Viewing / Buying a house

Don_Simon

41 minutes ago, bobzy said:

Sure - but you need to be able to actually save in the first place :D 

True, I thought in this instance we were going with the starting point of having a chunk of cash and wondering what to do with it. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Xela said:

I read somewhere recently that £100k invested into an S&P500 mutual/tracker fund in 2001, would have been worth £452k now. Thats not bad considering you would have invested through 9/11 and the war on terror, a global recession and a global pandemic!

Not much hassle and can be managed from your armchair. 

How would one even start something like this? 

2 hours ago, lapal_fan said:

How would one even start something like this? 

Most of the big banks will have a consumer investment side plus companies like Hargreaves Lansdown, AJ Bell, Interactive Investor, Vanguard etc. Fund it through a Stocks and Shares ISA and you won't have any CGT to worry about in the future. Who do you bank with? Some banks even do 'ready made' portfolios depending on your risk level. 

For beginners, stick to passive tracker funds. Unless you really know what you are doing or have done your research, I wouldn't bother with individual equities (shares) or active funds. 

The last few years haven't been great for investors, as peoples pension pots will attest to! The thinking is that investing money in tracker funds will grow your savings far more than a cash savings account*

*eventually - you can lose money as values can go down as well as up. 

• 1 month later...
On 24/02/2023 at 17:40, Xela said:

Most of the big banks will have a consumer investment side plus companies like Hargreaves Lansdown, AJ Bell, Interactive Investor, Vanguard etc. Fund it through a Stocks and Shares ISA and you won't have any CGT to worry about in the future. Who do you bank with? Some banks even do 'ready made' portfolios depending on your risk level. 

For beginners, stick to passive tracker funds. Unless you really know what you are doing or have done your research, I wouldn't bother with individual equities (shares) or active funds. 

The last few years haven't been great for investors, as peoples pension pots will attest to! The thinking is that investing money in tracker funds will grow your savings far more than a cash savings account*

*eventually - you can lose money as values can go down as well as up. 

This this this.

Although the markets have been proper shaky since Ukraine. I'm down 10% since that all kicked off.

Long term though you're 100% right

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Life update, finally bought a house.

Went for something much cheaper than we'd been looking at before given interest rates and our situation, but feels good to finally have some money back in something that will actually appreciate. 

Also, I think we've got a bargain. House is really badly decorated, and the woman who sold it just wanted to get rid of it (her husband passed away and she wants to move in with her daughter) so ended up getting it at auction. Got it for far less than other houses on the road and all the decorating that needs doing is fairly simple stuff, there's just a lot of it. It's more painting and carpets than knocking anything down or proper renovation.

So hopefully we'll make a nice chunk of money on it as well. 

Should get the keys this week or next

If you want a tip for decorators let me know.

We just decorated our living room. We bought new furniture and added a fireplace. We papered the main wall and painted the other 3.

The intention was for us to do it ourselves but after seeing something on fb I thought I’d send out a few messages/pictures to people others had recommended just go see what the price would be.

Answer was less than I expected, and considering they’d do a far better job I went for it.

First day 8am 2 chaps turn up to paint the 3 walls. We had it all prepped but I was still shocked when they were already painting by 10 past. 90 mins later first coat is done 😳 and they go away for half an hour to grab a coffee. They come back, second coat and it’s genuinely faultless. All done by 11.

Next day different bloke comes to paper the wall. Again, just over 2 hours and he’s done and it’s perfect.

£200 well spent imo. 

They’d probably do an entire house in a couple of days at that speed. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Genie said:

If you want a tip for decorators let me know.

We just decorated our living room. We bought new furniture and added a fireplace. We papered the main wall and painted the other 3.

The intention was for us to do it ourselves but after seeing something on fb I thought I’d send out a few messages/pictures to people others had recommended just go see what the price would be.

Answer was less than I expected, and considering they’d do a far better job I went for it.

First day 8am 2 chaps turn up to paint the 3 walls. We had it all prepped but I was still shocked when they were already painting by 10 past. 90 mins later first coat is done 😳 and they go away for half an hour to grab a coffee. They come back, second coat and it’s genuinely faultless. All done by 11.

Next day different bloke comes to paper the wall. Again, just over 2 hours and he’s done and it’s perfect.

£200 well spent imo. 

They’d probably do an entire house in a couple of days at that speed. 

I think I'll attempt it myself, I'm actually quite excited about it. Someone is doing the carpets and floors for us (we're basically doing the whole house) and we'll have a carpenter coming to fit a bannister. But apart from that I think I can do it.

But in the very likely scenario that I either **** something up or get sick of it, I'll take you up on it :D 

The part I'm most worried about is actually taking wallpaper off. They have wallpaper everywhere and it's **** awful. So it all has to come off. The woman has lived there for 60 years so I bet a lot of that paper has been there for decades.

So I'm worried that it'll be really hard to get off and take ages and/or damage the walls when I do it

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

I think I'll attempt it myself, I'm actually quite excited about it. Someone is doing the carpets and floors for us (we're basically doing the whole house) and we'll have a carpenter coming to fit a bannister. But apart from that I think I can do it.

But in the very likely scenario that I either **** something up or get sick of it, I'll take you up on it :D 

The part I'm most worried about is actually taking wallpaper off. They have wallpaper everywhere and it's **** awful. So it all has to come off. The woman has lived there for 60 years so I bet a lot of that paper has been there for decades.

So I'm worried that it'll be really hard to get off and take ages and/or damage the walls when I do it

The wallpaper thing is what broke me. Every other time I’ve done it it’s been fine, bit of warm water and a scraper. This wallpaper (which I put up myself) was **** welded to the wall. I was doing well if I got any more than a postage stamp sized bit of paper off. I had to buy a steamer and even then it was a nightmare.

Old paper should come off nice and easy though. 

18 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

If it's woodchip, just go and buy a steamer.  The stuff is a **** nightmare.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, bobzy said:

Might be even easier to overboard it and plaster it fresh. The wall is probably a right mess underneath if it’s the case.

Congrats @Stevo985!

We have seemingly endless projects at the moment.

Finishing the garden, with gazebo thing, grill, shed and wood storage.

Next we're converting the garage into a day room for our kid, involves ripping out the garage door, putting heating in, building a new wall and adding a window.

1 minute ago, StefanAVFC said:

Congrats @Stevo985!

We have seemingly endless projects at the moment.

Finishing the garden, with gazebo thing, grill, shed and wood storage.

Next we're converting the garage into a day room for our kid, involves ripping out the garage door, putting heating in, building a new wall and adding a window.

Young Stefan has a kid? I was away a long time... 😯

37 minutes ago, Genie said:

The wallpaper thing is what broke me. Every other time I’ve done it it’s been fine, bit of warm water and a scraper. This wallpaper (which I put up myself) was **** welded to the wall. I was doing well if I got any more than a postage stamp sized bit of paper off. I had to buy a steamer and even then it was a nightmare.

Old paper should come off nice and easy though. 

28 minutes ago, bobzy said:

Yeah already invested in a steamer. It's literally every room, even the bathroom ffs, so it'll be well worth it

4 hours ago, villaajax said:

Young Stefan has a kid? I was away a long time... 😯

Oh its a rollercoaster ride I can tell you.

Edit. I read that as Stevo not Stefan, @StefanAVFC as much as I can recall is without rollercoaster.

Edited by Seat68
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Â