January 2017 transfer window

Jareth

We should, by rights, be an attractive option for loan signings. Many players drop down from the premier league to get game time, often to clubs with championship size grounds and fan bases. At least with Villa, they'll get to play in one of the best grounds in the country and train at BMH. 

We should be able to attract some decent premier league players that aren't getting the game time they want. I can't tell you who but they are out there and gettable. 

14 minutes ago, darrenm said:

Last thing I'm saying about Delph here but it still amazes me how many people don't think his u turn was anything to do with disgraced former chairman Randolph Lerner.

I'm sure the pay rise was a comfort

33 minutes ago, VillanousOne said:

so Pat Murphy saying we aren't in for Rhodes, we only want Jenkinson on loan, haven't finished conversations with United about Sam Johnstone and haven't decided if we are definitely flogging Gestede.

Thrilling.

I don't see the big deal, to be honest we don't NEED a striker, we need two midfielders more than anything else, preferably one on loan and one permanently. Right back would be good too but anything else is a bonus IMO.

I really liked what he said re just signing strikers because of AFCON for 5 weeks.

We have 6 in the squad, even if "Gabby" et all is not rated, that leaves us with McCormack, Gestede, Kozak, RHM, Gabby.

We have decent attacking mids, we just need the solid link and box to box movement to allow the strikers to attack!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, VillanousOne said:

so Pat Murphy saying we aren't in for Rhodes, we only want Jenkinson on loan, haven't finished conversations with United about Sam Johnstone and haven't decided if we are definitely flogging Gestede.

Thrilling.

I would be surprised / disappointed if we didn't see at least 1 CM come in. It's the weakest part of the squad by a mile.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, jacketspuds said:

I would be surprised / disappointed if we didn't see at least 1 CM come in. It's the weakest part of the squad by a mile.

If we don't get at least one decent CM in this window I won't be watching any games for the rest of the season. It's not a threat, it's just blindingly clear that we won't make the play-offs with this midfield so there'd be no point.

That said, I am 100% sure Xia and Bruce are doing their utmost to bring in reinforcements for that position.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

I don't see the big deal, to be honest we don't NEED a striker, we need two midfielders more than anything else, preferably one on loan and one permanently. Right back would be good too but anything else is a bonus IMO.

I really liked what he said re just signing strikers because of AFCON for 5 weeks.

We have 6 in the squad, even if "Gabby" et all is not rated, that leaves us with McCormack, Gestede, Kozak, RHM, Gabby.

We have decent attacking mids, we just need the solid link and box to box movement to allow the strikers to attack!

My comment was more on the lack of activity rather than not signing Rhodes.

selling Gestede makes sense if we need to free up squad places for midfielders.

not sure I see a huge difference between Johnstone and Gollini, both massively inexperienced 

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, VillanousOne said:

Pay Murphy knows things, but he doesn't know everything. 

I wouldn't worry. To not sign a couple of midfielders this January would be negligent and I don't have Bruce (or Xia) down as that. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, darrenm said:

Last thing I'm saying about Delph here but it still amazes me how many people don't think his u turn was anything to do with disgraced former chairman Randolph Lerner.

Whatever the reasons - I believe him to be a good player who would bring something to our midfield which is clearly for all to see lacking. I say do it!

GK (loan)

RB

3x CM (2 perm and 1 loan)

LW

ST

Johnstone for GK? Don't know much about him but seems to be in the bag?

No idea on RB (edit: Jenkinson on loan maybe)

Matty James on loan and maybe that chap from Barnsley and then an animal like Cattermole or a similar type of player. Would like Will Hughes or Joey Barton but can't see it happening

Brady for LW

Hogan or Rhodes up front 

Edited by Xela

57 minutes ago, VillanousOne said:

selling Gestede makes sense if we need to free up squad places for midfielders.

not sure I see a huge difference between Johnstone and Gollini, both massively inexperienced 

I agree on Gollini and Johnstone. I posted a while ago that to me it just seems like he is Gary Walsh's version of Gollini. If going for a keeper I thought we would be better served going for experience.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Phumfeinz said:

If we don't get at least one decent CM in this window I won't be watching any games for the rest of the season. It's not a threat, it's just blindingly clear that we won't make the play-offs with this midfield so there'd be no point.

That said, I am 100% sure Xia and Bruce are doing their utmost to bring in reinforcements for that position.

I agree with you 

1 minute ago, Xela said:

GK (loan)

RB

3x CM (2 perm and 1 loan)

LW

ST

Johnstone for GK? Don't know much about him but seems to be in the bag?

No idea on RB (edit: Jenkinson on loan maybe)

Matty James on loan and maybe that chap from Barnsley and then an animal like Cattermole or a similar type of player. Would like Will Hughes or Joey Barton but can't see it happening

Brady for LW

Hogan or Rhodes up front 

Cattermole - yes I like the sound of that- should be an England footballer- unfortunately like Barton his reputation goes way before him- but he can play a bit- he's not just the hod carrier that many like to cast him as.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Dave J said:

Cattermole - yes I like the sound of that- should be an England footballer- unfortunately like Barton his reputation goes way before him- but he can play a bit- he's not just the hod carrier that many like to cast him as.

Bruce signed him at Wigan and Sunderland I believe, so he rates him

Not sure how gettable he is? 

I think that our shopping list should entirely depend on what sort of system Bruce wants to work with for the rest of the season. If he's after a 433-come-451 type affair, with two forwards dropping back to support the midfield, then I think we need two new midfielders (a thug, like a Cattermole, to hold, alongside metronome like Drinkwater to recycle the ball and distribute across the front three and retain possession, with someone like Grealish to drift about and find space as the third. This would leave Jedinak and Westwood/Gardner benched...).

However if it is more of a 442 approach then I think proper wingers are more important - Adomah is okay, but I'm not sold in his end product, but we need one the other side too. There's also the need for a better right back in this system as Hutton isn't the greatest but is a solid back up (unless De Laet makes a miraculous recovery anyway). 

Strikers and CBs seem alright for me - especially if RHM signs on the line and kicks Gabby out the team. Suliman could be recalled if needed for cover too. If Gestede and/or Kozak disappeared it wouldn't be the end of the world. 

I would be happy to see Gollini back in goal, because Bunn is like watching a carrier bag caught in a tree during a breeze, so a better seasoned pro on the bench would be good, but I genuinely don't think this should be a priority when the midfield has been the problem for the best part of a decade now, if not longer, and a string of managers haven't bothered to try and fix it.