January 2017 transfer window

Jareth

I wouldn't be against Danny Ward from Rotherham if we're looking for what should essentially be a back-up striker

If we're going to play with 1 or 2 strikers, we shouldn't be paying first team wages to 5 and bringing in a 6th on the same money. Wait till the summer when we shift Kozak, Gabby, McCormack and maybe Ayew and look for the ideal foil for Kodjia. 

A loan deal or a good underrated option would be my suggestion for this window. Even somone like Hugill who scored 2 against us, different player to Kodjia and on peanuts at Preston. Ipswich seem to think they can buy him cheap so why not hijack the bid? 

Edited by skarroki

1 hour ago, Tommo_b said:

I get your point but to be fair, Moore and McGrath are a much higher pedigree then Ayew, that's the difference between greatness.

But what do you want me to do.....name names you have never heard of.

look at the principle, not the specifics.

15 hours ago, jon_c said:

I think Taylor is a decent leftback but that would be a terrible deal by us. Can see Ayew going all Adama on us, if he moved to Swansea.

Funny. I've seen people ask about getting him in fantasy football after watching some highlights but as with us he's done FA for Boro and plays if fit

3 hours ago, One For The Road said:

I doubt very much we will be signing Rhodes given what Boro want for him. Not unless we find some mug to give us 10 mil plus for McCormack. 

How close are we to breaching FFP anyway? Can't be too far. 

Did a bit of looking into this and Bournemouth took a £7m fine for breaching FFP the season they got promoted. Not ideal but worst case scenario we get promoted this or next season and pay the fine, £7m or even double that compared to the income generated once promoted to the PL isn't even close. Saying that though failure to get promotion this or next season and if we do breach ffp we are then placed with a transfer embargo (Forest and Fulham)

Edited by dudevillaisnice

1 hour ago, Demitri_C said:

Percy thinks Rhodes could be coming as Boro are set to lower price. I reckon 8m will get him. Sell McCormack for 8m and get Rhodes 

All we need to do is hit the sell button right?

As if any club are offering us £8m for Ross McDoorstuck

• Like 4

26 minutes ago, TrentVilla said:

Exactly hes a cat c, gas guzzling write off that no one can insure. We've well and truly had our pants pulled down by him

Edited by Uncle Albert

5 minutes ago, wilko154 said:

Can you honestly say there was a buzz when we signed Benteke? And look how that one turned out...

You say we can do better but we are a Championship team sitting in 13th place in the table, signing a Premiership striker with a great scoring record in the Championship. Not really sure how much better we could do here?!

I kinda agree with your post, but I still feel the same way as OBE.

All the things you mention are true, but at the same time one can say that Rhodes is a player who can't even get a look in at a struggling PL team who can't score for toffee (18 goals in 22) nor can he get into a very poor Scottish side. But he still might set us back almost £10m, because the English market is broken.

Given that this seems to be a merry-go-round with the notion that we'll get Ayew out and Rhodes in (with some other factors involved to, just to complicate matters), I'm really not a fan of the bottom line. 

Whilst Ayew is inconsistent and has struggled with his end product, he's had such little support from the midfield in the past that it's hard to judge what he is capable of now that we have some of the best attacking midfield options in the league. Rhodes looks out of form and hasn't played much for quite a while - I don't really want us to sign a striker low on confidence/potentially low on match fitness. We need to sign someone who'll hit the ground running, if we're going for another striker IMO. 

1 hour ago, TrentVilla said:

Well if that fat a hole gets himself in shape he us proven at this level so I think 7-8m is not unrealistic 

7 minutes ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

I'd like to see Ayew being deployed in a central role with the new midfield behind him, I still find him and Kodjia up top an interesting proposition, with Ayew being more of a second striker. Swapping Ayew for a left back would be extremely dumb business IMO. 

I agree. I think we're strong enough in midfield now to be able to play two up top and two wide men.