The retro gaming thread!

BOF

4 hours ago, Rds1983 said:

I've been working my way through some retro games recently and curious if anyone knows a strategy game (like Civilization etc) but based around the UK and it's development? 

Medieval Total War, but that's the whole of Northern Europe too. It's on Steam, and you there's some decent mods available.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Tegis said:

"Victoria: An Empire Under the Sun" comes to mind, but most games like it evolve around  Europe rather than the UK

Maybe "Crusader Kings" and "Knights of Honor" ?

55 minutes ago, Jonesy7211 said:

Medieval Total War, but that's the whole of Northern Europe too. It's on Steam, and you there's some decent mods available.

Thanks. All I can think of are ones focusing on wider regions like Europe etc. 

I've been reading books about the Alfred the Great and wanted something along those lines. Giving decent detail on the UK (like all the different counties etc) and not just a tiny map for the whole of it. 

Just spotted Eye of the Beholder and Civ 3 are on Steam so will go with one of those until I find something. 

Edited by Rds1983

On 29/03/2022 at 18:46, Tegis said:

Amiga classic. Great game

Forgot how much wondering around dungeons looking for a random switch or secret wall was involved in Eye of the Beholder. Did a few levels and don't think I have the patience for it anymore, switched to Civ 3.

On 29/03/2022 at 18:15, Rds1983 said:

Thanks. All I can think of are ones focusing on wider regions like Europe etc. 

I've been reading books about the Alfred the Great and wanted something along those lines. Giving decent detail on the UK (like all the different counties etc) and not just a tiny map for the whole of it. 

Just spotted Eye of the Beholder and Civ 3 are on Steam so will go with one of those until I find something. 

Crusader Kings 2 might fit what you are looking for. The map is big but you can focus on you little corner of the world as the systems are quite deep. I barely zoomed out from the British Isles in my first playthrough.

With DLC you can choose your starting point, whether that be starting as the Kingdom of Wessex fighting off the Viking invasions or as a Plantagenet monarch claiming his rightful throne in France.

It's free on steam and you can subscribe to over £100 of DLC for £4 a month. It's one of my favourite games of all time.

• Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, RunRickyRun said:

Crusader Kings 2 might fit what you are looking for. The map is big but you can focus on you little corner of the world as the systems are quite deep. I barely zoomed out from the British Isles in my first playthrough.

With DLC you can choose your starting point, whether that be starting as the Kingdom of Wessex fighting off the Viking invasions or as a Plantagenet monarch claiming his rightful throne in France.

It's free on steam and you can subscribe to over £100 of DLC for £4 a month. It's one of my favourite games of all time.

I'm currently working my way through Civ 3 (forgot how good that game was) but will definitely look into this when I'm done with that. 

Was tempted by Age of Wonders or Europa Universalis 4 as heard good things about them. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
14 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

That looks awesome. Whats it play as in console wise?

Anything from the 70s consoles up to GameCube, I think Dreamcast too but I haven’t done that yet. Smashed out a few Goldeneye levels yesterday, that was so cool!

8 minutes ago, Dodgyknees said:

Anything from the 70s consoles up to GameCube, I think Dreamcast too but I haven’t done that yet. Smashed out a few Goldeneye levels yesterday, that was so cool!

It plays gamecube???

Can it handle it? As alot of these retro consoles struggle with n64 onwards (ps1, ps2 etc)

Â