The retro gaming thread!

BOF

It's looks really cool but I couldn't see if it did emulation or if it would involve buying all the old cartridges 

If it did both, which then means you could get old snes games on it too then it does more for me

If it doesn't then i don't think I'd use it enough and no doubt some of the better game boy games come with a bigger price tag 

On 14/12/2021 at 09:50, villa4europe said:

It's looks really cool but I couldn't see if it did emulation or if it would involve buying all the old cartridges 

If it did both, which then means you could get old snes games on it too then it does more for me

If it doesn't then i don't think I'd use it enough and no doubt some of the better game boy games come with a bigger price tag 

You can use a flashcart which you can store the entire library on, they work with the Pocket. But yes, it plays original cartridges. But there's also future potential for emulation, I'm fairly certain people will get it working. Only question is if it's powerful enough to handle SNES.

Really the most intriguing part for me are the screen filters. I have a modded GBA that is awesome but sometimes I'm left wishing it had the pixel grid look of the originals, especially when playing GB/GBC games. The TV out on the dock is pretty cool too, though the lack of CRT support is disappointing (as well as the disabling of the filters when docked). It sounds good in theory, but I don't think anybody would want to play Pokemon blown up to 4K with no filter. 

• Like 1

Just ordered up an Evercade VS with the Codemaster, Bitmap Bros and Worms game packs, hopefully they'll be getting here in time for Xmas.

Taking great joy in buying a cartridge-console that I saw on an episode of Gamesmaster in 2021. Needless to say, I am very excited about introducing my wife to Speedball 2. And then brutalising her.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Tried GTA3 remake.   The gameplay is so boring and the fact that the main character doesn't (can't) talk makes you really feel the age of the game.

And no checkpoints during missions has made me give up halfway through.

I think i'll stick with more modern games lol

• 2 weeks later...
On 18/12/2021 at 19:04, GarethRDR said:

Just ordered up an Evercade VS with the Codemaster, Bitmap Bros and Worms game packs, hopefully they'll be getting here in time for Xmas.

Taking great joy in buying a cartridge-console that I saw on an episode of Gamesmaster in 2021. Needless to say, I am very excited about introducing my wife to Speedball 2. And then brutalising her.

How is it? Tempted to treat myself. 

I love it so far.  Spent Christmas and Boxing Day gradually completing The Chaos Engine, which a young me could never manage.

Only pisser thus far is it turns out there's a batch of duff Codemasters cartridges where the Sensi ROM doesn't load, and I wound up with one of 'em so still haven't played it, am waiting for a replacement. 😭

One of the things I really like about the Arcade cabinet ROMs; pressing Select "adds a coin" to the counter, so you can keep going for as long as you want even on the brutally difficult ones.  Ah, games used to be so utterly unforgiving.  Makes Dark Souls look like Everybody’s Gone to the Rapture.

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, Hornso said:

Decided to give The Legend of Zelda 1986 on the Switch a crack. Having never played it before it’s taking a bit of figuring out!

It's very very difficult. But it's very good! Although if memory serves me correctly I didn't complete the final temple because it was too hard :D 

But stick with it. It's one of those where it seems too difficult at the start because you only have 3 hearts. But it gets better

• Like 1

21 hours ago, GarethRDR said:

I love it so far.  Spent Christmas and Boxing Day gradually completing The Chaos Engine, which a young me could never manage.

Only pisser thus far is it turns out there's a batch of duff Codemasters cartridges where the Sensi ROM doesn't load, and I wound up with one of 'em so still haven't played it, am waiting for a replacement. 😭

One of the things I really like about the Arcade cabinet ROMs; pressing Select "adds a coin" to the counter, so you can keep going for as long as you want even on the brutally difficult ones.  Ah, games used to be so utterly unforgiving.  Makes Dark Souls look like Everybody’s Gone to the Rapture.

Going to order one this week, thank you. What cartridges have you got? Have you bought more? 

