Formula One - 2017

BOF

Just on the off-chance that you ever find yourself in Auckland, I'd heartily recommend a visit to the Bruce McLaren Trust. It's the most home-made "museum" I've ever been to but what it lacks in polish, it more than makes up for in charm. It's currently housed in the old family home above the garage where Bruce worked as a youngster.

YtkjhbO.jpg

This is his childhood bedroom.

Dqu3x7D.jpg

The only pity is that the current F1 team are entirely disinterested in supporting the work at all.

• Like 1

If I do ever find myself in Aukland then yes I think I'd probably end up there :)  Shame that McLaren don't bother helping.  Knowing them they'd probably prefer an enormous slick showroom type dealie.

10 minutes ago, mykeyb said:

So Sauber are sticking with ferrari engines and surely McLaren will only stick with Honda if there isn an alternative ie Mercedes. 

Where does that leave Honda?

I suspect that this means that Honda are on the right track finally... courtesy of some self-interested on the qt help from FIA/Merc at least and I'd bet Ferrari/Renault were happy enough to keep them on board too.

So, bit of a dull race today. Only real talking point was Hamilton giving back the podium to Bottas even though he left him way back down the road. I am not sure many drivers would do the same with such a big gap between them, let alone one chasing the drivers championship.

Only other talking point was Max's collision with Webber, it seemed a harsh penalty considering Vettel received the same penalty for deliberately driving into Hamilton a few races ago. I guess those are the rules though.

14 minutes ago, NeilS said:

So, bit of a dull race today. Only real talking point was Hamilton giving back the podium to Bottas even though he left him way back down the road. I am not sure many drivers would do the same with such a big gap between them, let alone one chasing the drivers championship.

Only other talking point was Max's collision with Webber, it seemed a harsh penalty considering Vettel received the same penalty for deliberately driving into Hamilton a few races ago. I guess those are the rules though.

I knew Paul di Resta was back, and Button the other week but didn't realise Mark Webber returned! 

• Haha 1

Was a very boring race. Couple of odd things happened, the first being Ricciardo losing his temper pretty badly which I can't really recall happening before (it was a racing incident imo) possibly slightly reckless from Max but no intent there really, certainly not the same intent as purposely driving into someone anyway eh Seb.

Secondly Hamilton giving the place back, fair play to him for doing it but as I had money on Hamilton getting a podium it was slightly annoying, Bottas was trading at about 5/1 at a certain point for the podium which was hardly surprising considering he was 8 seconds down on Hamilton at one point but fair play to Lewis for giving it back, not sure he would have done that for Rosberg.

28 minutes ago, Genie said:

I knew Paul di Resta was back, and Button the other week but didn't realise Mark Webber returned! 

Haha, oops. Don't know why I typed Webber, may have been the wine I consumed. Ricciardo obvs. :blush:

• Like 1

I didn't get to pay a whole lot of attention to the race yesterday because we was all round me mom n dads for Sunday dinner, and that included my sister and her 3 kids so it was pretty chaotic.

I know that the track is pretty difficult to overtake on isn't it, I think Hamilton actually said that before the race started, he pretty much said that it was out of his hands and he was relying on other peoples mistakes/misfortunes.

It doesn't sound like I missed much though.

nah, it was dull. oddly enough the red bulls crashing - usually an "exciting incident" - only served to spoil what interest there could have been. They really need to sort out this issue with cars running behind one another.

Big credit to Hamilton on giving that place back, but I gotta say I'm a teeny bit disappointed in Bottas even taking it back.  Obviously he thinks he can stilll win the WDC and those points will be important.  But I dunno.  I think I'd have said thanks for the offer and let Lewis keep it.  But again, big kudos to Lewis for doing it.  He goes up in my estimation for that.

Now I'm reading quotes that he regrets giving the place back.  So a partial credit Lewis, given that the real you in the cold light of day wouldn't have done that.  It'll also make Valtteri think twice about giving you the next opportunity.  These things tend to come back around.

