent Ricciardo this season, but where Ricciardo is a solid 8.5 every race, he'll never reach the levels this kid can reach.

Will Ferrari be able to close on the top 2

Yes!  They've comprehensively overtaken Red Bull.  A 15pt deficit last season is now a 115pt lead, and they've more than halved the deficit to Mercedes.  That's some turnaround.

and will Force India be able to maintain best of the rest.

Yes they have.  Fourth place, 111pts and a 57pt lead over Williams has turned into fourth place, 133pts and a 68pt lead over Williams.  The gap to 3rd has also come down from 189pts to 137pts.

EDIT : Cuz I'm a dumbass.

4 minutes ago, Genie said:

A good friend of mine works at the Mercedes high performance engine plant who make the F1 engines. During British GP week it was well documented that he pissed off to Greece with his mates on holiday rather than attend a fans event. He also didn't go to the Engine plant. Toto Wolff was there with the other management, Bottas was there as were the Force India drivers and team management, no Hamilton. They were not best pleased given what they do to make his car so fast and earn him millions of pounds.

Like Stevo I'll always back the Brit in sports... apart from Lewis. I always find myself wishing the worst for him (not death obviously).

Small world. My best mate of 40 years that I still see every week and occasionally holiday with, also works at Brixworth. I get some very small snippets of 'inside' information but it's more on a geeky technical level than something interesting to a typical F1 fan and it's certainly not something I would risk a 40 year friendship for sharing!

I can say that during numerous 'meet and greets' over the years, Rosberg and Bottas seem nicer, more genuine blokes and Niki Lauda is very funny. Other than being a great driver, my views on Hamilton are curtailed by my Mom's advice - 'if you can't say anything nice, don't say anything at all'.

13 minutes ago, BOF said:

Yes!  They've comprehensively overtaken Red Bull.  A 15pt deficit last season is now a 115pt lead, and they've more than halved the deficit to McLaren.

I'm not sure Ferrari are currently too concerned about McLaren!

1 hour ago, BOF said:

Red Bull have not made gains.  They've stood still pointswise.  At this stage last season they were 222pts behind McLaren.  Now they're 233 behind, and Ferrari have overtaken them.

:huh:

It will be interesting to see if any further action is taken after this footage has been released. Vettel will soon have as many driver penalty points as race points at this rate! :D

I suspect no further action will be taken though, as the FIA won't want to end the Drivers Championship early.

New in car footage of Vettel Stroll collision

New footage of Sebastian Vettel's collision with Lance Stroll after the Malaysia GP has emerged and been published by Sky Sports F1.

The fresh camera angles, which were not available for examination by the Sepang stewards when they investigated the crash, are from on-board Stroll's Williams car and seemingly exonerate the teenager from blame - while asking fresh questions about Vettel's post-race manoeuvre.

16 minutes ago, NeilS said:

It will be interesting to see if any further action is taken after this footage has been released. Vettel will soon have as many driver penalty points as race points at this rate! :D

I suspect no further action will be taken though, as the FIA won't want to end the Drivers Championship early.

New in car footage of Vettel Stroll collision

New footage of Sebastian Vettel's collision with Lance Stroll after the Malaysia GP has emerged and been published by Sky Sports F1.

The fresh camera angles, which were not available for examination by the Sepang stewards when they investigated the crash, are from on-board Stroll's Williams car and seemingly exonerate the teenager from blame - while asking fresh questions about Vettel's post-race manoeuvre.

Interesting.  From what was available immediately after the race, it looked like Stroll straightened his line slightly.  Now this footage shows he did at least keep his wheel constant.  Now whether the corner sharpens, requiring a harder turn of the wheel which never came, that's a possibility.  Because the outside footage did look like he took more road as the corner progressed.  It's certainly not clear cut though.

21 minutes ago, BOF said:

Interesting.  From what was available immediately after the race, it looked like Stroll straightened his line slightly.  Now this footage shows he did at least keep his wheel constant.  Now whether the corner sharpens, requiring a harder turn of the wheel which never came, that's a possibility.  Because the outside footage did look like he took more road as the corner progressed.  It's certainly not clear cut though.

Yes, it does look a lot different from the in car footage compared to my memory of the incident first time around. It looks worse from Vettel is this latest video, but my initial feeling was Stroll had moved across more and into Vettel. Probably six of one, and half a dozen of the other with this one on reflection. It is certainly an odd incident, I have never seen anything like that happen before.

Well another disaster for Vettel and it's Hamilton's to lose now.  Can't see him throwing enough points away now, and in any case, it looks like it would be Red Bull and not Ferrari there to pick them up if he did.

So for Austin, we have Jolyon Palmer leaving his Renault seat, Sainz switching from Toro Rosso and taking his place.  Kvyat coming back into Toro Rosso in Sainz's absence, and Pierre Gasly's STR seat still up in the air because Honda may demand that he race in the Super Formula finale, where they're half a point behind rivals Toyota.

Bw funny again when Hamilton wraps up the title to see how few people seem to like him. I remember when he wrapped it up last time (in the US I think) none of the drivers gave him any more than a very awkward handshake (for the camera's). In the waiting area for the podium the other drivers didn't even speak to him.

I like Hamilton.

I get that he has his moments where he is unlikable, but in the grand scheme of things I've not read anything that makes me think he is a bad human being, certainly not enough to prevent me from being a fan or enjoying his victories.  I don't pretend to know his life well, I'm not really interested in sports people or celebrities personal lives so I could well have missed a bunch of stuff, but even in this thread the level of criticism seems rather harsh for the behaviors he is accused of.

Â