Top Gear

Jez

**** me the car industry lack imagination. The Volvo V60 (and probably 10 other manufacturers) looks exactly like that

That's how the car industry works.

There are trends, just like fashion.

Designing a car means you have to abide by that trend while putting your own twist on it, so it's inevitable that cars from competing companies will share looks and features etc.

It takes balls to go completely out on a limb with something incredibly different.

Adding a big boot to an existing model is hardly somewhere where Jag are going to go hell for leather and try something massivley unique.

That's rubbish when you consider how much better the Honda Civic looks compared to everything around it in 2006/7 when it came out.

It still looks cooler than the VW Golf, Audi, Astra, etc.

Look how popular it got, why? Because they took a risk and it hit the spot with the public. The Civic before it was a boy racer car, now its a respectable middle management car.

I didn't say it didn't happen. Of course it does. Jag does it (or intends to at least)

My point was, when all you're doing is upgrading an existing model to make it into an estate, you go for the safe option. We're not going to go mental designing a brand new massively unique car for what will probably be a relatively low volume market. In that case, you stick to trends.

(I'd also contest that a Civic looks better than a Golf or an Audi A3, but that's a different debate)

A5 Quattro 3.0l and let me take it out for a test drive

Was there enough space in the footwell for your feet? The right hand drive conversion of Audi's often leaves you bollock all room.

Also 3.0 litre? You must be super rich to be able to afford to put fuel into that monster...

Was there enough space in the footwell for your feet? The right hand drive conversion of Audi's often leaves you bollock all room.

Also 3.0 litre? You must be super rich to be able to afford to put fuel into that monster...

You should see the fuel gauge go down in a 4.0L V8.

I didn't notice any problem but tbh I don't tend notice things like that , I kinda either like a car or don't plus I've got small feet anyway :-)

not rich enough to go for the S5 version and it's 26 mpg ...

fuel economy

two guys in the office have just bought cars, one has a Range Rover the other an slk

both now trying to get the company to switch to rental cars for long journeys

hello? are you really trying to tell me you didn't know a Range Rover ain't overly economical?

oh, and a 'space age' Honda Civic looks like chavvy plastic compared with a two door Golf - fashion vs style

Thought last nights show was ok, very safe. Alex from Blur, nice but dim. Seemed like the edited out the only potentially interesting part of his interview (birthday party in Brazil). Also, what the hell are Jezza and James wearing? Are they deliberately trying to be the worst dressed 2 guys in the country?

oh, and a 'space age' Honda Civic looks like chavvy plastic compared with a two door Golf - fashion vs style

This is what the current Honda Civic reminds me of

BuzzyBeetle.gif

was a tad boring last night if i'm honest

highlight was when they drove past B&Q on the A3 on the way to their test track as that's where I got nicked for Speeding

yeah ..it really was that boring :-)

Wot Ads sed. I thought it was OK. Hamster did his best during the news to be annoying as hell but thankfully it was a short enough segment that his damage was limited.

I thought last nights was decent. Not the best episode but nowhere near a bad one.

Track cars was a decent watch for a car fan, news was thankfully pretty straight (notwithstanding Hammond), aero engined cars was interesting enough (it had explosions!), and Alex James is entirely bland.

Decent episode.

The track car segment; while a good watch; was compromised IMV because Hammond picked a stupid car and none of them picked the Ariel Atom. In a segment where they're trying to find the best track car, surely you pick the Atom and measure everything else against it. Though the Caterham is arguably as good for different reasons.

And cost wasn't even an issue. The entry level Atom would have been the cheapest car in the test (and that includes the Morgan) and the supercharged Atom is cheaper than the X-Bow.

While the Morgan did add some comedy effect, I couldn't get past them not having an Atom. They even had the Atom in the studio, as if to rub it in !!

YEah as the show opened I saw the Atom and knew they were doing track cars so assumed they were going to go with 'The best track car that wasn't an Atom' and go from there. Admittedly I watched the lot with that in the back of my mind. I took Hammonds choice as the comedic effect option, and I actually think despite not being something to fly round Silverstone with, would probably be a huge laugh to chuck around on a track day, so let it slip.

What was the car Clarkson was supposed to have, actually? I missed what he said as he pulled up the KTM monstrosity.

Oh yeah, I meant to rewind to hear it properly but I forgot :? I'm sure a search of TG-related fora would get us the answer.

It was a BAC Mono

And even with the track segment bit the show was still a poor one. The stupid tests they did, like driving them to work and no matter how slow captain slow is there is no way it wasnt fixed for his corner time to be slower than Hammonds in those cars.

Yeah that Morgan loked fun but ultimately if you did have it you'd eventually get so pissed off with it when you realise how slow it is and it would make the straights very boring.

• 10 months later...