January 2017 transfer window

Jareth

Sam Johnston pretty much done - I will feel a LOT more confident about that position now

STEVE BRUCE is going back to Manchester United to sign keeper Sam Johnstone for Aston Villa.

Bruce has agreed a loan deal for respected reserve Johnstone who will be his number one at Villa Park.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/football/2503800/aston-villa-target-sam-johnstone-manchester-united-goalkeeper-set-to-be-steve-bruces-first-january-signing-after-agreeing-a-loan-move/

2 hours ago, VillanousOne said:

My comment was more on the lack of activity rather than not signing Rhodes.

You think there is a lack of activity because we haven't been gossiped about enough in the media before the transfer window opens?  :blink:

• Like 1

Build the midfield, and the goals will come. No more hoof and hopeball. Instead of trying to do everything individually, let the strikers do what they do best, and ' finish' what some other cunning shit has started.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, darrenm said:

Last thing I'm saying about Delph here but it still amazes me how many people don't think his u turn was anything to do with disgraced former chairman Randolph Lerner.

Possibly. I know you said it was the last thing you were going to say, but please, go on. Genuinely interested.

2 hours ago, Xela said:

Bruce signed him at Wigan and Sunderland I believe, so he rates him

Not sure how gettable he is? 

Nevermind that. He's never fit for more than a couple of games a season. Also always a walking red card every time he does play.

5 hours ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

If I'm a decent midfielder I'm looking at this squad and thinking, I can work with that. Heck, I could be a bloody hero. 

That depends.

Would you be prepared to sign a 5 year contract, and how is your knee?

3 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

:lol:

I could only imagine your under 10's team talk. :P

I wouldnt make that mistake again. The little darlings took me literally, so I had parents complaining to me about their kids going to the toilet in their lunch boxes.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

I might be wrong, but what exactly about Johnston would make you feel ALOT more comfortable?

What has he done in the game?

I don't know much about him aside from that he is Man U's 3rd or 4th choice keeper!

Mainly that he has lots of championship and league 1 experience plus the fact Man U keep renewing his contract - not saying that guarantees him being good but it's a good pedigree and also we need someone to settle in quick and he has had a lot of loan spells so is used to parachuting in some place new. 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, AJ said:

Possibly. I know you said it was the last thing you were going to say, but please, go on. Genuinely interested.

Oh don't get me wrong I'm not itk. It just never sat right with me. We didn't have to accept the offer. And he wouldn't have done all the promotional stuff unless he was happy to stay. It doesn't make sense that he would have just changed his mind with nothing else happening. We all know how bad Lerner has been with his penny pinching so it makes more sense to me that Delph was pushed. Or at least advised by the club that they were happy to sell.

1 hour ago, ender4 said:

You think there is a lack of activity because we haven't been gossiped about enough in the media before the transfer window opens?  :blink:

No it was in context with my post, stating the comments around transfers were boring as they revealed very little new, not that I expected a lot to be happening or anything to be leaked openly, but feel free to remove the context.

Edited by VillanousOne

2 minutes ago, darrenm said:

Oh don't get me wrong I'm not itk. It just never sat right with me. We didn't have to accept the offer. And he wouldn't have done all the promotional stuff unless he was happy to stay. It doesn't make sense that he would have just changed his mind with nothing else happening. We all know how bad Lerner has been with his penny pinching so it makes more sense to me that Delph was pushed. Or at least advised by the club that they were happy to sell.

To be clear, I wasnt having a go at you, I was genuinely curious, as I hadnt made that connection. I concur that Lerner has some blame to allow our captain to leave so easily immediately after signing a new contract with us.

After what Delph said when signing the new contract, and then to sign another days later with Citeh, the bridges are burnt. Tony may be able to afford Delph, and yes, he is a good player, but no matter the cost in wages and or transfer fee, it would pale in comparison to the cost to Villa's dignity.

He is a snake. We dont want his poison, and he has bitten us once too many times.

8 minutes ago, AJ said:

He is a snake. We dont want his poison, and he has bitten us once too many times.

It amazes me how bitter people are about Delph. I don't begrudge him at all, he could have handled the whole thing better but the same can be said about Barry when he ended up leaving.

Fwiw I'd have Delph back in a heartbeat but he's miles too good for this division. 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, villa89 said:

It amazes me how bitter people are about Delph. I don't begrudge him at all, he could have handled the whole thing better but the same can be said about Barry when he ended up leaving.

Fwiw I'd have Delph back in a heartbeat but he's miles too good for this division. 

It amazes me how easily people are willing to forget how he treated Aston Villa.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

If you can forgive Delph, then what exactly is unforgivable in football?

Bob Bradley refering the the field of play.

As for Delph, he would dramatically improve our midfield but I'd still not welcome him back.

It isn't often I'd say that but Delph really did behave very poorly and has shown zero remorse or class about it since. 

Nobody could blame him for going but his behaviour was unforgivable and I could never support him in our colours.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Jareth said:

Mainly that he has lots of championship and league 1 experience plus the fact Man U keep renewing his contract - not saying that guarantees him being good but it's a good pedigree and also we need someone to settle in quick and he has had a lot of loan spells so is used to parachuting in some place new. 

he has 22 Championship games under his belt and about 30 more in League 1, Gollini has 20 Championship games plus about 30 in Serie A

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Zatman said:

he has 22 Championship games under his belt and about 30 more in League 1, Gollini has 20 Championship games plus about 30 in Serie A

I'm looking at his stats and its 51 appearances in league 1 the majority with Preston who got promoted with him - then 23 in the championship = 74 games at our level or close to it. Gollini has only 20 games for us in the league we are in, and in those games has proven inexperienced. But everyone is free to interpret stats as they wish.