Gareth Southgate

Richard

On a general point it's quite interesting how many similarities there are to the mens defeat on Saturday to the female team losing to USA in World cup in 2019. That was a 2-1 loss with England coming from 1 down and also missing a penalty in last 10 minutes.

They took stock from that defeat, realised the profile of squad was good and went out and won a very winnable euros and now one of the favourites for next summers world cup. Guess aswell Southgate is a bit of a Phil Neville in that the tournament results are pretty decent but there's the feeling there's someone out there who would get England over the line and the FA did it with getting in Sarina Weigmann who had a proven record of winning tournaments and she did it.

Of course the standard is different but FA should be taking stock from what happened there and apply it to mens side.

50 minutes ago, chrisvilla4 said:

I think the England apathy has kicked in for me again and I couldn't care less if he stays or goes.

Same here. Didn't give a toss about this world Cup, just happy that it gives Unai time with the Villa squad.

5 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Well yes compared to the Lampard-Gerrard days when new guys coming into the squad later said how frosty and unwelcoming the atmosphere was because of the CL and league battles at the time.

Carrick also came out and said a few years back he hated being called up in those days, he can't have been the only one given how vicious the press/fans could be if England were in a poor run of form.

Other than Ben White it's a very happy camp these days which is often half the battle at international level to get a club spirit going. Del Bosque referenced it when he took over in 2008 and he needed to sit down the Barca-Real Madrid players and ease the tension and then they went and won the World cup.

Yeah but it is Southgate who is telling grealish to go to dubai on holiday with James maddison?

To me it's just what football is and it's happened naturally

Could even make an argument that the success of youth football has a bigger impact, not sure what they did in the youth set up back in earlier days but Foden, Hudson odoi, Gallagher, guehi and Sancho for example have played for England together for around 8 years including the world cup win 

The only way you lay it at Southgate's feet imo is as the FAs technical director or whatever he was before he got the big job

1 hour ago, Keyblade said:

It seems to be common wisdom that he changed the culture, and I was wondering why.

Without any evidence, it seems more likely that it's the result of the changing circumstances in English football rather than anything specific Southgate has done, but I could be wrong of course.

This is exactly what it is.

3 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Racism at its best. The england job should go to the best person available no matter where they are from just like any football job whether thats domestic or internationally 

Xenophobia, not racism.

I kind of get where he's coming from though.  I think International football is different from club football, the best players from the nation are picked to represent the team, the same should apply to coaching staff IMO.

The English FA using their wealth hiring an elite foreign manager is effectively cheating, no different to what City and PSG are doing throwing money about to buy success..

• Like 1

I think there's clearly evidence the culture has changed during his time in charge specifically. He's clearly much better at managing the players' relations with the media than any previous manager in the mass media age, and there has been a notable decline in people refusing call-ups, crying off with fake 'injuries', or moaning about what a hassle it all is. 

Similarly, those calling for him to resign may yet get their wish, but it should be clear from player interviews and comments that they don't want him to go anywhere. 

18 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

I think there's clearly evidence the culture has changed during his time in charge specifically. He's clearly much better at managing the players' relations with the media than any previous manager in the mass media age, and there has been a notable decline in people refusing call-ups, crying off with fake 'injuries', or moaning about what a hassle it all is. 

Similarly, those calling for him to resign may yet get their wish, but it should be clear from player interviews and comments that they don't want him to go anywhere. 

Of course they don’t!

All those players that were playing regularly but only for Aston Villa, Leicester and Leeds got an additional agent to flog them to sit on the benches at Sky 6 clubs for more money and less playing time but also a guaranteed spot in the squad…

I think it helps the staying cause that the Euros are only 18 months away. He might as well see out his original contract I think and then change after that. The horrendous USA game aside we did actually play well this tournament and were unlucky to not beat France. 

57 minutes ago, duke313 said:

Xenophobia, not racism.

I kind of get where he's coming from though.  I think International football is different from club football, the best players from the nation are picked to represent the team, the same should apply to coaching staff IMO.

The English FA using their wealth hiring an elite foreign manager is effectively cheating, no different to what City and PSG are doing throwing money about to buy success..

Exactly, Carragher isn't saying they should be English because he doesn't like foreign managers.  I agree that unless you are an emerging footballing nation where you need some expertise from overseas then really the manager should be a representative from the same country.

It's weird, yeah, usually best person for job whoever it is, but I do prefer it when international managers are 'homegrown'. And with bigger nations especially it's a bit damning if with all the money invested in our sport if we can't find an English manager up to the job. Can understand it more with smaller nations, looking to develop bringing in expertise from overseas. 

Not an issue I'm bothered enough to die on a hill over or anything, but I do confess given the choice, in this particular instance, I'd prefer an English option. Tuchel also feels like a disastrous choice irrespective of nationality anyway

• Like 1

Martinez is Spanish and flopped with generational Belgian squads. The argument doesn’t hold water. It’s very unfair to bring up Sven or Capello - relics of two very different eras of football. Off the pitch, Southgate has brought in good ideas and is a great PR voice and seems like a great bloke. On the pitch, however, the football just isn’t that. Maybe if the FA broke down barriers to ensure more equity in coaching this debate would be background noise. There’s a reason why the likes of Bruce and Big Sam always found themselves with jobs and many Black and other minorities found themselves pushed back. English football has deep problems. Until these problems are addressed, I have no problem whatever with a foreign manager. 

From 1999 you had Keegan, Eriksson, McLaren, Capello, Hodgson and Allardyce. Even if you factor in caretakers you had Stuart Pearce (lol), Peter Taylor and Howard Wilkinson. That’s an incredibly poor list of homegrown names and falls on the failures of the FA. 

28 minutes ago, The_Steve said:

He was happy to cheer for the Lionesses who have a foreign manager. He’s just a weapons grade word removed. 

Or, he just jumped on the girls playing football bandwagon to appear interested and boost his image?

I fancy a large number of Carragher types really couldn’t give a toss about womens football but they’d dare not state that for fear of being shut down by the morality police.

Â