January 2017 transfer window

Jareth

2 minutes ago, walesavfc said:

been following the Sheffield wednesday forum and "their Jordan Rhodes saga"  from what i can make out so far,

1)they think its between us and them getting him on loan.....

2) they are obsessed with the parachute payments, not getting the reason for them is that premiership wages are 2 to 3 times of whats paid in championship.

3)they like counting the number of pages

We're still chucking around Premier League wages whilst in the Championship tbh.

6 minutes ago, bobzy said:

I actually don't know how I feel about it.  On the one hand, it's nice that we have ambition and we're fixing our problems... but on the other, it kind of feels like we have no real plan and will just spend because we can.  I don't like that side of football and I don't like that we are "it" for this league.

(Also, FWIW, I think I'd rather have Newcastle's team.  Just about.)

I can see where you are coming from. I do agree that we don't seem to have a plan. The plan right now seems to be "fix midfield, hope that fixes the club", but it may not work we have yet to see our new midfield play.

I just think after years of neglect from a former owner all this feel good energy is a good thing. We do need a plan at some point, but for now I'm happy to see Aston Villa spending like a big club. It's something I didn't think we'd see again after the O'Neil era went tits up. 

3 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

Are we?

I'm not sure £30-40k buys you much in the PL anymore. Might get you Ashley Westwood. 

I think you're wrong.  We had the 7th highest wage bill in the Premier League last season - our top earner would have been... maybe £60k/wk?

I should imagine your "star" players at each team will be commanding that sort of fee (PL ever-presents excluded) but would imagine the majority of players are around £30-40k/wk.

1 minute ago, Daweii said:

I can see where you are coming from. I do agree that we don't seem to have a plan. The plan right now seems to be "fix midfield, hope that fixes the club", but it may not work we have yet to see our new midfield play.

I just think after years of neglect from a former owner all this feel good energy is a good thing. We do need a plan at some point, but for now I'm happy to see Aston Villa spending like a big club. It's something I didn't think we'd see again after the O'Neil era went tits up. 

Well, we've spent (reportedly) maybe £40m on strikers if we get Hogan this season.  At Championship level.  That's **** ridiculous.

Edited by bobzy

Just now, bobzy said:

Well, we've spent (reportedly) maybe £40m on strikers if we get Hogan this season.  At Championship level.  That's **** ridiculous.

wait until we are back in the prem i can see the good Dr spending 40m per player i really can

2 minutes ago, bobzy said:

I think you're wrong.  We had the 7th highest wage bill in the Premier League last season - our top earner would have been... maybe £60k/wk?

I should imagine your "star" players at each team will be commanding that sort of fee (PL ever-presents excluded) but would imagine the majority of players are around £30-40k/wk.

I wouldn't bank on any of that being true anymore. Most of that team are gone. At a guess we have the 2nd highest wage bill in the league though so it's about time we did something with it, for sure. 

We won't go up this year, but next season is a must. It's a gamble, but one I'm relatively pleased we're taking. 

28 goals in 27 games is shocking really seeing the cash we have spent - let's hope we start banging them in now as the players we've signed seem to know where the net is.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, bobzy said:

, it kind of feels like we have no real plan and will just spend because we can. 

It seems to me there is a clear plan  - to strengthen in positions that have been weak and to sell or loan individuals who have failed to deliver. The success of the plan depends on whether the right people have been chosen as replacements and furthermore can be moulded quickly into a functioning team by Steve Bruce. That's his gamble.

But to say it seems like there is no real plan seems odd. Could you explain why you think there is no real plan?

Edited by briny_ear
  • Like 3

Just now, Eastie said:

28 goals in 27 games is shocking really seeing the cash we have spent - let's hope we start banging them in now as the players we've signed seem to know where the net is.

Yeah, it really is!  Although players do take time to gel etc.

I think we'll have a solid end to the season - whether it'll be enough to scrape a playoff place, who knows.

2 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

I wouldn't bank on any of that being true anymore. Most of that team are gone. At a guess we have the 2nd highest wage bill in the league though so it's about time we did something with it, for sure. 

We won't go up this year, but next season is a must. It's a gamble, but one I'm relatively pleased we're taking. 

A few wins and build up of momentum and I wouldn't write off 6th place just yet - if we do make the play offs I'd fancy our chances .

• Like 1

2 separate managers though and if we had spent nothing people would say we'd given up or that the Dr. didn't have the ambition. I don't know if there's an amount in the middle that wouldn't haven't been spending quite a bit and also wouldn't have been lack of ambition? 

Spending money doesn't necessarily mean it's 'spending just because we can', the balance and performances of the team will show that one way or another.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, vreitti said:

There's something strange at work here now, I can't seem to find the Westwood thread anywhere...

You need to look sideways to find it.