The push for the Play offs ?

hippo

If Brighton keep going then a playoff is our only realistic chance (we should still target 1st/2nd though)

My only fear in the playoff would be

Sods law v SHA

v Leeds

v Derby

I think Leeds will make it to the playoffs. Reading, Hudders', Fulham (on a roll atm) Shef W (hanging around, Derby (unless McSchteeev bottles it again) & The SHA (just to piss us off) will all be thereabouts.

Then Brucieeeeeeeeeeeeeey's magic to get us there.

Dreading losing in a playoff

2 hours ago, ender4 said:

Do we have a bigger squad than Brighton, Reading, Sheffield, Derby, Huddersfield and Leeds? 

I have no idea as i've never paid any attention to them.

Pretty sure we do look at the players that didn't start on Sat,

Mccormack, Gestede, RHM, Gabby, Richards, Baker,  - like I say look at the noses who had to play an 18 year old because of injuries/suspension. 

If we are looking to catch Brighton (why not aim high!).

They are still averaging 2.1 points per game across almost half a season.  Continuing this will give them 96 points.

For us to catch Brighton, we will need to average 2.6 points per game for the rest of the season.  

Thats 68 points from 26 games, or roughly 22 wins, 2 draws, and 2 losses.  

1 hour ago, Grasshopper said:

If Brighton keep going then a playoff is our only realistic chance (we should still target 1st/2nd though)

My only fear in the playoff would be

Sods law v SHA

v Leeds

v Derby

I think Leeds will make it to the playoffs. Reading, Hudders', Fulham (on a roll atm) Shef W (hanging around, Derby (unless McSchteeev bottles it again) & The SHA (just to piss us off) will all be thereabouts.

Then Brucieeeeeeeeeeeeeey's magic to get us there.

Dreading losing in a playoff

I have  afeeling blose are going to drop off soon now. This is exactly what happened last season. They started really well then come turn of new year they starting falling. Leeds I dont fear them. We were pretty poor and they only scored from a goal keeping error. Up to that point we restricted them. If we played well like we did against Brighton we would have beat them. We will beat them at Villa Park I think. Derby are a interesting one they could be a problem. I also think Sheffield Wednesday are another  

1 minute ago, Demitri_C said:

I have  afeeling blose are going to drop off soon now. This is exactly what happened last season. They started really well then come turn of new year they starting falling. Leeds I dont fear them. We were pretty poor and they only scored from a goal keeping error. Up to that point we restricted them. If we played well like we did against Brighton we would have beat them. We will beat them at Villa Park I think. Derby are a interesting one they could be a problem. I also think Sheffield Wednesday are another  

Going slightly off topic but just to talk about Leeds that u mentioned there. After watching them against us and Brighton on Friday night and few highlights this season,  everything good they do seems to go through Charlie Taylor. Best LB in the league, hands down. We stop him having an influence on the 29th,we go a long way towards winning imo

2 hours ago, ender4 said:

They are still averaging 2.1 points per game across almost half a season.  Continuing this will give them 96 points.

For us to catch Brighton, we will need to average 2.6 points per game for the rest of the season.  

To have a chance we need to win 7/8 on the trot just to get us in within touching distance. Unless they collapse I can't see us catching them but I'll be happy to get the playoffs after where we were under RDM. One thing that will play a big factor is the fact we've played virtually all our rivals away and they've got to come to us in the new year. 

3 hours ago, ender4 said:

Yeah that's definitely not happening. Would love for someone to quote me on this in May though :D 

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, One For The Road said:

Just been chatting to Darren Bent in the Mailbox. Seems to think they are confident of competing for automatic. Also reckons McClaren is a good manager and the players are behind him.

Hardly likely to say anything else is he in all honesty?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ender4 said:

They won't finish on 96 points though, not saying we'll get close to them, but 90 points won it last season. Newcastle could finish on 96 but they will have a bad month at some point too. Either way for us to get second from here would be monumental, and mental. I don't think we'd need a run of 22 wins, 2 draws and 2 losses to do it though, we'd prob need 60 points though so not far off! 

I just hope a play off spot doesnt become a bullshit holy grail for us, something that the football gods use to tease and torment us with. Kind of like hog tying a fat kid with a piece of cake just out of mouth's reach. Its pretty funny to watch, unless you are the fat kid.

Get within touching distance, lose to Leeds. Then a run of draws. We win, but everybody else above us wins too. All those scenarios just to annoy us. Just move into the top 6, then keep going onwards and upwards. Dont deny us, o spiteful and malicious playful fates!

Find it bizarre people are turning their noses up at the play offs.

Given the state we were in after PNE away I'd imagine the same posters were saying no chance of the play offs....I certainly read a few of those on here and now it's apparently we have to go up automatically which is still a very long shot.

I'd fancy us over two legs especially if we play at VP second...but yeah the Wembley final would be a problem as we seem to have trouble even getting shots on target from open play in those games....is it two shots on target in our three most recent cup finals?

Still I'd snap your hand off for a play off place now...amazed not everyone is like that.

Good news is SB is adept at both...twice taken a team up automatically and twice got up through the play offs so either way he's probably the best manager to have at this level form April onwards.

On ‎10‎/‎12‎/‎2016 at 22:24, dont_do_it_doug. said:

He knows him well, lad can do a job at this level, I'd take Alex Bruce. Uninspiring but whatever, we have a decent first 3. 

I actually have no idea who he plays for now...is he still at Hull? Haven't seen his name in their team for months. It's usually Dawson, Davies and Harry Maguire has been playing a fair bit recently aswell.

6 hours ago, One For The Road said:

Just been chatting to Darren Bent in the Mailbox. Seems to think they are confident of competing for automatic. Also reckons McClaren is a good manager and the players are behind him.

They're very similar to us....signed what looked a decent manager on paper to start the season and then said manager totally messed up the first two months with ill advised signings and formations.

Derby will certainly finish in the play offs with their squad...yeah wouldn't shock me if they challenge for 2nd although I'd still fancy Brighton to see the job through this season.