The retro gaming thread!

BOF

2 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

It plays gamecube???

Can it handle it? As alot of these retro consoles struggle with n64 onwards (ps1, ps2 etc)

Haven’t tested it yet but the people on the group I use have got a few games running on it from the GC. I’ll check it out and let you know?

10 minutes ago, Dodgyknees said:

Haven’t tested it yet but the people on the group I use have got a few games running on it from the GC. I’ll check it out and let you know?

Yeah mate please do. I definitely wanna pick one up.

Does all the N64 games work ok? A few games ive had issues with emulators on that console is pokemon stadium and cruising usa.  If when you get a chance see if they work on it?

Looking on youtube the reviews look good so that is a real positive 

3 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

Yeah mate please do. I definitely wanna pick one up.

Does all the N64 games work ok? A few games ive had issues with emulators on that console is pokemon stadium and cruising usa.  If when you get a chance see if they work on it?

Looking on youtube the reviews look good so that is a real positive 

No issues with N64 far, let me know what games you want me to test and I will :) 

9 minutes ago, Chindie said:

The always brilliant DF Retro looks at the Amiga Mini.

Probably one for @BOF.

I'll check it out.

• 3 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Chindie said:

GoldenEye likely to be announced this week. Achievements for it have appeared on online lists.

I hope it’s soon, we got blueballed a few months ago when it came out that the devs were unlocking achievements and then…. nothing. Until now. When is the Xbox conference dates for? Imagine it’ll be then? Hope it’s this week instead though! 

A theory was it has been done for ages but the announcement was knocked back due to an abundance of caution over the Ukraine war (similar to how Nintendo have just stopped talking about the Advance Wars remake). The hopeful thinking is a 'and it's out now!' reveal at the event this week.

24 minutes ago, Chindie said:

A theory was it has been done for ages but the announcement was knocked back due to an abundance of caution over the Ukraine war (similar to how Nintendo have just stopped talking about the Advance Wars remake). The hopeful thinking is a 'and it's out now!' reveal at the event this week.

Wait, it is this week isn’t it, I thought it was July 12th. Ooooh, yeah fingers crossed then. 

7 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

No but they have announced the mega drive mini 2

Great lineup of games too. Sega CD is one system that's kind of hard to emulate. The original Genesis mini had superb emulation.

9 hours ago, villa4europe said:

No but they have announced the mega drive mini 2

Rather see the dreamcast mini to be honest. I mean you can emulate dreamcast from these china systems so no idea why sega wont do it

2 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Rather see the dreamcast mini to be honest. I mean you can emulate dreamcast from these china systems so no idea why sega wont do it

TCGS podcast touched on it a few weeks back and gave a few reasons as to why, I'm sure one of them was the controller and memory card thing we're expensive to make 

That still wouldn't explain why they've never released dreamcast game bundles on the switch or other consoles though 

30 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

TCGS podcast touched on it a few weeks back and gave a few reasons as to why, I'm sure one of them was the controller and memory card thing we're expensive to make 

That still wouldn't explain why they've never released dreamcast game bundles on the switch or other consoles though 

Yeah your last paragraph is a very good point.  You can only play them on a emulator system or on the original dreamcast which i have.

The dreamcast controllers were huge so they would need to make those smaller as they would be bigger than the console!

8 hours ago, villa4europe said:

I think Sega said they were seriously thinking about releasing a Dreamcast and Saturn mini but the pandemic put a wrench in that. I think a software bundle on modern consoles would be great though. A lot of the best titles have been ported elsewhere like Shenmue, Sonic Adventure 1/2, Ikaruga, Jet Set Radio etc, but I'd love to see some of the more niche arcade titles that the console is so beloved for. 

1 hour ago, Keyblade said:

I think Sega said they were seriously thinking about releasing a Dreamcast and Saturn mini but the pandemic put a wrench in that. I think a software bundle on modern consoles would be great though. A lot of the best titles have been ported elsewhere like Shenmue, Sonic Adventure 1/2, Ikaruga, Jet Set Radio etc, but I'd love to see some of the more niche arcade titles that the console is so beloved for. 

Skies of Arcadia! 

• Thanks 1

Just now, hogso said:

Skies of Arcadia! 

Surprised that never saw a re-release! Grandia 2 has a remaster on modern consoles. God I wish the Dreamcast had more great RPGs like these. At least the GameCube version exists, though I bet even that costs a pretty penny nowadays.

Â