The retro gaming thread!

BOF

46 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

I got a dreamcast andnit was a bloody good console. Very under rated. Some really good games on it

It being basically a consolized version of Sega's NAOMI arcade system, means it has such a great library of arcade ports of fighting and shooting games, as well those weird ones like fishing 😂 . It has a really great homebrew scene too, games are still made and ported for it til this day.

31 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

It being basically a consolized version of Sega's NAOMI arcade system, means it has such a great library of arcade ports of fighting and shooting games, as well those weird ones like fishing 😂 . It has a really great homebrew scene too, games are still made and ported for it til this day.

I loved crazy taxi, evil dead, virtual athlete 2k marvs vs capcom. Some awesome games

• Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...

I was working in Gamestation when the PS3 was still being sold new. Admittedly not the George Foreman style one, though we had a few of those in stock pre-owned (including the mythical 60gb backwards compatible ones), but still, fundamentally the same machine. I don't like the idea that something I was selling people not that long ago is now 'retro'.

The issue, for want of a better term, for me is the idea of 'HD'. The PS3 was the HD system for me, how can it now be considered retro? There's also the fact that I have my PS3 hooked up to my throughly modern TV with no issues, and can play it when I want. Not so for systems older than that. 

I am indeed old, I guess.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, hogso said:

The issue, for want of a better term, for me is the idea of 'HD'. The PS3 was the HD system for me, how can it now be considered retro? There's also the fact that I have my PS3 hooked up to my throughly modern TV with no issues, and can play it when I want. Not so for systems older than that. 

well said that man.

1 hour ago, hogso said:

Ps3 had some great games i still have  aload  sealed. I hopefully one day will get round to do them. I never got a p4 or 5 last ps item  i owned was a ps3

• Like 1

I missed that generation of gaming and have been playing it over the last couple of years and it's kind of crazy that's actually 16 years old because the games don't feel that old when playing them. The jumps between consoles in the HD era is relatively small compared to what it was before. For reference, the PS3 itself came out roughly 16 years after the Super Nintendo came out.

• Like 1

**** me where has the time gone. I still remember going to get my 360 with PDZ at launch.

16 years ago when the ps3/360 came out and it was SNES/Mega Drive era I think that was the same time scale ago in the past and I would have considered them retro at the time as well. 

Getting old sucks, especially as despite loving the hobby my interest in modern gaming is pretty much none existent, I’ll be calling it a day once it’s all digital only. 

Edit: Just seen @Keyblade post above, it’s scary isn’t it. 

Edited by Ingram85
  • Like 2

15 hours ago, Ingram85 said:

Getting old sucks, especially as despite loving the hobby my interest in modern gaming is pretty much none existent, I’ll be calling it a day once it’s all digital only. 

I second that, creating a 'modern' game costs so much money now and the publishers won't stump up the cash if something may not sell - or even get completed, so we end up with the constant churn of the safety first slight tweaks to FIFA, 3rd person shooters (CoD / GoW / Halo), other 'popular cash earners'... sadly most gamers are used to the churned out, but polished games, I doubt we'll ever see another ground breaking game the likes of Populous, Elite, Doom appear anytime soon. *caveat, I know there are ways the indie developer can do it on their own using tools like: Unity ❤️, Unreal, Godot 🥰, Blender, etc Sadly their route to the console/mobile market are via shared app delivery platforms that are filled with shite that some person has created using things like 'create a game in <insert dev tool> a day' the problem is there is so much crap no one has the time to waste finding that nugget of 'Mastertronic' gold. I'm horribly cynical about the IT world as it is. Having said all that @bobtrouser might disagree entirely;

1 hour ago, bielesibub said:

I second that, creating a 'modern' game costs so much money now and the publishers won't stump up the cash if something may not sell - or even get completed, so we end up with the constant churn of the safety first slight tweaks to FIFA, 3rd person shooters (CoD / GoW / Halo), other 'popular cash earners'... sadly most gamers are used to the churned out, but polished games, I doubt we'll ever see another ground breaking game the likes of Populous, Elite, Doom appear anytime soon. *caveat, I know there are ways the indie developer can do it on their own using tools like: Unity ❤️, Unreal, Godot 🥰, Blender, etc Sadly their route to the console/mobile market are via shared app delivery platforms that are filled with shite that some person has created using things like 'create a game in <insert dev tool> a day' the problem is there is so much crap no one has the time to waste finding that nugget of 'Mastertronic' gold. I'm horribly cynical about the IT world as it is. Having said all that @bobtrouser might disagree entirely;

no i agree :D

from a developer point of view there's never been a better time , or a worse time , to make games - the tools now mean that more people than ever can make games, but that also means there's a mountain of crap to wade through, and to stand out from. Gamers expectations are also unbound - you need to provide 20 hours of flawless content otherwise your game will be review bombed out of existence ( that is, if you can get it noticed at all) . The switch to subscription based netflix like service also means gamers have a ludicrously huge choice of content to pull from...

that said i do think there's some absolute gems out there, made by small teams or individuals , that are worth seeking out.. kind of like how music is....

Hollow Knight , Inside, Limbo, Stardew Valley,  Cuphead, Spelunky, Super Meat Boy, Fez, Celeste,  Hotline Miami, Don't Starve, Firewatch,  Enter the Gungeon... off the top of my head :D

and of course Super Liquid Soccer , possibly the best football game (i've) ever made....

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

The states are releasing a sega genesis 2 mini. Hope its coming uk too but seems just us only right now

The preorders seem to be from Amazon Japan oddly enough. Would be paying import fees either way. Nice lineup of games on this one (including Sega CD games).

6 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

The preorders seem to be from Amazon Japan oddly enough. Would be paying import fees either way. Nice lineup of games on this one (including Sega CD games).

Yeah thats what makes it appealing for me. Its strange they are not releasing for the uk and europe as it would do well over here.  Sega do some odd things

20 hours ago, Talldarkandransome said:

I remember having a Sega Mega CD, I don't think it was very popular at the time but a retro gaming guy I know said it would be worth much much money now. Sometimes I wish I was a horder

Oh no you don't!!.

I can hardly get into  my garage for boxes of DVDs, VHS tapes, LPs, Game Consoles, Games + boxes, half finished upright home arcade machine, DVD players, CD players, Guitar Hero guitars, hifi speakers, amplifiers, 42" tv. Thats not even mentioning the other shite like drills, paint brushes, paint pots, fridges, freezers, f**k I've become THAT person!

• Haha 3

Â