Steve Bruce

Demitri_C

You watch gabby or at least Hogan come back in when fit and revert back to the losing style. For me the win gives the owners a little more time to find a decent manager and get rid of this dinosaur. As some guys are saying, yesterday's win was down to 'luck' with a few players out injured/not fit, he had no choice but to play Green and Davis, an change the tactics.

All I can say is "Bruce, you lucky barsteward!!!!

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, macandally said:

The best thing for me about yesterday, was that any prospective Manager watching that will know that without spending money, he has a team that with a little bit of common sense and coaching can win this league.

It also showed how useless Bruce has been for 10 months, when he "stumbles" on playing players in the right positions!

I think your right here, which is worrying.

4 minutes ago, dudevillaisnice said:

His comments after the game had a bit of Big Sam cupping his ears to the West Ham fans about it. Less moaning and trying to win one over the fans Bruce, it is after all one win after a horrid start. 

The fans were quite clearly behind him at the ground yesterday.

Thinking of it Norwich actually played right into Bruce's tactics, although I doubt whether intentional by Bruce. All games this season we have started brightly, just not been able to capitalise. Norwich by swapping sides and making us attack the Holte first, meant that the noise in the ground lifted when we started brightly, the players responded to this and continued attacking. 

There are plenty of things to be critical of Steve Bruce about, there's no need for such abstract critiques. If he's solely responsible when we lose, then he's also responsible when we win, otherwise that seems very unfair.

I doubt SB ever sits there and thinks 'how can we set out to lose this one' obviously he's trying to win football games and yesterday he did. I didn't enjoy vs cardiff as much as anyone, it was diabolical, but if that was Bruce's fault, why isn't it down to him when we play better?

It can't be tactical naivety when we lose and sheer luck when we win... 

If you don't like the manager, then fine, just say so, but don't make up stuff.

Edited by alreadyexists
  • Like 2

47 minutes ago, alreadyexists said:

There are plenty of things to be critical of Steve Bruce about, there's no need for such abstract critiques. If he's solely responsible when we lose, then he's also responsible when we win, otherwise that seems very unfair.

I doubt SB ever sits there and thinks 'how can we set out to lose this one' obviously he's trying to win football games and yesterday he did. I didn't enjoy vs cardiff as much as anyone, it was diabolical, but if that was Bruce's fault, why isn't it down to him when we play better?

There was no doubt he was pushed to make the changes yesterday, especially without Hogan. Would he have made the changes had Hogan an gabby been available, I very much doubt . It was down to luck yesterday, he obviously didn't realise Davis's attributes until yesterday, or else he would have been playing him, at least as a sub.

If he don't start him next game, your theory will be blown out of the water.

• Like 1

Bruce said himself the team selection was forced on him due to hogan not being fully fit and gabby out - no doubt Davis wouldn't have started otherwise - the key is now that we have a found a system that fits we need to continue and build from here .

• Like 1

1 hour ago, alreadyexists said:

ANSWER

7 minutes ago, Eastie said:

Bruce said himself the team selection was forced on him due to hogan not being fully fit and gabby out - no doubt Davis wouldn't have started otherwise - the key is now that we have a found a system that fits we need to continue and build from here .

I'll even raise by saying Hourihane was being brought back in because he was running out of ideas, it all clicked yesterday so fair play.

He finally close to did what some of us us "armchair fans" could see needed to be done some time ago.

We are not Managers.

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, alreadyexists said:

Full credit for the win. 

But the question marks over if Davis had played or if hourihane would have played had Bacuna not gone, are fair when questioning the consistency of these results and if Bruce will maintain it. 

It worries me that the decisions that won us the game have been kind of forced upon him. It doesn't provide much faith that he will start making right decisions week in week out. 

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

Full credit for the win. 

But the question marks over if Davis had played or if hourihane would have played had Bacuna not gone, are fair when questioning the consistency of these results and if Bruce will maintain it. 

It worries me that the decisions that won us the game have been kind of forced upon him. It doesn't provide much faith that he will start making right decisions week in week out. 

It worries me too, definitely. What I mean is that you can't have I both ways. Injuries force selections, there's no doubt about that, but to imply that when we lose it's one man's fault and when we win it's in spite of him is unfair. 

The way some people paint it, it's as though when we lost the players listen to his every word and every miskick is down to him, but when we won he had nothing to do with it.

Edited by alreadyexists

41 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

There was no doubt he was pushed to make the changes yesterday, especially without Hogan. Would he have made the changes had Hogan an gabby been available, I very much doubt . It was down to luck yesterday, he obviously didn't realise Davis's attributes until yesterday, or else he would have been playing him, at least as a sub.

If he don't start him next game, your theory will be blown out of the water.

What theory? I am theory-less, I was just advocating fairness. Bruce can't be to blame for everything negative but blameless for the positive elements. It's a very binary way of looking at things. 

Not having a go at anyone though, so apols if it came across that way. 

27 minutes ago, alreadyexists said:

It worries me too, definitely. What I mean is that you can't have I both ways. Injuries force selections, there's no doubt about that, but to imply that when we lose it's one man's fault and when we win it's in spite of him is unfair. 

The way some people paint it, it's as though when we lost the players listen to his every word and every miskick is down to him, but when we won he had nothing to do with it.

I'm not saying it's in spite of him, this is his squad and he's used it. 

I just think it's completely fair to have concerns about how consistent these results will be. 

Edited by DCJonah

6 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

I'm saying it's in spite of him, this is his squad and he's used it. 

I just think it's completely fair to have concerns about how consistent these results will be. 

Totally fair, I have the same concerns :) 

Bewildered Bruce admitted he had "his hand forced" with his team selection, and then Villa won a game despite Hutton's usual attempts to throw the match away and just 37% possession of the football at home.

How?

We actually played a couple of key players in their correct positions and let them attack the oppositions goal with a bit of support so they could do what they're best at. Usually we play players out of their best positions and make them sit back negatively while praying for a lucky break.

Yesterday reinforced my opinion that Bruce's preferred method of football and setting a team up is the single biggest reason why we are struggling.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, villabromsgrove said:

Yesterday reinforced my opinion that Bruce's preferred method of football and setting a team up is the single biggest reason why we are struggling.

Which i why i left VP yesterday more convinced than ever that Bruce needs to go. 

He rolled the dice yesterday knowing defeat would cost him his job. He will soon revert back to his negative ways, its what he had always done. One result isn't going to change a philosophy that he's held for the last 20yrs. 

Â