Steve Bruce

Demitri_C

7 hours ago, macandally said:

Good article on Jokanovic in the Guardian today, progressive manner and seems to be the antithesis of Bruce.  Wants to dominate play, knows he has to modify approach based on players, leagues and countries.

Instead we are stuck with our one trick pony, turning Villa into dour, defensive bores who hopefully will grind out a result as long as Kodgia scores.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2017/may/09/slavisa-jokanovic-fulham-never-satisfied?CMP=share_btn_link

This would be the Jankovic who in the 2015/6 season managed a princely 1.13 points per game with Fulham and avoided relegation by a whisker?

Lucky then that the Fulham management and fans stuck with him and gave him a chance to have a full season to see what he could achieve! Maybe they were swayed by his previous track record of success in getting Watford promoted despite his poor first spell with Fulham? ;)

• Like 3

5 hours ago, briny_ear said:

This would be the Jankovic who in the 2015/6 season managed a princely 1.13 points per game with Fulham and avoided relegation by a whisker?

Lucky then that the Fulham management and fans stuck with him and gave him a chance to have a full season to see what he could achieve! Maybe they were swayed by his previous track record of success in getting Watford promoted despite his poor first spell with Fulham? ;)

There's a difference between picking the right man and sticking with him and picking the wrong man and sticking with him. Perhaps Fulham saw what he was trying to achieve, I don't know since I don't follow Fulham. Hindsight and all that. 

• Like 2

14 hours ago, macandally said:

Good article on Jokanovic in the Guardian today, progressive manner and seems to be the antithesis of Bruce.  Wants to dominate play, knows he has to modify approach based on players, leagues and countries.

Instead we are stuck with our one trick pony, turning Villa into dour, defensive bores who hopefully will grind out a result as long as Kodgia scores.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2017/may/09/slavisa-jokanovic-fulham-never-satisfied?CMP=share_btn_link

Regardless of views on Bruce I'm always staggered at how 'flavour of the month' articles like this are regularly raised. Over the last ten years you could find them about practically every Manager you can think of ( and, more relevantly many more now forgotten !) who has a good run with a Club.

The particularly cringeworthy ones are those like these that attribute almost mythically  clever ideas to guys who are really just doing what loads of others are doing but just happen to be clicking at a given period in time.

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, terrytini said:

Regardless of views on Bruce I'm always staggered at how 'flavour of the month' articles like this are regularly raised. Over the last ten years you could find them about practically every Manager you can think of ( and, more relevantly many more now forgotten !) who has a good run with a Club.

The particularly cringeworthy ones are those like these that attribute almost mythically  clever ideas to guys who are really just doing what loads of others are doing but just happen to be clicking at a given period in time.

Maybe it comes down to what you want Aston Villa to be?  We have brought in Steve Round to define what the Aston Villa "way" will be, I cannot imagine his vision is the way we have played this year?

13th is unacceptable for a club this size who invested £77m.  It wouldn't be so painful if you could see the emergence of a footballing philosophy, I would be amazed if anyone would argue that has been the case this year.  Jokanovic is the "type" of Manager that can implement a style, so was Garde (let go too soon) and arguably RDM (it apparently is unfair to get rid of Bruce due to the size of the mess we are in, but RDm after 10 games is OK?). 

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, macandally said:

Maybe it comes down to what you want Aston Villa to be?  We have brought in Steve Round to define what the Aston Villa "way" will be, I cannot imagine his vision is the way we have played this year?

13th is unacceptable for a club this size who invested £77m.  It wouldn't be so painful if you could see the emergence of a footballing philosophy, I would be amazed if anyone would argue that has been the case this year.  Jokanovic is the "type" of Manager that can implement a style, so was Garde (let go too soon) and arguably RDM (it apparently is unfair to get rid of Bruce due to the size of the mess we are in, but RDm after 10 games is OK?). 

Your points are one thing. The issue of how much we've spent and what it 'should' mean are a whole debate in themselves........ but I was really just referring to how often these type of articles 'flavour of the month' articles are referred to, how often the Managers who are the subject of such articles dissappear from view and, thirdly, how the things those Managers are revered for in those articles are commonplace.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, DaveAV1 said:

There's a difference between picking the right man and sticking with him and picking the wrong man and sticking with him. Perhaps Fulham saw what he was trying to achieve, I don't know since I don't follow Fulham. Hindsight and all that. 

