Jump to content

FIFA


sidcow
 Share

Recommended Posts

  • VT Supporter

Sorry,  Suprised not to see an existing thread about Fifa.

So it appears that this organisation which has proved itself over and over and over and over again to be run by completely corrupt individuals in a completely corrupt fashion for no other reason than personal gain and greed are now not only investigating England and Scotland wearing Poppies but other pre match tributes. 

Personally I thought Fifa should have been disbanded and that England should have resigned membership when it became clear that despite spending millions of pounds on world Cup bids and having unquestionably the most compelling proposition we were utterly wasting out money time and energy because the only way to really win a world Cup was to pay huge sums of money to those making the decision regardless of how totally unsuitable and ridiculous your proposition was. 

That was enough for me but now I really really feel it's time to pull the plug on this obscene organisation.  

All home nations should resign as should any member of the allied forces who remember the sacrifice of individual young men for no political reason but just because it's the right and proper thing to do. 

Let Fifa organise their corrupt Word cups with Russia and a few Middle Eastern nations and see how long the sponsors hang about. 

Hope the FA spend proper money on legal fees to take them to the cleaners and don't back down. A cursory glance in a dictionary for the definition of Political should be enough anyway. 

Japan Germany and Italy should also do the right thing though Italy would probably chicken out obviously.

It's time to knock this lot on the head. 

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, sidcow said:

Sorry,  Suprised not to see an existing thread about Fifa.

So it appears that this organisation which has proved itself over and over and over and over again to be run by completely corrupt individuals in a completely corrupt fashion for no other reason than personal gain and greed are now not only investigating England and Scotland wearing Poppies but other pre match tributes. 

Personally I thought Fifa should have been disbanded and that England should have resigned membership when it became clear that despite spending millions of pounds on world Cup bids and having unquestionably the most compelling proposition we were utterly wasting out money time and energy because the only way to really win a world Cup was to pay huge sums of money to those making the decision regardless of how totally unsuitable and ridiculous your proposition was. 

That was enough for me but now I really really feel it's time to pull the plug on this obscene organisation.  

All home nations should resign as should any member of the allied forces who remember the sacrifice of individual young men for no political reason but just because it's the right and proper thing to do. 

Let Fifa organise their corrupt Word cups with Russia and a few Middle Eastern nations and see how long the sponsors hang about. 

Hope the FA spend proper money on legal fees to take them to the cleaners and don't back down. A cursory glance in a dictionary for the definition of Political should be enough anyway. 

Japan Germany and Italy should also do the right thing though Italy would probably chicken out obviously.

It's time to knock this lot on the head. 

 

I'm not opposed, at all, to the idea of leaving FIFA and encouraging others to do the same. Possibly it wouldn't work, but the value of the World Cup would be significantly reduced with no or few European sides taking part. 

However, as I have mentioned elsewhere on the site, their ban on political symbols during games makes sense and we should be punished for wearing poppies after both asking for permission to do so and then being expressly denied it. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1 month later...

Just voted to have 49 teams in the 2026 World Cup. 16 groups of 3 teams i.e. 1 team has a bye each round. 

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2017/jan/10/fifa-vote-expand-world-cup-48-teams-from-2026

Quote

The Fifa council has rubber-stamped plans to expand the World Cup to 48 teams from 2026, with the revamp proposed by the governing body’s president, Gianni Infantino, receiving unanimous backing.

Delegates in Zurich were asked to vote on four suggestions to change the existing format or stick with the current setup of 32 teams.

This is the first time since the 1998 World Cup that changes have been made to the makeup of the tournament, with the 2026 competition set to feature 16 groups of three.

Infantino’s preferred option for change was for a 2026 competition featuring the 16 groups followed by a 32-team knockout round, increasing the number of games from 64 to 80 but remaining inside a 32-day schedule. There were also options to have a 40-team tournament, with 10 groups of four or eight groups of five, but the only other 48-team makeup would mean a 32-team one-game knockout round, with the winners joining 16 already qualified teams. Infantino has also suggested that penalty shootouts be brought in to settle the results of all drawn games, thereby minimising the risk of teams colluding in their final group games to eliminate others from the tournament.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

One thing I haven't seen talked about that is in previous world cups, the last match in the group stages are played at the same time for teams in each group, to avoid chances of match fixing.

