Steve Bruce

Demitri_C

1 minute ago, Demitri_C said:

Did adomah really say that? I don't wanna be hearing that kind of attitude from villa players.  

Yes, it was around the time when he last scored and had an assist at VP.

no I don't.....but thats why i think this job is no where near finished.....it will take some time imo.

1 hour ago, DCJonah said:

My old man's website (not my actual dad) have a good article on Bruce. Very hard to disagree with it. 

I don't get the faith in him to deliver at all. 

Presumably this is if you want Bruce gone/don't have faith in him... otherwise probably easy to disagree with it?

3 minutes ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

He has done very little here to warrant any sort of 'faith' that he's the right man for the job, so those who do have faith in him presumably are basing it largely on his record at previous clubs, which IMO is a fairly flawed variable.  

It's arguably a bigger indicator of what is likely than a less-than-one-season stretch at Villa.

I don't enjoy the way we play and would rather have a manager who played more attractive, attacking football (as I've said many times before) but, at the same time, I do have "faith" that Bruce will have us playing as a better team next season.  He knows what's needed and has the summer to work on it.  Whether it will be enough to get us promoted, who knows.

I think most fans underplay how important that pre-season period is - or, rather, the difficulties that can be involved without it, though.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, bobzy said:

It's arguably a bigger indicator of what is likely than a less-than-one-season stretch at Villa.

I don't enjoy the way we play and would rather have a manager who played more attractive, attacking football (as I've said many times before) but, at the same time, I do have "faith" that Bruce will have us playing as a better team next season.  He knows what's needed and has the summer to work on it.  Whether it will be enough to get us promoted, who knows.

I think most fans underplay how important that pre-season period is - or, rather, the difficulties that can be involved without it, though.

Preseason is the only shining light for me. Look at how Fulham have faired this year after a crap finish last season. There's a few who've kicked on massively because they've had a full preseason Huddersfield another example. Bruce has shown nothing so far so let's hope this preseason he gets us going.  

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Spoony said:

"We need a twenty goal a season striker"

"Why does or our striker score all the goals! Where would we be without him??"

You sign a twenty goal a season striker to score goals! Where would we be without him? In the market for a twenty goal a season striker!

I agree all teams need/desire a twenty goal a season striker. However once and if they find this elusive chap, they surely don't put their feet up and think, that's the goals sorted then. In order to be successful a team does indeed need a twenty goal striker, the last time we had one (league goals) was 1981 and look what happened then. However that team had goals all over the pitch a team that doesn't do that wins nowt. Not even promotion.

4 hours ago, bobzy said:

Presumably this is if you want Bruce gone/don't have faith in him... otherwise probably easy to disagree with it?

Maybe some. 

I thought the parts analysing his time at Sunderland and his four promotions raised some interesting points that I think would be hard to really dismiss without being totally biased. 

• Like 1

Good article on Jokanovic in the Guardian today, progressive manner and seems to be the antithesis of Bruce.  Wants to dominate play, knows he has to modify approach based on players, leagues and countries.

Instead we are stuck with our one trick pony, turning Villa into dour, defensive bores who hopefully will grind out a result as long as Kodgia scores.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2017/may/09/slavisa-jokanovic-fulham-never-satisfied?CMP=share_btn_link

A gaggle of boys from a local school attending a session at Fulham’s training ground had a surprise as they snaked along the side of one of the pitches. The imposing presence of Slavisa Jokanovic was right there. One of the boys plucked up the courage to break out of the snake to shake the Fulham manager by the hand. Both man and boy looked genuinely pleased. Popularity is not a particular motivation for Jokanovic in itself, but he appreciates that it is a by-product of a far more important matter: delivering results.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lerner's Driver said:

Bruce Almighty... Blah

Bruce the try hard luddite... Blah

The more I hear the same arguments repeated endlessly, the more I pray Trump flicks the switch.

Honest if at times repetitive debate or armageddon. I can see this one going on longer than the Bruce in or out debate.....

1 hour ago, macandally said:

Good article on Jokanovic in the Guardian today, progressive manner and seems to be the antithesis of Bruce.  Wants to dominate play, knows he has to modify approach based on players, leagues and countries.