Maybe a bit like Manure sticking with Fergie despite his crap start because they saw his potential. Bruce however has been knocking around for 20+ years as a football manager so if he had any potential it would surely have manifested itself by now.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, pacbuddies said:

Maybe a bit like Manure sticking with Fergie despite his crap start because they saw his potential. Bruce however has been knocking around for 20+ years as a football manager so if he had any potential it would surely have manifested itself by now.

Ferguson had 12 years experience as a manager before joining Man Utd, Bruce has had 18 years before becoming Villa boss.

But sure, use dat stick.

9 minutes ago, bobzy said:

Ferguson had 12 years experience as a manager before joining Man Utd, Bruce has had 18 years before becoming Villa boss.

But sure, use dat stick.

I'm not sure Fergie's career would be a yardstick by which Steve Bruce would like to be judged!

3 hours ago, bobzy said:

But sure, use dat stick.

Not sure what your point is other than to concur that Bruce had a lot more experience (at mostly better clubs) than Ferguson did before joining Villa & Manure respectively.

37 minutes ago, The Fun Factory said:

After years of instability what Villa need is strong and stable leadership. We need to stick with Thersea May.

Vote Bruce.

Job swap or dream team? :P

Didn't Ferguson not have a hugely successful period with Aberdeen. Winning the league three times in seven years, a couple of Scottish cups  And winning a European cup.

It was obvious there was some potential there alright.  

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, heffoman said:

Didn't Ferguson not have a hugely successful period with Aberdeen. Winning the league three times in seven years, a couple of Scottish cups  And winning a European cup.

No - he was a newcomer to the football management game.

Unlike Bruce who has been a manager for 20+ years.

Oh, wait... :rolleyes:

On 5/10/2017 at 19:07, av1 said:

But what if your daughter was right all along? You wait 12 months and the garden still looks like shit. 

We haven't got time to simply wait and see. If we don't go up next season it will be terminal. 

Its not a simple case of waiting and seeing......Its believing that the right things are being done to prosper from them.

I understand that some folk don't.....but don't blame them that do......not just yet anyway, who knows, we may agree with you eventually.

22 hours ago, Michael118 said:

Why do players like Gueye, Clark, Westwood automatically look 100 times better when they move clubs? It's the same reason I think.

because they have better players around them.....not sure westwood has done much?

1 hour ago, heffoman said:

and still he had a long time before he seen the fruits of his labour.....that Robins goal was the turning point else history for Man U could have been a whole lot different.

2 hours ago, The Fun Factory said:

After years of instability what Villa need is strong and stable leadership. We need to stick with Thersea May.

Vote Bruce.

Or else we'll get a coalition of chaos, or maybe we had that already with Ray Wilkins and Tim Sherwood. 

1 minute ago, TRO said:

Its not a simple case of waiting and seeing......Its believing that the right things are being done to prosper from them.

I understand that some folk don't.....but don't blame them that do......not just yet anyway, who knows, we may agree with you eventually.

Thats the thing mate. I respect everyones opinion, and if your opinion is that Bruce will succeed i respect that aswell. What i don't understand (and this isn't aimed at you mate, just a general observation) is the notion that time will make things better.

We all realised after about 5 mins that RDM wasn't the right man, and and if i was made manager tomorrow I'd probably be sussed as a fraud after about 6 minutes. I understand that stability is massive for this club after the last few years, but you also have to believe in the bloke you are charging that with. 

I'm not totally anti Bruce just yet, but I'm having more doubts week on week, and i just cant see him being here in 3 years. Because if we don't get out of this division next season he will be sacked. If we do get out of this division next season, imo his style of football won't work in the PL (see karanka at Middlesbrough) and he will be sacked. Because lets not forget, for all the talk of 'he knows how to get a team promoted' every season in the PL has invariably been a relegation battle.

So i don't see Bruce as a man to give us the stability we crave

Â