The retro gaming thread!

BOF

3 minutes ago, bielesibub said:

OMG, I think I just wet my pants a little.  

All that is missing is one of these bad boys.

enlarge.cgi?image=015730_a.jpg&ref=01573

I love VillaTalk, never fails to keep me up to date with everything that is important!

Almost. That's the soft button stick. It needs the microswitch Zipstick. The greatest joystick ever created.

Zipstik-Zipstick-Joystick%C2%A0Tested-Wo

48 minutes ago, BOF said:

Almost. That's the soft button stick. It needs the microswitch Zipstick. The greatest joystick ever created.

Zipstik-Zipstick-Joystick%C2%A0Tested-Wo

How could I forget that they weren't all microswitched? I had these for my Amiga and Atari ST, which were micro switched - CompetitionProTransparent.jpg

I used to have leaf switches in my pinball tables and micro switches in my arcade machines.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, BOF said:

Just looking at that Zipstick makes my heart flutter. I should probably get that checked.

Who needs d-pads, thumb sticks, a, b, x, y, shoulder buttons, triggers to play a good game? All you needed was a stick, a fire button and one of: Kick Off 2, Speedball 2, Super Cars 2, Sensible Soccer, Golden Axe. 

I am going to be so gutted if I miss out on one of these.

2 minutes ago, PussEKatt said:

Thank you very much for that.I have downloaded the code wheel numbers from the site you gave and will now download the game.It was my fav game back then and I am looking foreward to playing it again.

Its the game that made Crewe Alexandra my second team in England :)

Couple years back on a holiday with the in-laws at some villa in Shropshire, I found a dusty copy of Premier Manager 97 which I managed to get working on the crappy laptop I had with me.  Pretty much sequestered myself in a darkened room for the entire week.  Great game.  Though the way they had designed the transfer system, you could set asking prices of however much for any of your players, but then transfer listing them guaranteed you'd get offers regardless and they'd all be at that asking price you set.  I made enough money selling Gary Charles to Spurs that I built a new stadium.

• Haha 4

I’m worried about the future of game collecting. Especially as the recent consoles get older. Companies seem intent on not preserving their legacies and older games. Physical games these days are just unlock keys. Plus maintaining older consoles and playing them on modern tech is getting more difficult. Starting to seem a bit pointless 🙄

I know I can go the high seas route but you can’t beat having and using the actual physical disc. GameCube games in particular I’m struggling with. Playing SD games on SD systems on modern tellys is just horrible. Plus PS2, the hardware to play original ps2 discs and have them look decent is either faulty and degrading (OG phat ps3) or expensive and fiddly as all hell.

Not sure what I’m getting at with all this. Just wish the big companies released consoles that played older games well on modern TV’s. 

• Like 2

The big issue with modern games and archiving is the prevalence of 'live' games and 'live' features. A game without a physical release that has a reliance on a central server is effectively gone when the servers go. Theres already 360 era games that are effectively gone, and it's only got worse since then.

It's also mental that you have things like MvC2, one of the greatest fighting games, which got a release on the 360/PS3 consoles, is for all intents and purposes gone now. You can only play it if you bought it on those consoles at the time, or if you've got one of the older releases, like the Dreamcast one. Or have the original arcade cabinet.

• Like 4

42 minutes ago, Chindie said:

The big issue with modern games and archiving is the prevalence of 'live' games and 'live' features. A game without a physical release that has a reliance on a central server is effectively gone when the servers go.

To this day I'm still reeling from the loss of the Chromehounds server.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Ingram85 said:

I’m worried about the future of game collecting. Especially as the recent consoles get older. Companies seem intent on not preserving their legacies and older games. Physical games these days are just unlock keys. Plus maintaining older consoles and playing them on modern tech is getting more difficult. Starting to seem a bit pointless 🙄

I know I can go the high seas route but you can’t beat having and using the actual physical disc. GameCube games in particular I’m struggling with. Playing SD games on SD systems on modern tellys is just horrible. Plus PS2, the hardware to play original ps2 discs and have them look decent is either faulty and degrading (OG phat ps3) or expensive and fiddly as all hell.

Not sure what I’m getting at with all this. Just wish the big companies released consoles that played older games well on modern TV’s. 

Optical Disc Emulators and Flashcarts are the way to go now sadly (and not sadly). I love the feeling of popping in your physical game but given that they're getting so much more expensive on the whole (and degrading, with things like disc rot), as well as optical disc drived having finite lifespans, it makes more and more sense to play off hard drives or SD cards.

Also with CRT's being a technology that also has a finite lifespan and completely out of production for good means it won't be long until you won't be able to play games from before the 360 eras the way they were originally played. It's kind of sad. I hope they work on good modern alternatives and/or we get some innovative new display technology.

Â