Gareth Southgate

Richard

9 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Again, who should be? Bowen?  Sancho?

We don't have a crazy in form winger making the argument

I guess it shows up a bit of an area of weakness, and a frustration that when he was one of the most exciting players in the country he was over looked. Now he’s dropped from those very high standards and generally not doing what made him special he’s in.

37 minutes ago, Giro said:

Maguire hasn’t let England down in the past, only reason why I think he’s there

Germany and hungry games say different albeit not a tournament game. 

the squad announcement has left me flat as I expected it would. I’m pleased that Maddison’s in there because he deserves it on form same as Bellingham but you just know he will have Phillips having played 20 minutes all season and mount who other than against us has been woeful all season 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, villa4europe said:

But that's the problem, easy to say maguire shouldn't be there (he shouldn't...) but are mings, tomori or guehi really screaming from the rooftops that they should be?

England are not as strong right now as they're made out to be, as always

The difference is, the three you have mentioned are in better form than Maguire. That speaks for itself. 

Edited by sheepyvillian

This will be his last tournament in charge.

Most of the fans know he's a fraud and now the press/media are starting to come onboard he won't be lasting long.

We had our best ever chance in the Euro's against Italy and he blew that.

He's not going to turn into a magician and get a tune out of this bunch in the WC.

He is England's Gerrard.

I don't think i've ever gone into any major tournament supporting England feeling so underwhelmed, meh, cba as this one and it's all down to him. Pretty much the same feeling during the latter few games with Gerrard.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, villa4europe said:

Again, who should be? Bowen?  Sancho?

We don't have a crazy in form winger making the argument

olise maybe even Eze have done more than Grealish this season and can play wide

1 hour ago, Mozzavfc said:

Maguire is so bad he forces England to play a back 5 to cover for him. Madness he starts every game

He is to Southgate what McGinn was to Gerrard

Edited by Zatman

15 minutes ago, Zatman said:

olise maybe even Eze have done more than Grealish this season and can play wide

There's a wider criticism of Southgate there and how he handled the last cycle, especially after we'd been relegated from the NL

This is Wilsons first call up in 3 years, maddisons in 2 or 3, eze and olise never got a look in, I'm sure he called ESR up once, Bowen got some games and obviously tomori and guehi but he continously just played his plan A every game rain or shine, he picked the starting 11 for the world cup 18 months ago and he's too stubborn to change it, I think he's known maybe as many as 20 of the players who were going since last summer

10 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

There's a wider criticism of Southgate there and how he handled the last cycle, especially after we'd been relegated from the NL

This is Wilsons first call up in 3 years, maddisons in 2 or 3, eze and olise never got a look in, I'm sure he called ESR up once, Bowen got some games and obviously tomori and guehi but he continously just played his plan A every game rain or shine, he picked the starting 11 for the world cup 18 months ago and he's too stubborn to change it, I think he's known maybe as many as 20 of the players who were going since last summer

The thing about Southgate is I dont think he watches football or understands it but as he played once he thinks he is an expert. Most of his call ups are Sky 6 guys or players the media are talking about Rice/Bowen/Bellingham. I dont think he has ever called up a player that is unfashionable but in form maybe Targett 2 years ago for example when England had gaps at left back

He has probably never been to Italy to watch Tammy or Tomori live but I have seen Deschamps at Premier League games and Brazil manager was at Villa vs Newcastle recently

• Like 1

Â