If you get the Premium Bundle you get two carts with it plus two controllers. I've since bought the carts I mentioned earlier plus the second Piko Interactive and Interplay collections and the first Atari Arcade one. I fully intend to buy them all.

Ooh I forgot to mention there are two carts that only work with the handheld version and not the VS console, something to do with the licensing I think.  Unhelpfully, I can't remember which ones though. 😬 

Looked it up, it was the two Namco Museum collections that are (currently) only licensed for the handheld.

I can absolutely see myself picking up the handheld at some point though, can be used as an extra controller apparently.

On 01/01/2022 at 17:38, GarethRDR said:

If you get the Premium Bundle you get two carts with it plus two controllers. I've since bought the carts I mentioned earlier plus the second Piko Interactive and Interplay collections and the first Atari Arcade one. I fully intend to buy them all.

My premium pack arrives tomorrow.

I am trying to hunt down cartridges (Codemasters and others, but finding a lot out of stock).

Very excited!

• Like 1

Recently got a CRT, and I gotta tell ya, it breathed new life into my retro consoles. Everything looks amazing. I was especially surprised by how good PS2/GameCube/Wii look in 480i through component. I can't go back now. Games like Twilight Princess for example looked even better than the HD remaster. Modern TVs are still a few years away from matching the motion clarity that makes everything look like a movie. People are giving away these things for free. If you were wondering "why does my PS2/N64 look so bad on my TV?", this is a very inexpensive solution. The most expensive part is finding the space and maybe throwing out your back moving it up/downstairs :lol:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Keyblade said:

Recently got a CRT, and I gotta tell ya, it breathed new life into my retro consoles. Everything looks amazing. I was especially surprised by how good PS2/GameCube/Wii look in 480i through component. I can't go back now. Games like Twilight Princess for example looked even better than the HD remaster. Modern TVs are still a few years away from matching the motion clarity that makes everything look like a movie. People are giving away these things for free. If you were wondering "why does my PS2/N64 look so bad on my TV?", this is a very inexpensive solution. The most expensive part is finding the space and maybe throwing out your back moving it up/downstairs :lol:

Very jealous of retro gamers across the pond. CRT’s are hard to get at a decent price over here and it’s usually via ebay. I’d love a decent one again exactly for GameCube, Xbox and PS2 like you say. I’d love to play Starfox Adventures again and see it how I remember it. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Ingram85 said:

Very jealous of retro gamers across the pond. CRT’s are hard to get at a decent price over here and it’s usually via ebay. I’d love a decent one again exactly for GameCube, Xbox and PS2 like you say. I’d love to play Starfox Adventures again and see it how I remember it. 

Ah that sucks man. There aren't people giving them away on FB Marketplace, or the equivalent of Craigslist? I got mine from an old couple that only just upgraded their TV. You could also find them at thrift stores, which now that I think of it, I'm not sure are a thing across the pond. 

We'd call thirft stores charity shops, and we have many, many of them. You don't really see CRTs for sale in them, though, even those that do electronics. My girlfriend used to manage a few charity shops, and they'd turn away CRTs for a few reasons - the expectation that no one wants them, difficulty for staff moving them (usually volunteers and some with mobility or learning difficulties), and they're so bulky that they take up loads of shelf space too. 

So, I think our only chance to find one would be in one of those very large chazza shops, the sort that do furniture too (BHF have large shops like that) 

Couldn't comment on FB market place, but our Craig's list equivalent is probably Gumtree, you'd have to get lucky with something near enough to you. 

Funnily enough, having bought a new house in August, I found an old CRT in the loft. It's kinda shit, but it works - had my original PS1 and PS2 running on it a few weekends back. 

• Like 1

I have scoured the net for a Sony Trinitron CRT TV for about 18 months without any luck. Luckily my retro gaming app on my shield does the trick mostly. Now I have upgraded to the PS5 I was wondering if there is anyway of modifying the PS4 so you can play old PS2 discs?

Â