Viewing / Buying a house

Don_Simon

28 minutes ago, Genie said:

Might be even easier to overboard it and plaster it fresh. The wall is probably a right mess underneath if it’s the case.

I've been lucky with it in terms of the wall being fine underneath, but the removal of the woodchip was... yeah, wow :D 

• Haha 1

I had woodchip in every room, the problem can be how many coats of paint has it had and what is it hiding?

Steamer is a good idea but be careful not to leave it on the wall too long as it may "blow" the top coat of plaster. You also need to puncture the woodchip or score it so that steam and/or hot soapy water can get behind it and soften the adhesive.

On some walls in some rooms in my house the woodchip scraped of easily but on other walls it was horrendous....postage size bits ....

Another tip get the woodchip off before you put new flooring down !

Good luck, you will need it!.

Perhaps at the next international break a load of us VT ers can come over and help, make a change to discussing the conundrum of what constitutes a Full English Breakfast 😀

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Anthony said:

As a kid I had to remove the painted over woodchip paper in my bedroom, by myself with just a scraper and a sponge. From the ceiling.

Scraper and sponge! Check out Mr. Luxury over here. When I was a kid, I had to get the woodchip off the ceiling, walls, and floor with my fingernails and an old teaspoon, whilst Father lashed me. 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, hogso said:

Scraper and sponge! Check out Mr. Luxury over here. When I was a kid, I had to get the woodchip off the ceiling, walls, and floor with my fingernails and an old teaspoon, whilst Father lashed me. 

Was this before the age of ten? Was it this that turned you hardcore?

8 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

Life update, finally bought a house.

Went for something much cheaper than we'd been looking at before given interest rates and our situation, but feels good to finally have some money back in something that will actually appreciate. 

Congrats!

Still local to Sutton or a bit further out?

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Xela said:

Congrats!

Still local to Sutton or a bit further out?

Yeah still in Sutton. Couldn't find the couple of million quid I'd need to stay in Four Oaks so moving to Streetly

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

I think they've got woodchip on some of the ceilings but not the walls, thankfully

I can probably live with it on the ceilings

I’d just overboard it, and get it freshly plastered. Then it’ll look 👌 

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
1 minute ago, Stevo985 said:

Got the keys last Wednesday. Been in there every day since getting stuck in. It's **** brutal.

If I ever buy another house and it has wallpaper in every room I'm burning it to the ground

You were warned…

• Haha 1

Turns out the people that lived there were very much into their DIY. They did loads of it.

The only problem is, they weren't very good at it. It's a house of botch jobs.

Enjoying it though, just a lot more to do than I thought there was

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Turns out the people that lived there were very much into their DIY. They did loads of it.

We had the same with our previous house. We thought it just needing smartening up but once we got in we realised it needed completely gutting. Nothing could be saved. Move-in day we ordered a skip and starting ripping everything out (unplanned).

If I could have cancelled the deal and gone back to my previous house I’d have leaped at the chance.

The plus side is it forces you to make every room clean, fresh, modern.

Edited by Genie
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

The house we bought 16 years ago we still live in now , a very similar story of the Sunday DIYer lived here previously, my lord we’ve uncovered some mess , I think the worst of all was the lighting cables in the kitchen ceiling, luckily it was one of our first jobs to uncover , my pal who did the electrics was surprised the house hadn’t been on fire ! , I’ve got lots of friends who’ve also bought ex DIYer houses it takes a while but you’ll get there , keep going it’ll be your masterpiece 👍

• Thanks 1

On 28/03/2023 at 08:56, Genie said:

I’d just overboard it, and get it freshly plastered. Then it’ll look 👌 

Exactly. Anyone with half a brain knows this is the first thing you do.

There's always that risk as to what could be hiding underneath.

The amount of work we used to do for people who would insist paying us to remove their woodchip wallpaper, we would always advise them not to do it and spend the money and overboard and skim it all instead.

Yet, it's amazing the amount of folk that still insist on doing it anyway, then soon realise they should have just went with the overboarding and skimming to begin with.  🙄

• Like 1

Â