Viewing / Buying a house

Don_Simon

11 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

There is houses near me up at 875k and they are selling.

How the **** have people got this sort of money at the moment?

A neighbour of mine similar age to me, 2 kids, similar house and they’ve got a new Range Rover Sport and a new Porsche Macan on the drive. I’m thinking “how much must you guys be earning to pay for those???”

4 minutes ago, Genie said:

A neighbour of mine similar age to me, 2 kids, similar house and they’ve got a new Range Rover Sport and a new Porsche Macan on the drive. I’m thinking “how much must you guys be earning to pay for those???”

Do they run a drugs cartel?

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Genie said:

Must be a lease surely?

It does make me wonder how people are affording these things

8 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Must be a lease surely?

It does make me wonder how people are affording these things

Even if both leased, can’t be much change out of £1,000 a month (or actually more).

19 minutes ago, Genie said:

Even if both leased, can’t be much change out of £1,000 a month (or actually more).

Can see either of those cars being leased for less than £500/mth. These times we're living in are not affecting the wealthy at all it would seem.

1 minute ago, stuart_75 said:

Can see either of those cars being leased for less than £500/mth. These times we're living in are not affecting the wealthy at all it would seem.

A very quick look suggests RR Sport is well over £1,000 a month on its own, with £10k down.

Macan >£600 a month with £6k down.

😳

10 minutes ago, Genie said:

A very quick look suggests RR Sport is well over £1,000 a month on its own, with £10k down.

Macan >£600 a month with £6k down.

😳

Do you know what they are doing for a living ?

Most of the people on my road rareky go out so i assume thats how they have some money

Just now, Demitri_C said:

Do you know what they are doing for a living ?

Most of the people on my road rareky go out so i assume thats how they have some money

Nah, no idea. Fair play to them to be able to have these nice things especially in this climate.

I want a mid range Volvo and can't justify it atm, not because we can't afford it but because we'd rather use the money for other things.

People have different priorities innit 

3 hours ago, Genie said:

More on a lease I'd imagine.

I looked at leases last year when I thought I'd have to wait 6 months for my new car (I didn't in the end)

Cars are far more to lease than your monthly payments on a PCP deal would be.

£1000 a month for either of those cars without a hefty deposit

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Any recent experiences with time taken to complete searches? currently around the 4 week mark with Birmingham council at the moment but not sure if that’s approaching average or worse

thanks 

• 1 month later...

Anyone an expert on planning permissions and/or cost of extensions/lofts etc in this current climate? We've just sold our house and looking at one that needs a side extension, rear extension and loft doing but need to figure out what we can get away with in terms of planning (everyone else on the street has done similar work) and, more importantly, the potential costs. The latter is important so we can work out if what we are paying is the right price factoring in the work needed and what a house 2 doors down went for with all the work done.

5 minutes ago, omariqy said:

Anyone an expert on planning permissions and/or cost of extensions/lofts etc in this current climate? We've just sold our house and looking at one that needs a side extension, rear extension and loft doing but need to figure out what we can get away with in terms of planning (everyone else on the street has done similar work) and, more importantly, the potential costs. The latter is important so we can work out if what we are paying is the right price factoring in the work needed and what a house 2 doors down went for with all the work done.

I think @foreveryoung has recently done an extension 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, omariqy said:

My mates got quotes for similar work and buidling works got **** ridiculous. He wants to do a loft extension and his cheapest quotes been 90k! 

Apparently  "material costs " gone up since Brexit. 

5 hours ago, omariqy said:

We’ve just done a loft extension - two pitched dormers, load bearing wall down and a fair bit of steel in (for a smallish semi at least) - £45k all in. Throw in architect fees, building control, bay surveys etc and your talking close to £50k. Best quote we got and happy with the builders so very content with it. 

24 minutes ago, Villa87 said:

We’ve just done a loft extension - two pitched dormers, load bearing wall down and a fair bit of steel in (for a smallish semi at least) - £45k all in. Throw in architect fees, building control, bay surveys etc and your talking close to £50k. Best quote we got and happy with the builders so very content with it. 

Thanks that’s about what I was hoping for. I know it was probably 2/3 that a couple of years ago. 

Â