The retro gaming thread!

BOF

How come no,one mentions emulators on here ?

I have an old laptop and all I have on it is 4 emulators and the games that go with them.I have,DosBox,a ZX Spectrum emulator,WinVice ( C64 emulator ) and an Amiga emulator.

6 hours ago, PussEKatt said:

I have an old laptop and all I have on it is 4 emulators and the games that go with them.I have,DosBox,a ZX Spectrum emulator,WinVice ( C64 emulator ) and an Amiga emulator.

Not legal strictly speaking :D 

They've been getting better and better. There's an N64 emulator now that does perfect 1:1 emulation now which is awesome. These systems are dying out and that goes a long way in preserving them. Also the companies, notably Nintendo, don't seem to have much interest in that.

19 minutes ago, Follyfoot said:

Just started Metroid Prime for the first time in years, going for the 100% scan completion that apparently has a better ending 

I think I’m gonna start it soon as well, have been holding off for a few years in the hope the trilogy will get a switch release but Nintendo are being Nintendo about it. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Ingram85 said:

I think I’m gonna start it soon as well, have been holding off for a few years in the hope the trilogy will get a switch release but Nintendo are being Nintendo about it. 

Exact same reasoning my end 👍

Edited by Follyfoot

8 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

I'm about halfway though my playthrough, but haven't played in a while. Not sure I'll get 100% though as I wasn't that focused in the earlier part of the game.

Last time I did it I got 99% and missed the second scan in the first tunnel ffs 🤦‍♂️ 🤣

• Haha 1

For those of you on the twittery thing who aren't following Yore computer, give them a follow if you used to collect Speccy/C64/Amiga etc magazines back in the day.  It spits out random pages from random old mags for a blast of nostalgia.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

On 28/08/2021 at 13:00, PussEKatt said:

As for emulation, I love Retropie. I've got about a dozen Raspberry Pi's (to apostrophe or not). Am setting up a new one so I can play old Amiga games, mostly thanks to the post from @BOF about the news of a new retro A500 coming out. Just waiting for my USB 'Competition Pro' style joystick to turn up.

I've got an arcade cocktail cabinet down in the man cave running Retropie MAME configured for a cocktail cabinet.

Why did I go down the route of a pi per emulator?

• Like 1

On the subject of emulation, there's the less spoken about hardware-emulation, that's typically more difficult to achieve but offers more accurate results. The MiSter has been a revelation in the retro gaming scene offering cores for multiple systems with pretty much flawless emulation. Here is a new consolized version, which really caught my eye. I really want to play arcade games like on the CPSI and CPSII with great accuracy...one of the hardest things to properly emulate, especially in a way that you can output to a CRT.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

With Metroid Dread out soon I’ve started playing Samus Returns on my 2ds and thought, ‘hmmm, I think I’ll get fusion and zero mission on gba as never played them’. **** me they are expensive, nearly £100 each :(

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Ingram85 said:

Don’t say that as I’m likely to never own them now :(

Just keep looking I'd guess. It is a great game, maybe not 'worth' £100 but it's bloody good. Still have my copy, though not sure it's one I've kept the box for.

I've still got a mint Pokémon Red and Link to the Past Advance both boxed, amongst others. Bloody loved the Gameboy, Color and GBA :)

• Like 1

Man, I don't think I can ever justify $100 for a GB/GBA game, that's just silly imo especially for games I already bought as a kid. I played Zero Mission on a flashcart and it was amazing. I think I'll do Fusion on my Wii as it feels a more cinematic experience, so I'll give it a go on the big screen. 

On 26/10/2019 at 21:00, Tegis said:

I'm enjoying my teens, as a 43 year old. The proper way, with period correct hardware (tiny bit of cheating, this should be run on a 486 DX2 80, not a PII 400 :D)

image.thumb.png.81d29b5c91d80510f526f555dab1ba72.png

Quoting myself here, but O....M......F.....GOD

giphy.gif

• 2 months later...
Â