5 minutes ago, BOF said:

Now I'm reading quotes that he regrets giving the place back.  So a partial credit Lewis, given that the real you in the cold light of day wouldn't have done that.  It'll also make Valtteri think twice about giving you the next opportunity.  These things tend to come back around.

The quotes I read were more him saying he'd regret it if those 3 points were the difference between him winning the title or not which I can't see any issues with. At the end of the day he did let him back through and in my opinion he does deserve full credit for doing so.

Edited by tom_avfc

10 minutes ago, tom_avfc said:

The quotes I read were more him saying he'd regret it if those 3 points were the difference between him winning the title or not which I can't see any issues with. At the end of the day he did let him back through and in my opinion he does deserve full credit for doing so.

Yep you're right.  Full credit to him.  It was naughty BBC editorialising his quotes for a headline.

Here's what he actually said

Hamilton insisted it was "the right way to do things" but admitted that by the time he made the final call on the last lap it was "a kind of grey area" and rued: "I don't think I'll ever get back those three points."

The decision to let his team-mate back past on the last lap, Hamilton said, was "more from the heart".

"The mind is more cut-throat and 'every point counts and this is do or die'. But my heart tells me the right thing to do is let him by," he added.

"My thought process is: 'I am faster than the guy, I think I can have a chance of winning this race for you guys. Let me go. Give me that chance or we are just wasting potential points for the team.' In my mind, I am: 'If he lets me past and I can't pull away then I will reverse it.'"

"If he let me by and I pulled him along and we were two seconds apart, it is a much easier thing to let him back," Hamilton said. "But I was seven seconds up ahead and with the Ferraris, and the team were in a difficult position.

"But it showed I am a man of my word and also that I am a team player. I am just as much a part of the team as anyone in it. It shows unity.

"In life, if you do good things, good things come back to you so hopefully globally as a team in our good doing it will pay dividends."

But still the conflict. Was three points a price worth paying for team harmony?

"I can't answer that," Hamilton said. "I lose the world championship; I don't know what I would say then if it is by three points or in that vicinity. But as I said I want to win it the right way."

"In my mind I want to win the championship the right way," Hamilton said. "I don't know whether that will come back to bite me in the backside or not but I said at the beginning of the year I want to win it the right way and I do think today was the right way to do things."

It seems he's maturing in his old age :)

• Like 1

I watched the first half of the race but then had to head out.

Didn't Bottas let Lewis through in the first instance? Not sure why Lewis is getting kudos for giving the place back that was given to him? He wouldn't have had 3rd to give back if his team mate hadn't let him pass.

41 minutes ago, Genie said:

I watched the first half of the race but then had to head out.

Didn't Bottas let Lewis through in the first instance? Not sure why Lewis is getting kudos for giving the place back that was given to him? He wouldn't have had 3rd to give back if his team mate hadn't let him pass.

This is true but Hamilton ended up 8 seconds down the road and when you take into account Verstappen was only a second a half behind i would say Bottas is lucky that the team even ordered Hamilton to give the place back, could have easily used that as an excuse and let their number one keep the extra points. Credit all round basically.

1 hour ago, BOF said:

Yep you're right.  Full credit to him.  It was naughty BBC editorialising his quotes for a headline.

Here's what he actually said

It seems he's maturing in his old age :)

This is a good thing - because the guy is an absolute prick otherwise.

Another race track that is no good for F1 in its current format.

Fair play to Hamilton for what he did, after being 7 seconds in front despite falling back from the ferrari I think he was entitled to point out the Bottas had made the swap back impossible. Interesting that ferrari were prepared to sacrifice Kimi to try and get Vettel the win.

Edited by mykeyb

Probably Hamilton playing the long game here, if in his heart of hearts he felt he didn't have to give it back he needs to bank a bit of goodwill should he need it later in the season.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
Â