Top Gear

Jez

The film bit may not have been quite so excruciatingly awful were it not for Hammonds... presence. Nothing he does is funny, his sections on these skits always devolve into utter rubbish - he cannot act, so this overblown character they require for those skits becomes all the more terrible. the other two, even in those characters, tend to be far more subtle.

Even the sections where that isn't required he's painful. The news section yesterday had him completely ruin a fairly cheap gag on Clarkson's public servant shooting intentions by 'hanging a lampshade on it' - making it increasingly less subtle a gag and immediately making it less funny.

Having said that, even if you deleted Hammond from it, you'd still not have much worth watching. The section was a return to everything bad about the last couple of years of Top Gear. Put it like this - it was such a bad skit that one of Top Gear's script editors publically apologised for it.

Still, the India special made it look like award worthy.

on the skit bit ..was the footage shown at the end Clarksons , or done by the proper director blokey ?

it appeared to be the footage that Clarkson was "directing / Shooting "

agreed Hammond does ham it up a bit

oh and did anyone spot the blonde cutie during the news .. love it when they do totty placement , hadn't noticed it for a couple of weeks .. maybe that is the indication of how much better the previous 2 weeks had been that I hadn't resorted to talent spotting ?

oh and did anyone spot the blonde cutie during the news .. love it when they do totty placement , hadn't noticed it for a couple of weeks .. maybe that is the indication of how much better the previous 2 weeks had been that I hadn't resorted to talent spotting ?

I was rather more taken by the short haired... brunette?/some odd dyed colour, looked almost mauve... looker behind Ryan Reynolds. I was utterly transfixed. I actually cannot comment on how good Reynolds himself was a guest (apparently good?), because I was too busy checking out her. Show highlight.

The film bit may not have been quite so excruciatingly awful were it not for Hammonds... presence. Nothing he does is funny, his sections on these skits always devolve into utter rubbish - he cannot act, so this overblown character they require for those skits becomes all the more terrible. the other two, even in those characters, tend to be far more subtle.

Even the sections where that isn't required he's painful. The news section yesterday had him completely ruin a fairly cheap gag on Clarkson's public servant shooting intentions by 'hanging a lampshade on it' - making it increasingly less subtle a gag and immediately making it less funny.

Having said that, even if you deleted Hammond from it, you'd still not have much worth watching. The section was a return to everything bad about the last couple of years of Top Gear. Put it like this - it was such a bad skit that one of Top Gear's script editors publically apologised for it.

Still, the India special made it look like award worthy.

Really? id quite like to read that, got a link?

It was just a tweet, one of the script editors is on twitter as SniffPetrol, check his feed. He basically just says sorry for how bad it was and not to blame him for it, he basically straight up says he thought it was shit.

Hey Chindie, any chance you can post what was said on by sniffpetrol as I'm not on (and have no intention to be on) Twitter. Ta.

After being asked about his involvement with TG being location and studio scripts

Both. But please don't blame me for the Sweeney film. I was out-voted on that one.

Guy who asks the previous question says he's glad he wasn't to blame for it - says they'd dropped a bollock with that skit

I shouldn't say in public what I thought of that item. But it would involve the F word and the S word. And maybe the W word.

So anyway, tonight's Top Gear. Sorry about that.

A fella replies to above saying he should be sorry, it had him in stitches

What is WRONG with you? It was SHITE.

Guy who likes it later replies with 'Ah, not your scripts then this week?'

Less than usual. There were arguments

Some people also suggested something that crossed my mind - the whole skit basically being an ad for a film. He denies categorically that that was the intention, or that they'd done the skit thanks to budget cuts meaning some money for a skit from the Sweeney film studio was hard to turn down as the BBC would not allow it. I have to admit that I also flt that, intentionally or not, the whole thing played like an extended ad for an upcoming film.

But there you go - even one of the people writing TG hated it.

Best of the series so far. Even the scooter skit, which disastrous written all over it in the series preview, was decent. And props to them for not falling into the trap of being almost voyeuristic with the injured soldiers aspect, something they had done last time. I don't think it's a coincidence that the skit featured little to no 'Hammond' character stuff.

Fassbender was a sound guest (don't believe the time for a second, but that hasn't been the point of the section for donkeys), and there was eye candy over the guests shoulder again.

They even had a dig at how bad the India special was.

Good stuff!

I don't really see why they'd fake the times. I could see it if they kept putting people top. But why, last night, would they go "yeah we'll fake his time and put him 4th". What does that gain them?

It looked a pretty tidy lap so time made sense to me.

And if they're pandering to the celebrites, why didn't they put Will.I.Am much higher? Most of us on here probably think he's a dick, but he's a huge huge star.

Why would they fake Fassbender's time but leave Will.I.Am as it was?

I don't know why, I've just thought all hasn't been quite as it appears. I think it started with Tom Cruise and Cameron Diaz both going top.

Didn't Will.i.am drive an auto? That might explain why they couldn't put him right at the top.