Formula One - 2017

BOF

Just now, mykeyb said:

I may be in the minority but Spa as a race track is a bit meh....

It's a 6/10 for me on the Spa Track.  I have driven round it loads and loads on the playstation in my seat,  some of it is amazing, but,

I like it apart from the chicane at the end.  They could have done so much more with that part,  unless you are a muppet you will not lose a place there under braking so after all the big straight it dies a death IMO, from there until the long straigh after the dip there is not much passing possible due to the tight turn in the the first fast dip.  

I think the bit at the start down the hill is breathtaking and the undulations and the weather are why people like it so much + it's in a super handy place for D / NL  / B / GB / FR fans to get too so maybe that plays a part.

• 4 weeks later...

Not a huge surprise as it was always going to happen next season anyway, but Toro Rosso have dropped rested Daniil Kvyat with immediate effect and replaced him with reigning GP2 champion Pierre Gasly for the next few races.

On 8/29/2017 at 10:40, Amsterdam_Neil_D said:

It's a 6/10 for me on the Spa Track.  I have driven round it loads and loads

WOW!

On 8/29/2017 at 10:40, Amsterdam_Neil_D said:

on the playstation in my seat

Oh.

• Haha 1

With Ferrari and to a lesser extent Red Bull sorting out their engine performance it seems that the aero package is coming to the fore, Hamilton might have done enough to secure this years Championshop barring any disasters but next year is going to be very interesting, looks like Mercedes might be coming back to pack now.

Malaysia is a weird one though.  Red Bull came 1,2 there last year.  So Japan will give us a better idea of whether they've turned a corner or whether they've just been to their favourite track.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, brommy said:

With very few exceptions, it appears that the skill of an F1 driver is inversely proportional to how likeable they are. As such, Hamilton is a very good driver.

You know I'm a bit of a hypocrite when it comes to Hamilton. If I'm having a conversation with mates in the pub I'd be telling them that i think he's a unpleasant character, a childish bloke that throws his toys out of the pram when things aren't going his way and who lost himself up his own arse years ago. 

Then come race weekend i find myself supporting him and i don't know why. Maybe its because he's English, maybe its because i still remember him in his breakthrough season when he seemed a genuinely humble kid, i really don't know. 

2 hours ago, av1 said:

You know I'm a bit of a hypocrite when it comes to Hamilton. If I'm having a conversation with mates in the pub I'd be telling them that i think he's a unpleasant character, a childish bloke that throws his toys out of the pram when things aren't going his way and who lost himself up his own arse years ago

Then come race weekend i find myself supporting him and i don't know why. Maybe its because he's English, maybe its because i still remember him in his breakthrough season when he seemed a genuinely humble kid, i really don't know. 

It's the bold type which changed me from your last paragraph to your first. Shame really as for all his wealth and driving ability, I genuinely wouldn't swap my life with his.

13 hours ago, av1 said:

You know I'm a bit of a hypocrite when it comes to Hamilton. If I'm having a conversation with mates in the pub I'd be telling them that i think he's a unpleasant character, a childish bloke that throws his toys out of the pram when things aren't going his way and who lost himself up his own arse years ago. 

I support him because he's British and I always want the British drivers to do well.

But I can't remember a more unlikeable driver than Hamilton. He is an utter arsehole.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, brommy said:
15 hours ago, av1 said:

Shame really as for all his wealth and driving ability, I genuinely wouldn't swap my life with his.

I really don't ever remember the person you're describing in the bold text.  I do remember some transparent attempts to appear humble throughout his career.  Usually in the aftermath of having acted the prick and trying to fix it.  But no, his breakthrough season to me was a few examples of 'rules don't apply to me' because of some blisteringly quick drives which just emboldened the clearing in the woods.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, LakotaDakota said:

Think if you put the 3 of them in exactly the same car it would finish 1:Hamilton, 2:Alonso, 3:Vettel on the majority of tracks

It's one of those great bar-room discussions that has no real answer and everyone has their own opinions.  I think if Vettel gets on pole he's the most difficult to oust from the front.  I think Hamilton has tracks he doesn't like, and I think Alonso can recover from setbacks better than any of them.  Over a season right now, I think Hamilton would come out on top.  But taking each at their peak, Alonso at his best would edge it for me.

2 hours ago, BOF said:

I really don't ever remember the person you're describing in the bold text.  I do remember some transparent attempts to appear humble throughout his career.  Usually in the aftermath of having acted the prick and trying to fix it.  But no, his breakthrough season to me was a few examples of 'rules don't apply to me' because of some blisteringly quick drives which just emboldened the clearing in the woods.

Agreed.

Didn't he call backmarkers something like "those monkeys at the back of the grid" in his first season?

Â