The retro gaming thread!

BOF

On 11/05/2021 at 00:00, Ingram85 said:

Got to agree with both. I hope the Mass Effect Trilogy Remaster sells really well because it may convince EA to give another of their sci-fi trilogy’s the remaster treatment in DS.

I will do my part. ME trilogy looks bloody solid and I kinda regret never playing it, but won't have to anymore!

• 1 month later...
50 minutes ago, Follyfoot said:

Wish I’d never opened my copy of Mario 64 when I brought it at launch now

Even if you didn't, it wouldn't be worth anything near the 1.5 million of the recently sold one. Seems like it's some money laundering racket. You can find sealed copies on eBay for a few thousand dollars.

• Thanks 1

On 13/07/2021 at 17:15, hogso said:

Correct, and the 'grading' of games is an unreal con, hate to see it. M64 isn't even that uncommon a game for collectors. 

There's a copy of COD Black Ops that's been graded selling for 200. That's a sub $3 game that sold millions of copies :lol: 

r/gamecollecting - The way grading games is going.. Pure greed.

33 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

There's a copy of COD Black Ops that's been graded selling for 200. That's a sub $3 game that sold millions of copies :lol: 

r/gamecollecting - The way grading games is going.. Pure greed.

I wouldn’t mind but it’s on PS4 and you can get it physical for £20 with better graphics. 

• 3 weeks later...

I’m saying it, I don’t care and no one will ever change my mind. 

Super Mario 64 absolutely sucks big hairy monkey balls and I thought it completely sucked back in the day too. Most overrated game ever made with the worst controls ever devised and with the worst camera controls in any game ever. It truly blows my mind that people rank it higher than Sunshine. 

**** Super Mario 64.

Ughhhhhhhh.

Wooooooooo.

God damn. 

Jesus, I’ve been holding that in for 25 years.

50 minutes ago, Ingram85 said:

Super Mario 64 absolutely sucks big hairy monkey balls and I thought it completely sucked back in the day too. Most overrated game ever made with the worst controls ever devised and with the worst camera controls in any game ever. It truly blows my mind that people rank it higher than Sunshine. 

**** Super Mario 64.

Ughhhhhhhh.

Wooooooooo.

God damn. 

Its one of the best for me, classic.

3 hours ago, Ingram85 said:

**** Super Mario 64.

Ughhhhhhhh.

Wooooooooo.

God damn. 

Super Mario 64 on the N64 controller has probably the tightest controls of any game I've ever played. Camera controls being wonky is to be expected given it came out in 1996!

15 hours ago, Ingram85 said:

**** Super Mario 64.

Ughhhhhhhh.

Wooooooooo.

God damn. 

I've recently tried Mario Sunshine for the first time. Got it as part of the 3D allstars package.

It's absolute shit. Doesn't feel like a Mario game. Feels like a third party has produced a knockoff and somehow got the license for the characters. I lasted about 2 hours and put it down.

Mario 64 hasn't aged well but at the time it was phenomenal. Agree that the camera controls were dodgy, but controlling Mario was perfect

Edited by Stevo985
  • Like 1

Mario 64 is a groundbreaker. In retrospect it's rough, but it was basically doing things nobody had worked out yet. It's the thing that spawned every 3d platformer that followed.

Sunshine is not good. It doesn't have the great design of Nintendo's normal fare, at times feels amateurish and broken (a few minutes on YouTube will reveal hundreds of bizarre glitches and issues - a Mario games shouldn't have you fall through the floor during a platform section for instance), and the Fludd backpack is the gimmick to end all gimmicks. 

You've got to throw some credit at Tomb Raider for 3D platforming innovation too.  It came out four months after Mario 64's Japanese launch (June 96 vs October 96) but for most people in Europe it was the first good/big 3D platformer they'd have got to play because Mario 64 didn't come out until 1997 over here.  I'm sure there were a few people who imported, but you had to have an NTSC compatible N64 and TV to do be able to play it so the number would have been tiny. 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, GarethRDR said:

Tomb Raider for sure blew my mind the first time I played it.

Mine too, although probably not in the same way as you. 

...no, not those. 

It blew my mind how **** difficult it was to point Lara in the pissing direction you wanted to **** jump. So dumb. I despised Tomb Raider as a result from that very first time I played it, all the way up until I played the first reboot game, which is properly excellent. 

• Like 1

Tomb Raider was annoying but it always annoyed me how it all worked on like a grid. One of her big steps was exactly one square of the ground. So it felt like everything was done in right angles and blocks. 

Dunno hard to explain

13 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

Tomb Raider was annoying but it always annoyed me how it all worked on like a grid. One of her big steps was exactly one square of the ground. So it felt like everything was done in right angles and blocks. 

Dunno hard to explain

Walk to the edge. One hop back. Run and jump. Rinse and repeat, for ever.

• Like 1

Anyone else a big fan of Half-Life?

Recently pulled out my PS2 from storage and beat the first one. Bought back some good memories and plan on getting the second on ebay and beating it again as well.

Hopefully they release another one at some point.

• Like 3

Â