Viewing / Buying a house

Don_Simon

1 minute ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

There's no apparently about it Dem. They have.

If you can even get them, we’ve had £10 million projects stop because there weren’t materials, regardless of price.

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Whats reason? Brexit? Covid? Less people in industry now?

All of this, as @chrisp65 has just elaborated.

I also work in property maintenance and we now have the other end of the scale too where people either no longer can afford to have work done due to having to prioritise their finances elsewhere due to the cost of living affecting them etc. and/or simply don't want to pay the quotes I give them as my prices have also had to go up to cover the various costs/rises too.

People don't want to pay the quotes and I can't do the work any cheaper than quoted or it's not even worth me getting out of bed.

Another increasing mentality that I'm noticing (around here in Chester/Wirral) is that they expect you to decorate their entire 3 bed house for £200 and a cup of tea.

If it keeps up, I'll unfortunately be forced into another career change as the work is no longer coming in on the scale it once was compared to that of only 12 months ago. Sadly, I fear it will only get worse.

• Sad 1

7 hours ago, omariqy said:

Forget about £10m projects, what about my prospective house?!

Have you kept close to 100k to spare.? As @AvfcRigo82 says did you research costs before buying the property?

7 hours ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

All of this, as @chrisp65 has just elaborated.

I also work in property maintenance and we now have the other end of the scale too where people either no longer can afford to have work done due to having to prioritise their finances elsewhere due to the cost of living affecting them etc. and/or simply don't want to pay the quotes I give them as my prices have also had to go up to cover the various costs/rises too.

People don't want to pay the quotes and I can't do the work any cheaper than quoted or it's not even worth me getting out of bed.

Another increasing mentality that I'm noticing (around here in Chester/Wirral) is that they expect you to decorate their entire 3 bed house for £200 and a cup of tea.

If it keeps up, I'll unfortunately be forced into another career change as the work is no longer coming in on the scale it once was compared to that of only 12 months ago. Sadly, I fear it will only get worse.

I was looking at getting quotes for my drive and compared to before its like almost treble the price now as to what it use to be.

People dont have the momey to pay the work. I kind of had a feeling this might happen thats why i was generally looking for a proterty that didnt need major work (eg extensions, knocking down walls etx) thankfully thats saved me alot of money

• Like 1

6 hours ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

Where you not researching costs first to see if it was worthwhile going ahead with the planned extension(s)?

Yeah I’ve been looking around but the costs seem hard to pin down as the range given is so wide. I’ve managed to get someone to come look at it today to give an estimate. From what he says I think I’m ok 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, sidcow said:

More construction companies have gone bust this year already than at any time since the height of the Financial Crisis in 2012.

Curious what this will do to prices in the next year or two.

Will less firms available mean prices go up or will they drop their prices to try and gain work?

47 minutes ago, Rds1983 said:

Will less firms available mean prices go up or will they drop their prices to try and gain work?

Or have less manpower and thw job takes longer?

Its a vicious cycle tbh

56 minutes ago, Rds1983 said:

I would say construction costs inevitably rise.

Less competition = higher prices.  Especially if a number of the ones who have gone under tended to be the undercutters buying in the business.

• 2 months later...

Looking to move house, saw a property of interest. Good location but run down and dated and a fixer upper.

It's on for 285k I think.

Now I looked into the history as I presumed an old couple lived there judging by the lack of work on the kitchen, the awful old fashioned carpets and general disrepair.

No, this was bought in 2018 for 220k and looked more modern then.

"We bought a house for 220k, ripped a load of stuff out making it worse, put in horrific carpets and wallpaper, and let the outside areas fall into disrepair, garden a shambles, patio moss filled, veranda moss filled and garage and sheds doors falling apart. Now give me 65k."

2 minutes ago, rodders0223 said:

Looking to move house, saw a property of interest. Good location but run down and dated and a fixer upper.

Now I looked into the history as I presumed an old couple lived there judging by the lack of work on the kitchen, the awful old fashioned carpets and general disrepair.

"We bought a house for 220k, ripped a load of stuff out making it worse, put in horrific carpets and wallpaper, and let the outside areas fall into disrepair, garden a shambles, patio moss filled, veranda moss filled and garage and sheds doors falling apart. Now give me 65k."

It took us five years! Don't tell me how to do property!

• Haha 3

44 minutes ago, rodders0223 said:

It could have been an elderly couple who released the equity in the house in 2018 and continued to live there? 

Â