Top Gear

Jez

I would have the S , but it's got sport (bucket ?? ) seats with a red trim and I'm not 19 ...

but must admit though every time I've seen the A5 I've always liked the look of it , I've always dismissed it previously for being 2 door (and not practical for me with 2 young kids ) .. which is the point with the Jag sales people being so crap .. had they done their job I wouldn't have gone on the internet and even been aware of the 4 door version of the A5

As much as I love the S, it would be really difficult to justify buying one. Said colleague tells me he's lucky to get 20mpg out of it on his daily commute.

As lovely as it is, the A5 is far more sensible and doesnt compromise on looks at all.

I went to have a look at the Evoque on Saturday

have to say I was disappointed with it .. too small in the back and the boot and whilst the equipment spec is quite nice the speedo & the other dial behind the steering wheel look third world in comparison to the the rest of the car

I then went to the XF , and maybe cause I've had mine for 3 years , it just seemed to have lost it's wow factor that it had when it first launched

Also I was in the showroom for 25 minutes and not one single person approached me to see if i wanted assistance , bearing in mind I rolled up in one of their cars to start with it should give them an idea that I am potential serious buyer ... maybe I needed to put sunglasses on the top of my head and drape a jumper over my shoulders like the people they were fawning over instead and I may have got some help (it was Ascot after all !!) ... anyhow , result of that is I'm going to Audi tomorrow to look at the A5 Sportback .. 4 wheel drive if I need it , a nice engine , 0-60 in 5.7 (or is it 5.9 ?) secs but also a family car for when the kids are in the back .. had Jaguar been a bit more attentive I probably would have brought another XF , now Audi could get the money instead

Mother in Law drives the Quattro version.

Its lovely. Very very nice.

have to say I was disappointed with it .. too small in the back and the boot and whilst the equipment spec is quite nice the speedo & the other dial behind the steering wheel look third world in comparison to the the rest of the car

I then went to the XF , and maybe cause I've had mine for 3 years , it just seemed to have lost it's wow factor that it had when it first launched

Also I was in the showroom for 25 minutes and not one single person approached me to see if i wanted assistance , bearing in mind I rolled up in one of their cars to start with it should give them an idea that I am potential serious buyer ... maybe I needed to put sunglasses on the top of my head and drape a jumper over my shoulders like the people they were fawning over instead and I may have got some help (it was Ascot after all !!) ... anyhow , result of that is I'm going to Audi tomorrow to look at the A5 Sportback .. 4 wheel drive if I need it , a nice engine , 0-60 in 5.7 (or is it 5.9 ?) secs but also a family car for when the kids are in the back .. had Jaguar been a bit more attentive I probably would have brought another XF , now Audi could get the money instead

Mother in Law drives the S Line Quattro version.

Its lovely. Very very nice.

Our dealers are notorious for doing stuff like that.

Plus, before the XJ was launched, when customers were asking why it had been delayed, they were telling them that it was because there were big problems and they had dodgy electrics.

Not exactly something you want to tell your potential customers!

Unfortunately, how the dealerships are run is something we have relatively little control over.

Our dealers are notorious for doing stuff like that.

Plus, before the XJ was launched, when customers were asking why it had been delayed, they were telling them that it was because there were big problems and they had dodgy electrics.

Not exactly something you want to tell your potential customers!

Unfortunately, how the dealerships are run is something we have relatively little control over.

Threaten them by saying sort it out or bye bye franchise.

Must say I don't understand how a lack of attention from a salesman would make you spend a small fortune elsewhere though. If I was about to spend £30k-£40k on a car, I'm fairly certain I'd know what car I would want and it has little to do with how much fawning is done at the showroom. I can understand being bemused by their lack of attention but if I want the car then I want the car. If anything, the fawning is them potentially trying to sell you things you don't necessarily want to buy in the first place, so being allowed to wander around unhassled might even be quite refreshing :)

Doesn't really work like that

Really? I've always worked on the assumption dealers tend to be 3rd parties with no links to manufacturers beyond the fact that they sell your product?

Surely if they aren't reaching JLRs standards they should be told to sort it?

FWIW my local dealer is excellent. Really really pleased. Even let me drive round their mini off road course cos I felt like having a go.

That's assuming you have your heart set on a car.

If you're thinking "Oh I might buy the XF or I might buy the A5, I'll pop down the dealerships and have a look at them", and then at the Jag dealership they ignore you and at the Audi dealership they greet you and tell you about the car, show you it's features and offer you a test drive etc etc then it could make all the difference

But surely every walk in is a potential customer, and in JLRs case its likely to be upwards of 30k a pop? Wouldn't you make the effort to make customers feel valued and special?

(I have no knowledge of retail on any level - so for all I know the real motto could be "The Customer is a Dickhead 99/100."

