The retro gaming thread!

BOF

2 hours ago, Big Salad said:

Anyone else a big fan of Half-Life?

Recently pulled out my PS2 from storage and beat the first one. Bought back some good memories and plan on getting the second on ebay and beating it again as well.

Hopefully they release another one at some point.

Half-Life 2 is one of my favourite games.

The remake of Half-Life on PC, Black Mesa, is also excellent. Would be great to get a console port of it.

It'll get to the point soon where nobody will be interested in Half-Life 3, which is probably why there is no sign of it even being discussed.

• Like 1

Valve won’t release a Half Life 3 unless it’s revolutionary.  They don’t need the money, turns out owning Steam is more lucrative than making games so now they are in a position where they can be really fussy about the quality of their first party titles.  

16 hours ago, Big Salad said:

Anyone else a big fan of Half-Life?

Recently pulled out my PS2 from storage and beat the first one. Bought back some good memories and plan on getting the second on ebay and beating it again as well.

Hopefully they release another one at some point.

Oh hell yes. The heyday of 3dfx Voodoo on PC. That train-ride intro was so effin cool in the 90s. Set the perfect mood

• Like 2

I was treated to one of those Home Retro Gaming consoles with 6000+ games already loaded and WiFi option if I wanted more

Have to say its bloody brilliant as it has all my old favs from 70s n 80s and the kids  (millennials) love it too.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

How "new" does it go? 

I'd be interested in one that covered snes, mega drive and ps1

I'll take a couple of pics tomorrow when I have a little more time

• Thanks 1

Bit of a strange question this but is anyone else ‘connected’ or attached to old graphics or art styles?

Eg: Destroy All Humans. All you really need is the modern remake but I’ve got the original as well because I have a soft spot for the old graphics.

Same with Tony Hawks 2, I don’t need the ps1 original as I have 1&2 remake on PS4 but the original just feels like ‘my’ game. The old graphics are weirdly comforting. I also bought Far Cry Instincts Predator on 360 just so I could see the water graphics again lol. I think I’m broken. 

Edited by Ingram85

On 07/08/2021 at 07:53, villa4europe said:

Didn't play it until I got orange box, what an incredible bargain that was

Crazy that they've left the property alone bar the VR game 

Orange Box was amazing. Half Life 2 was incredible but discovering Portal, which is never heard of, was mind blowing

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Ingram85 said:

Bit of a strange question this but is anyone else ‘connected’ to old graphics or art styles?

Eg: Destroy All Humans. All you really need is the modern remake but I’ve got the original as well because I have a soft spot for the old graphics.

Same with Tony Hawks 2, I don’t need the ps1 original as I have 1&2 remake on PS4 but the original just feels like ‘my’ game. The old graphics are weirdly comforting. I also bought Far Cry Instincts Predator on 360 just so I could see the water graphics again lol. I think I’m broken. 

Yeah some games I feel don't really need a remaster. Like Super Metroid for example. There's no need really to make a new version, it's already timeless. 2D in general has aged very well.

I especially don't like "remasters" that are essentially just upscales of the original games. When you blow up games that were intended to be viewed on TV's that were made in the 80's and 90's to 4K, a lot of shit gets lost in translation. If you're not adding new textures, don't bother I feel.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

Yeah some games I feel don't really need a remaster. Like Super Metroid for example. There's no need really to make a new version, it's already timeless. 2D in general has aged very well.

I especially don't like "remasters" that are essentially just upscales of the original games. When you blow up games that were intended to be viewed on TV's that were made in the 80's and 90's to 4K, a lot of shit gets lost in translation. If you're not adding new textures, don't bother I feel.

Conversely though, I don’t want them changing too much, just more detailed textures is fine as I still want them to keep the look and identity of a game. People slagged off Ninty for the Mario 3D All stars but I found what they did to be perfect, all I ever wanted was for them to look good on modern TV’s but still look the same if that makes sense. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Ingram85 said:

Conversely though, I don’t want them changing too much, just more detailed textures is fine as I still want them to keep the look and identity of a game. People slagged off Ninty for the Mario 3D All stars but I found what they did to be perfect, all I ever wanted was for them to look good on modern TV’s but still look the same if that makes sense. 

I agree actually. 

