Top Gear

Jez

I'm obviously not a fan of the way the Evoque looks, and to be honest I'm not a great fan of the sector it represents (which is arguably a collision of 2 sectors - entry level 4x4, and the 'Chelsea tractor' market, making it effectively a Range Rover for people who cannot afford a Range Rover, and a 4x4 for people who don't actually need a 4x4. It's a lot of image, a lot of 'badge').

But this just underlines that. I know TG took the piss out of Clarkson when he said is it the first topless 4x4, but he kinda had a point. The original work horse 4x4s, the Willis Jeep and co, didn't have proper rooves largely for practicality, and somewhat cost.

This doesn't have a roof because spoiled Tracy's husband Darren from marketing wants to keep her quiet come summer whilst also having the Range Rocer chic look to keep up with the Joneses on the school run.

Which wouldn't be so bad (if the markets dumb enough to buy it, by all means sell it), but it looks **** wrong. It didn't look great from the get go, but Christ, taking the rough off it does it no favours. It's slab sided like a lorry - the original design took away some of that look by drawing your eye to the low roofline, this obviously can't.

Eurgh...

How does his hair not drive him mental? It drove me mental watching him fix it every 20 seconds. He could hardly keep his head straight and made almost no eye contact with Clarkson as a result of how he had to hold his head. Stupid hair.

Otherwise, I agree, another good episode. That £110k Merc looked a bit stupid.

Pretty average episode I thought, but on recent form I'll take that.

Hammond race... thing... did nothing for me, reasonably inoffensive bar his stupid warbling yelling that's apparently funny. News skit was alright. Sport-y prestige cars was decent, both are idiotic - the Merc is without point, and looks absurd. Don't like Matt Smith. Saab bit was the highlight which was a good watch. Even though I've never 'got' Saabs.

May as well use this thread as it became a bit of a general cars thread.

Evoque Convertible pictures released today.

I love the Evoque, but I'm not a big fan of this

car_photo_500893_7.jpg

And that is why the whole **** car was pointless in the first place.

Spray it pink and Barbie would lap it up.

I hate it.

I agree. A convertible Range is a shit idea, and it looks gash.

But that doesn't explain your comment, which still doesn't make sense

Of course it does. Look at the picture of the rag top Evoque, that in itself explains why the car was a terrible idea from the get go.

Not saying it won't sell and be hugely popular.....but so is Justin Bieber.....in fact that is what the Evoque is.... a triumph of image over well, anything else actually.

I agree. A convertible Range is a shit idea, and it looks gash.

But that doesn't explain your comment, which still doesn't make sense

Of course it does. Look at the picture of the rag top Evoque, that in itself explains why the car was a terrible idea from the get go.

Eh?

No it doesn't. Why does the fact they're making a convertible version of the car make the original car pointless?

If they decide to make a convertible Freelander, will that make the freelander you own pointless?

I went to have a look at the Evoque on Saturday

have to say I was disappointed with it .. too small in the back and the boot and whilst the equipment spec is quite nice the speedo & the other dial behind the steering wheel look third world in comparison to the the rest of the car

I then went to the XF , and maybe cause I've had mine for 3 years , it just seemed to have lost it's wow factor that it had when it first launched

Also I was in the showroom for 25 minutes and not one single person approached me to see if i wanted assistance , bearing in mind I rolled up in one of their cars to start with it should give them an idea that I am potential serious buyer ... maybe I needed to put sunglasses on the top of my head and drape a jumper over my shoulders like the people they were fawning over instead and I may have got some help (it was Ascot after all !!) ... anyhow , result of that is I'm going to Audi tomorrow to look at the A5 Sportback .. 4 wheel drive if I need it , a nice engine , 0-60 in 5.7 (or is it 5.9 ?) secs but also a family car for when the kids are in the back .. had Jaguar been a bit more attentive I probably would have brought another XF , now Audi could get the money instead