January 2017 transfer window

Jareth

6 minutes ago, avfc1982 said:

I'd like to think the Villa could at the very least match the wages that Norwich pay and even better them. 

No argument there but what I meant is comparatively high for our current predicament given FFP and all that shiz. Although competition with Norwich could be doable, with PL interest it might be difficult to match them with the big money over this and next year. 

Totally agree with others though, there's nothing to see here, I just thought it was worth posting out of interest.

6 minutes ago, dn1982 said:

Westwood has never been quality. He's a decent footballer and I agree about his confidence affecting his game but that's the problem with limited footballers. On a good day they're at most a 7 out of 10 on an off day or out of form they're 2/3 which are the performances he's showing now. When we had Delph he'd be min 7/10 but had the capability to get up to the 9/10 games and win them on his own. I think Lansbury can do similar in the sense he will win you points on his own. We need better in CM and hopefully Lansbury will be the first. I'd love Cleverley back. 

I think Westwood's composure, work ethic, vision and passing is quality when he's playing confidently.  They are good areas to be strong in if you're a central midfielder. He also chipped in with some goals at the end of last season which is an area he can improve in.

The less I say about Delph the better. I have just never rated him highly even when he was at his best for us.

24 minutes ago, Michael118 said:

I think Westwood's composure, work ethic, vision and passing is quality when he's playing confidently.  They are good areas to be strong in if you're a central midfielder. He also chipped in with some goals at the end of last season which is an area he can improve in.

The less I say about Delph the better. I have just never rated him highly even when he was at his best for us.

Did you vote Trump as well?

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Michael118 said:

:clap:

oh wait :huh:

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I see we are trying to get Delph on loan. Doubt it will ever happen but if it did I think we make playoffs.

No, we're not. It was just a dumb rumour that had absolutely zero chance of coming true. Can we talk about realistic targets now, please?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Michael118 said:

Lol, he hasn't had any confidence whilst playing in the c&b then.

To say his Villa career has been dire is an understatement!

When we had our best spells in football......we signed players none of us fans had ever heard of.....they just blended very,very, well.

nowadays its just lists of easy targets.

I was kinda hoping that a strategy of blending together attributes that would form a balanced team, would be the new order.

Example......Leeds have assembled a very powerful back line, with only Green having any kind of reputation, but they look very strong and cost modest funds.

I fear this model we follow will turn up, very little......hope I am wrong.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, TRO said:

When we had our best spells in football......we signed players none of us fans had ever heard of.....they just blended very,very, well.

I was kinda hoping that a strategy of blending together attributes that would form a balanced team, would be the new order.

Example......Leeds have assembled a very powerful back line, with only a Green having any kind of reputation, but they look very strong and cost modest funds.

I think the model that we seem to be following reflects the urgency of our situation, at least as that urgency as viewed by management/ownership. I'm not sure it would be fruitful over a longer term, but I would think once we were on firmer foundations (and back in the PL) the 're-build' could take place over a longer period of time and happen more organically. I'm not sure how long Leeds have been assembling that squad, but I doubt our ownership would accept the leisurely pace of more than half a season at this moment in time while promotion is still possible. 

I'm not too worried about the kinds of player we seem to be being linked with, or the types we bought over the summer. I think this league can be conquered with 'brute force' so to speak, and by that I mean simply buying better players and having a good manager. We've got some good players, and we've got a good manager, so I still think a few quality additions and we will have a decent side. 

Perhaps there's luck as well as judgement though in these things. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, TRO said:

Example......Leeds have assembled a very powerful back line, with only a Green having any kind of reputation, but they look very strong and cost modest funds.

I think this approach is only viable if you have decent foundations to build on. It was the approach that was taken by Lambert and sherwood to try to rebuild the whole squad and what that shown was that for every decent signing (a Benteke or Amavi) there was 4 or 5 bad signings (Westwood, el ahmadi, tonev etc).

My point being it is a risky strategy to take in our position as we need to build a team that will hit the ground running and with 3 or 4 good quality signings in this window it should be achieved.

At this point we could then start looking at finding the next Benteke.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Michael118 said:

If he is quality what word would you use to describe a Cowans? Gerrard? Mortimer? Milner even? 

30 minutes ago, TRO said:

What spells and What players? These days with social media and football saturation oh and the inevitable football manager most avid fans know or have heard of any decent players. 

34 minutes ago, TRO said:

Example......Leeds have assembled a very powerful back line, with only Green having any kind of reputation, but they look very strong and cost modest funds.

Don't forget about the youth and reserves, just wait and see

2 hours ago, Michael118 said:

Do you actually believe in what you type?

Westwood has got worse year on year (after an admittedly promising first year). Even going down a division he is awful

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, dn1982 said:

What spells and What players? These days with social media and football saturation oh and the inevitable football manager most avid fans know or have heard of any decent players. 

Mainly 1976 to 1985.....but we have picked up a few unknowns since.

• Cropley
  • Bremner
  • A Evans
  • A Gray
  • Swain
  • Morley
  • Teale
  • Ugo egiohgu
  • carradus
  • Delaney
  • Gidman
  • Barry
  • Platt
  • Yorke
  • Benteke
  • Nielsen
  • Laursen
  • Mellberg
  • Leonard
  • Nilis

I'm sure there are more too.....but do you get my drift.

• Like 2