I either want them to look the same as they did, or a complete remake (like Link’s awakening on the switch)

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Ingram85 said:

SM64 was pretty bare bones from what I remember. Could have done with widescreen like Sunshine, as well as tweaks to the camera system. It did preserve the original look for sure though. That's another game I wouldn't want a remaster for. 

How do you feel about the Crash and Spyro remasters?

19 minutes ago, Ingram85 said:

Bit of a strange question this but is anyone else ‘connected’ or attached to old graphics or art styles?

I can see where you are coming from. That's why i sometimes pull out old games and play them to get that sense of nostalgia.

I know a lot of people who refuse or frown on playing older games because in their eyes the graphics are terrible and why should they waste their time, its not as interactive, etc.

I always say BS to them on that.

To me a good video game is a good video game regardless of how old it is or what it looks like.

For example I loved the Fable games.

Great graphics? No not really.

Gave me hours of fun and generally overall very good games? Yes

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

SM64 was pretty bare bones from what I remember. Could have done with widescreen like Sunshine, as well as tweaks to the camera system. It did preserve the original look for sure though. That's another game I wouldn't want a remaster for. 

How do you feel about the Crash and Spyro remasters?

I think they are great but I’d also like an option to toggle the original graphics on and off a bit like the Master Chief Collection Halo 1 & 2. Spruce up the originals so they don’t look like trash on 4k sets but leave them alone enough so they still retain the charm and let them sit alongside the superior looking complete remake. 

A game I’d love them to uprez but mainly leave alone is Star Fox Adventures, it looks beautiful for a GameCube game and I hold its graphics in high esteem, the atmosphere they created with the textures, effects and lighting is underrated, I wouldn’t want them changed too much with modern graphics, just do what they did with Mario Sunshine on switch and I’ll be happy. 

Edited by Ingram85
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Ingram85 said:

I think they are great but I’d also like an option to toggle the original graphics on and off a bit like the Master Chief Collection Halo 1 & 2. Spruce up the originals so they don’t look like trash on 4k sets but leave them alone enough so they still retain the charm and let them sit alongside the superior looking complete remake. 

A game I’d love them to uprez but mainly leave alone is Star Fox Adventures, it looks beautiful for a GameCube game and I hold its graphics in high esteem, the atmosphere they created with the textures, effects and lighting is underrated, I wouldn’t want them changed too much with modern graphics, just do what they did with Mario Sunshine on switch and I’ll be happy. 

There are a lot of games from that era that could do with that. I played a bit of Star Fox Adventures and the graphics were absolutely superb. A Mario Sunshine-esque re-release would be great for many games of that era. 

A lot of old PS1 era RPGs being re-released would be awesome (not like the recent Final Fantasy Pixel Remasters though, they look awful). A lot of them are ridiculously expensive, and given the nature of RPGs, remaking or remastering them can really look good. Like this planned Dragon Quest 3 remake:

An Amiga 500 mini console is coming in 2022

An Amiga 500 mini console is coming in 2022

THEA500-Mini-3D_all-920x552.jpg

Retro Games has announced the latest games system to get on the ‘mini’ revival: the Amiga 500.

An officially licenced product, the A500 Mini promises a return to the glory days of 16-bit home computing, with 25 Amiga games built in, and the potential to add more via a USB stick. While it looks like the Amiga 500, Retro Games points out that the hardware offers the “perfect emulation” of the A1200’s Advanced Graphic Architecture too.

So far, just 12 of the bundled titles have been revealed, and there are undoubtedly some classics in there including Simon the Sorcerer, Speedball 2, Zool and Worms: The Director’s Cut. 

Other titles include Alien Breed 3D, Another World, ATR: All Terrain Racing, Battle Chess, Cadaver, Pinball Dreams, The Chaos Engine and Kick Off 2 – which hopefully doesn’t rule out arch-rival Sensible World of Soccer making an appearance. Other titles, Retro Games says, will be revealed “at a later date”.

excited-tense.gif

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

6 minutes ago, Tegis said:

53a04c8be903d_-_britney-spears-x-factor-

I'm not familiar with Simon the Sorceror, but the other 4 take up a considerable portion of my time in secondary school :lol:  Particularly Kick Off 2 and Speedball 2.

Â