Groups of 3 make me think we'll see some fairly surprising results to see both teams in the game go through at the expense of the team that doesn't play on the last day.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Moderator

They have (further) removed the competitiveness from the earlier rounds and they've largely removed the accomplishment of qualifying for the competition in the first place.  It's now a glorified qualification campaign where 16 countries will have the expense of having to turn up for 2 first round group games and then bugger off home, and all the logistics that goes with that.  The remaining 32 will then start in what should be the proper finals tournament.  It's ridiculous money-motivated bloat from one of the greediest entities on the planet.

The farce is that you would imagine that on average the sides who go home after round 1 will by and large be the smaller federations and therefore the federations least capable of handling the financial expense of going in the first place.  It puts money in FIFA's coffers under the guise of expansion and inclusion and all those lovely buzz words when in fact it'll probably cut the minnows to shreds.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, BOF said:

They have (further) removed the competitiveness from the earlier rounds and they've largely removed the accomplishment of qualifying for the competition in the first place.  It's now a glorified qualification campaign where 16 countries will have the expense of having to turn up for 2 first round group games and then bugger off home, and all the logistics that goes with that.  The remaining 32 will then start in what should be the proper finals tournament.  It's ridiculous money-motivated bloat from one of the greediest entities on the planet.

The farce is that you would imagine that on average the sides who go home after round 1 will by and large be the smaller federations and therefore the federations least capable of handling the financial expense of going in the first place.  It puts money in FIFA's coffers under the guise of expansion and inclusion and all those lovely buzz words when in fact it'll probably cut the minnows to shreds.

Well said and completely agree

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • VT Supporter
3 minutes ago, BOF said:

They have (further) removed the competitiveness from the earlier rounds and they've largely removed the accomplishment of qualifying for the competition in the first place.  It's now a glorified qualification campaign where 16 countries will have the expense of having to turn up for 2 first round group games and then bugger off home, and all the logistics that goes with that.  The remaining 32 will then start in what should be the proper finals tournament.  It's ridiculous money-motivated bloat from one of the greediest entities on the planet.

The farce is that you would imagine that on average the sides who go home after round 1 will by and large be the smaller federations and therefore the federations least capable of handling the financial expense of going in the first place.  It puts money in FIFA's coffers under the guise of expansion and inclusion and all those lovely buzz words when in fact it'll probably cut the minnows to shreds.

Do smaller nations have to shoulder the cost of attending the world cup completely on their own? Are their financial benefits, even with first round elimination, that cancel out those costs?

 

Genuine question, I don't know.

 

The Football Ramble raised a similar issue on their latest podcast regarding the French Cup. Clubs from the Reunion Islands take part, meaning some of them have thousands of miles to travel and probably lose. They're small clubs so do they have to shoulder the cost?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Moderator
46 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Do smaller nations have to shoulder the cost of attending the world cup completely on their own? Are their financial benefits, even with first round elimination, that cancel out those costs?

 

Genuine question, I don't know.

I'm sure there are probably significant bonuses involved with qualification.  But knowing FIFA, the real bonuses will be for winning games and progressing through the tournament, so I too would be interested to know whether the tiny sides who go out with null point at the first opportunity end up with a negative bank balance when all's said and done.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I think they've missed a trick with the 32 team knockout stage, unless there are upsets in the group stage then those games could be shite, much like the euros

personally I'd have actually added another group stage, 4 teams, 2 from the top, 2 from 2nd, only one team goes through to the last 8, you'd end up with some massive games and everyone would have to go for it

as it is itll depend on the seeding as to whether or not it will be exciting, in theory if they use FIFA rankings then the big boys will sail throught and it'll be boring as ****

Link to comment
Share on other sites

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...
Â