Must say I don't understand how a lack of attention from a salesman would make you spend a small fortune elsewhere though. If I was about to spend £30k-£40k on a car, I'm fairly certain I'd know what car I would want and it has little to do with how much fawning is done at the showroom. I can understand being bemused by their lack of attention but if I want the car then I want the car. If anything, the fawning is them potentially trying to sell you things you don't necessarily want to buy in the first place, so being allowed to wander around unhassled might even be quite refreshing :)

it's not about the fawning but I always expect a good level of customer service when i go somewhere ( for want of a better word ) .. I'll walk out of shops if I don't get served in about 30 seconds ( I don't mean if it's busy and staff are all occupied , but if they are sitting about scratching their arses ) ..

I'd gone in prepared to buy the Evoque or plan B another XF , i hadn't even considered another other options at that point ... really in that class of car it comes down to the XF or a 5 series , I'm not 87 so wouldn't consider a Merc .. and the 5 series is , well it's a 5 series isn't it , but the Evogue had intrigued me and gone to the top of the list

and then I was a little underwhelmed by them both .... a salesman may have persuaded me , told me how the ride was so good that it wouldn't matter that the wing mirrors look like they were cast from dumbo's ears , the reliability , the blah blah blah ... that nobody even bothered to speak to me meant I went home and looked on the interweb for alternatives that I hadn't even considered before i.e Audi

it's not about the fawning but I always expect a good level of customer service when i go somewhere ( for want of a better word ) .. I'll walk out of shops if I don't get served in about 30 seconds ( I don't mean if it's busy and staff are all occupied , but if they are sitting about scratching their arses ) ..

I'd gone in prepared to buy the Evoque or plan B another XF , i hadn't even considered another other options at that point ... really in that class of car it comes down to the XF or a 5 series , I'm not 87 so wouldn't consider a Merc .. and the 5 series is , well it's a 5 series isn't it , but the Evogue had intrigued me and gone to the top of the list

and then I was a little underwhelmed by them both .... a salesman may have persuaded me , told me how the ride was so good that it wouldn't matter that the wing mirrors look like they were cast from dumbo's ears , the reliability , the blah blah blah ... that nobody even bothered to speak to me meant I went home and looked on the interweb for alternatives that I hadn't even considered before i.e Audi

So in your case, my comment above would have netted them a sale? To that JLR dealer you were an open goal, a sitter..... interested in not one but two possible options - a coffee and a chat would have sorted the deal.

Instead, ze Germans again succeed where we fail.

I think when you're buying a car like a Jaguar or a Land Rover, the customer service forms as much a part of the product as the car itself does. If you're about to spend £30k+ on a car, then a warm welcome and level of interest is the least you should expect, particularly bearing in mind that these will probably be the people responsible for servicing and aftercare. Mercedes, for example, will often ring you to arrange a service, arrive at your door with a replacement car and have your vehicle back on your drive the same day and it's this kind of service that can tip the balance.

I won't buy a 5 ... I did think about the ED as I can have it at about half the cost company car tax wise but whilst I'm not a boy racer I do like a bit of speed and well and 0-60 measured with a calendar isn't really for me ..

but Eames is correct chances are a cup of coffee would have secured the deal .... and then I'd have driven past an A5 sportback on my way home and gone D'oh

I think when you're buying a car like a Jaguar or a Land Rover, the customer service forms as much a part of the product as the car itself does. If you're about to spend £30k+ on a car, then a warm welcome and level of interest is the least you should expect, particularly bearing in mind that these will probably be the people responsible for servicing and aftercare. Mercedes, for example, will often ring you to arrange a service, arrive at your door with a replacement car and have your vehicle back on your drive the same day.

Had nothing but good experiences with BMW when we had the Mini.

Nice bit of stuff at Mini:

"Sorry Sir we don't have any Mini's to give you as a Courtesy Car, but we have one of our BMW demonstrators for you if thats ok?"

He's me expecting a 1 series..... and yes... thats an M3 for the day.

Me: "Yeah that will do I suppose".

:D

VW here are tossers though.

Niiice. Had they given me an M3, I'd probably have snuck back in and sabotaged my own car to keep them busy with it for a little while longer.

As a side note, if you're buying an A5 Tony, then surely a test drive in an R8 is the deal breaker?

I won't buy a 5 ... I did think about the ED as I can have it at about half the cost company car tax wise but whilst I'm not a boy racer I do like a bit of speed and well and 0-60 measured with a calendar isn't really for me ..

but Eames is correct chances are a cup of coffee would have secured the deal .... and then I'd have driven past an A5 sportback on my way home and gone D'oh

It is very very nice. MIL won't let me have a go in it though.

Miserable cow.

Mercedes, for example, will often ring you to arrange a service, arrive at your door with a replacement car and have your vehicle back on your drive the same day and it's this kind of service that can tip the balance.

tbf Jag have always done this ... my first 2 or 3 bmw's so did they but they withdraw that service and funnily enough that was about the time I looked elsewhere rather than having another one .... I live near Mercedes world in Brooklands .. when i went there they let me take the cars out on their track .. think i took 2 or 3 of them out at full tilt , spun around on the black ice etc .. impressive stuff and the car was good tbf ... the big problem there was the salesman then let me go home to think about it and I saw an advert for the XF that night on TV ....