Instead we are stuck with our one trick pony, turning Villa into dour, defensive bores who hopefully will grind out a result as long as Kodgia scores.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2017/may/09/slavisa-jokanovic-fulham-never-satisfied?CMP=share_btn_link

I'm sure Hogan and our CM's/Grealish would score for fun under a progressive manager like him.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, bobzy said:

My issue I think is that I wonder why people feel that he will suddenly start to play more expansive football next year? For me a managers style of play is in the DNA- I except that there was a brief period when tin hats were called for, however there were also many times when he could have adopted a more flamboyant style so on this basis I am not convinced and would cut my loses now

On 2017-5-8 at 19:58, TRO said:

I had to redevelop my garden in my new house 18 months ago......The Mrs knows what she is doing in terms of horticulture and planted merrily.

My Daughter come round unimpressed and accused my mrs of NOT knowing what she is doing....." it doesn't look very good ,was her retort.".....my Mrs said " she Ain't got a clue how long these things take" and laughed.

Plants can't talk but like football players they develop.....and they develop at their rate not ours.....you can talk to a player, but it might not sink in.

The daughter came round the other day and said OMG your garden looks beautiful, what have you done different.....My wife said " Nothing, it was done last year, dear....you know when you said I did'nt know what I was doing.....what do you think now"

But what if your daughter was right all along? You wait 12 months and the garden still looks like shit. 

We haven't got time to simply wait and see. If we don't go up next season it will be terminal. 

I've never rated Steve Bruce and didn't want him here from the beginning. Nor did I want Tim Sherwood, Remi Garde or RDM. Although a more progressive and expansive manager would be nice I honestly don't think it would solve our problems. Had we appointed Jokanovic, Wagner or Dean Smith from the start of the season I really don't think we'd have done any better than we have under Steve Bruce. I'm not sure what our problem is exactly but I do know if we had a top quality manager or a manager with certain qualities we can fix it but that manager isn't Steve Bruce, Jokanovic or most other managers from within the Championship.

Edited by Michael118

8 hours ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

He has done very little here to warrant any sort of 'faith' that he's the right man for the job, so those who do have faith in him presumably are basing it largely on his record at previous clubs, which IMO is a fairly flawed variable.  

I agree, If you look at his record in the premier league it's not impressive and none of the teams he manages ever really play any decent football. The part of his record that I think people are focusing on is his record for promotions but I won't take that in isolation. I think you have to look at his whole career and, for me, it's not something to make me optimistic. 

Edited by villa89
  • Like 4

9 hours ago, bobzy said:

It makes some very valid points about him as a manager, unfortunately he will be given time we cannot afford and more money to waste which makes the next Gus job even harder.....

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Michael118 said:

I've never rated Steve Bruce and didn't want him here from the beginning. Nor did I want Tim Sherwood, Remi Garde or RDM. Although a more progressive and expansive manager would be nice I honestly don't think it would solve our problems. Had we appointed Jokanovic, Wagner or Dean Smith from the start of the season I really don't think we'd have done any better than we have under Steve Bruce. I'm not sure what our problem is exactly but I do know if we had a top quality manager or a manager with certain qualities we can fix it but that manager isn't Steve Bruce, Jokanovic or most other managers from within the Championship.

So why are other struggling teams able to come from relegation strugglers to playoff hopefuls like Fulham, Huddersfield with said managers? I'm not saying those managers are the answer, just a conundrum why other clubs can do it but not Aston Villa? 

1 minute ago, mykeyb said:

It makes some very valid points about him as a manager, unfortunately he will be given time we cannot afford and more money to waste which makes the next Gus job even harder.....

A hint to our next manager?? POYET!! 

1 minute ago, Mjvilla said:

So why are other struggling teams able to come from relegation strugglers to playoff hopefuls like Fulham, Huddersfield with said managers? I'm not saying those managers are the answer, just a conundrum why other clubs can do it but not Aston Villa? 

Why do players like Gueye, Clark, Westwood automatically look 100 times better when they move clubs? It's the same reason I think.

Â