Scott Hogan

Demitri_C

Just now, turvontour said:

Surely Hogan needs to be starting. He’d scored about 20 in 30 iirc for Brentford before we bought him.

Also, that was in this division, so he’ll be familiar with the places we play, opposition defenders etc.

He has been starting. He got 1 in 9 

• Haha 1

He clearly didn't live up to his Brentford billing, but he was in and out with injury, and his main creator in the middle, Hourihane, didn't exactly set the world alight either.  He has more goals in pre-season than he got for us last term and is looking sharper.  I would hope some would let him show what he can do this season now that he has had more time to work with his teammates, and not write him off.

My only worry with him is keeping him from getting injured.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, BOF said:

He clearly didn't live up to his Brentford billing, but he was in and out with injury, and his main creator in the middle, Hourihane, didn't exactly set the world alight either.  He has more goals in pre-season than he got for us last term and is looking sharper.  I would hope some would let him show what he can do this season now that he has had more time to work with his teammates, and not write him off.

My only worry with him is keeping him from getting injured.

If he scores goals - he will get in and stay in the team. I am sure he will get his chance - its whether he takes it Im less confident of.

Doesn't look like a shit hot striker in the same way as Micky Quinn didnt, but took his pre-season goals nicely and if we play to his strengths should score (we could've said the same about McCormack). I think we are much better set up now than last year and the formation should suit him, especially once we get some game time and a settled 11.

13 minutes ago, hippo said:

If he scores goals - he will get in and stay in the team. I am sure he will get his chance - its whether he takes it Im less confident of.

But you don't want to give him his chance, you want to piss even more money up the wall on another striker. 

Just now, dont_do_it_doug. said:

Christ, 9 starts for the club. Nine. Whilst carrying knocks. 

I bet you were the same ones writing Juan Pablo Angel off. 

I'm not sure there's many writing him off. Just expressing concerns and wether he should be starting on Saturday. 

I have no idea if he will be a success here I certainly wouldn't say it can't happen. 

• Like 1

Just now, DCJonah said:

I'm not sure there's many writing him off. Just expressing concerns and wether he should be starting on Saturday. 

I have no idea if he will be a success here I certainly wouldn't say it can't happen. 

Neither would I. John Terry's leg could fall off too. At some point we have to stop buying expensive strikers and trust in the talent we've already bought in.

Just now, dont_do_it_doug. said:

But you don't want to give him his chance, you want to piss even more money up the wall on another striker. 

So if we brought another striker - I take it you wouldn't welcome such a move ?

In a way there is no chance to give - he will get some game time - if he scores he will keep his place in the team.

I just don't think its a done deal, that he's going to be knocking them in for us. I would like  insurance against that. 

1 minute ago, hippo said:

So if we brought another striker - I take it you wouldn't welcome such a move ?

In a way there is no chance to give - he will get some game time - if he scores he will keep his place in the team.

I just don't think its a done deal, that he's going to be knocking them in for us. I would like  insurance against that. 

I wouldn't see the point in it, but I back every player who comes into the club so fine. Whatever. If we're going to spend real money on anything it should be a number 10 to supply him and/or Kodjia.

How much insurance can you have though, that's my point. We have Kodjia back in a couple of weeks or so assuming he is training now, Gabby looking decent in pre-season, and 3 genuinely talented kids coming through (It's about the only positions we seem top be producing at). 

When it boils down to it we either start creating chances for our strikers or we aren't getting promoted anyway. So unless you think Hogan doesn't have good movement and can finish, I don't see what you want here. A team full of Kodjia's? It isn't going to happen unless we blast another £10m at it. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

I wouldn't see the point in it, but I back every player who comes into the club so fine. Whatever. If we're going to spend real money on anything it should be a number 10 to supply him and/or Kodjia.

How much insurance can you have though, that's my point. We have Kodjia back in a couple of weeks or so assuming he is training now, Gabby looking decent in pre-season, and 3 genuinely talented kids coming through (It's about the only positions we seem top be producing at). 

When it boils down to it we either start creating chances for our strikers or we aren't getting promoted anyway. So unless you think Hogan doesn't have good movement and can finish, I don't see what you want here. A team full of Kodjia's? It isn't going to happen unless we blast another £10m at it. 

So you don't want another - but wouldn't mind if one comes. - ever thought of a career in politics ? 

1 minute ago, hippo said:

So you don't want another - but wouldn't mind if one comes. - ever thought of a career in politics ? 

I think what he's saying is we don't need another striker. I'd largely agree. If we get one then I hope he does well but actually getting a good supply up to our current strikers is more important for me at the moment. I'd rather a left winger or a number 10 to be honest - I think we've plenty up top already.

6 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

I don't think we are desperate for another striker but I don't see our forward line quite as positive. 

No pre season could really effect kodjia for the first few months. Gabby is never going to score enough and I'm a big Gabby fan. And how talented are these youngsters really? Davis will throw his physical weight around and cause problems and RHM seems overrated to me. I wouldn't trust either of them to score enough goals if we ended up relying on them. 

That's why we need Hogan to improve and become the player we want him to be. 

3 minutes ago, tom_avfc said:

I think what he's saying is we don't need another striker. I'd largely agree. If we get one then I hope he does well but actually getting a good supply up to our current strikers is more important for me at the moment. I'd rather a left winger or a number 10 to be honest - I think we've plenty up top already.

I thought Whelan and Elmo were the supply men ? 

If you look back at Hogan's career, he's now at the age of 25 and we're talking about a 32 game period where he has produced at a decent level. I don't think he's anywhere near the proven goal scorer others have faith in him to be. I think there's something about him which is good but he could easily be a very expensive flop with the flaws he has in his game. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, DCJonah said:

If you look back at Hogan's career, he's now at the age of 25 and we're talking about a 32 game period where he has produced at a decent level. I don't think he's anywhere near the proven goal scorer others have faith in him to be. I think there's something about him which is good but he could easily be a very expensive flop with the flaws he has in his game. 

Exactly this ^^^^^^^^^^^

Â