January 2017 transfer window

Jareth

8 minutes ago, AVFC44 said:

Feel like we're going to massively overpay for Hogan.

Also feel like Rhodes would have been a better option.

We massively overpaid for Kodjia, this is the time we're in, I can't say I'm too happy about the fee but it's not my money and IMO he's a better player than Kodjia with more upside. Rhodes, well for me is just a one trick money, limited and not versatile enough for how Bruce likes to play. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Grasshopper said:

Today's the day to celebrate,

The foe have met their fate

It's worked on me.

I'm walking zombie-like around the office, eyes glazed over chanting "Today's the day to celebrate, the foe have met their fate..."

Edited by The Moustache of Teale
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

We massively overpaid for Kodjia, this is the time we're in, I can't say I'm too happy about the fee but it's not my money and IMO he's a better player than Kodjia with more upside. Rhodes, well for me is just a one trick money, limited and not versatile enough for how Bruce likes to play. 

Agree with you mate, however I think Kodjia will repay his fee now he has service. I think hogan will be a much better option than Rhodes. On paper McCormack should have been a safer option than Kodjia and we can all see how that turned out, McCormack isn't even fit enough to lace Kodjia's boots. 

From what I have seen Hogan seems to have a bit more in his pocket than Kodjia does and hopefully together they can build a great partnership.

Rhodes for me isn't the type of player that could handle the step up to the premiership (when we get there) yet I think hogan could. Good bit of business I feel.

Edited by Villa Stu

1 minute ago, ViewFromT2 said:

Really really don't, and never will, understand how as fans we would be 'happy' or 'delighted' or have any feeling whatsoever about a fee for a player? Whop cares?

Always makes me laugh. The fee is totally irrelevant, its not our money....the club pay serious wages to people to worry about transfer fees, it's not for fans to worry about. It shouldn't matter a jot what the fee is, all that matters is...can he do the business?

• If we paid £40m for Hogan and he scored 25 goals between now and May and we go up....is that over paying?
  • If we paid £0.5m for Hogan and he doesn't score a single goal all season....is that a bargain?

By being 'unhappy' at the fee in my mind shows a lack of trust in the management team at the club. Just trust them to worry about the financials....we should only worry about whether the player can improve us.

It's all very well having the 'who cares' attitude because it's not your money. But can £15m on a Championship striker be better spent? i'm sure it can (we just got Lansbury, Hourihane, Bree and that Icelandic guy altogether for over half that fee for example).

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ViewFromT2 said:

Really really don't, and never will, understand how as fans we would be 'happy' or 'delighted' or have any feeling whatsoever about a fee for a player? Whop cares?

Always makes me laugh. The fee is totally irrelevant, its not our money....the club pay serious wages to people to worry about transfer fees, it's not for fans to worry about. It shouldn't matter a jot what the fee is, all that matters is...can he do the business?

• If we paid £40m for Hogan and he scored 25 goals between now and May and we go up....is that over paying?
  • If we paid £0.5m for Hogan and he doesn't score a single goal all season....is that a bargain?

By being 'unhappy' at the fee in my mind shows a lack of trust in the management team at the club. Just trust them to worry about the financials....we should only worry about whether the player can improve us.

Those crazy fee's and wages Randy paid out really worked out well for us didn't it , I recall people being worried then and told oh not your money don't worry.

Whilst I am confident we have a better management structure in place , given recent history I can completely understand people being worried about fee's being paid.I mean as it stands we currently have a player (Ross) signed for 12mil in the summer on 40 odd k a week who is sitting around stuck behind the gates at home.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, ViewFromT2 said:

Really really don't, and never will, understand how as fans we would be 'happy' or 'delighted' or have any feeling whatsoever about a fee for a player? Who cares?

You can't really blame fans for showing a lack of trust given our track record with managers and signings over the past 7 years. It's been a scarring time for us all. 

Edited by Dr_Pangloss
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, ViewFromT2 said:

A small part of my brain agrees with you, the rest is too damaged from being a villa fan to be anything other than sceptical about trusting the people at the top to get financials right

1 minute ago, AVFC44 said:

It's all very well having the 'who cares' attitude because it's not your money. But can £15m on a Championship striker be better spent? i'm sure it can (we just got Lansbury, Hourihane, Bree and that Icelandic guy altogether for over half that fee for example).

Strikers are always expensive especially ones on form and in January. I get your point that for whatever reason there is only so much you can spend, and spending it wisely isn't something we've been particularly good at in the recent past. However the management team we have now are a world away from the management team, if one actually existed, under Lerner and even before him. 

8 minutes ago, ViewFromT2 said:

Really really don't, and never will, understand how as fans we would be 'happy' or 'delighted' or have any feeling whatsoever about a fee for a player? Who cares?

Testify, brother !

dPJpYxv.gif

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, ViewFromT2 said:

That's very true but, if he doesn't improve us, that's a lot of money to have gambled with. Maybe it is just me but I like to gamble on safer bets.