Steve Bruce

Demitri_C

Anyone reading this thread who didn't know the result would think we lost. 

Can't we just for one day be bloody Villa supporters and not sky pundit wannabes. 

We won against the scum. The most important game we play (outside of obvious cup finals, playoffs etc) and we choose to pick at Steve Bruce today. 

Ill cop a barrage for this but so be it. If you can't enjoy today I honestly question you as a true Villa supporter. 

Cue the long paragraphs full of facts of how crap Bruce is. Go for it I'm logging out of VT for 24 hours and basking in the winning feeling. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, briny_ear said:

I've missed that one.

Where's the evidence he's planning on  another big change?

He did say recently thIngs wIll be faIrly quite In the summer with nowhere near the turnaround iN players as in recent windows but yesterday he commented that he will be very busy in the summer so seems to be covering all bases .

5 minutes ago, Eastie said:

He did say recently thIngs wIll be faIrly quite In the summer with nowhere near the turnaround iN players as in recent windows but yesterday he commented that he will be very busy in the summer so seems to be covering all bases .

Getting his excuses in early

8 minutes ago, striker said:

While reading some posts in the thread this morning I understand that Bruce has stated there will be yet another busy summer in the transfer market.

Previously I noted that one of the criticisms of sacking Bruce was that bringing in another manager would promote too much change yet according to Bruce that's exactly what we're going to get in the summer again, at least concerning turnover of players.

So with that in mind would it make much difference in bringing in a more progressive manager even if he wanted his own players?

I'm not calling for Bruce's head yet even though like others I'm more than a little concerned at how Villa are being set up to play but just making the point that the excuse that sacking Bruce would promote more instability is now wearing a little thin.

The trouble is, these 'progressive' managers have a habit of taking us backwards. 

1 hour ago, Grasshopper said:

Funny that all his "experience and ability" can't help him solve his own problems.

We play shit football because of him not despite him.

Funny that you're quoting "experience and ability" but it wasn't actually a quote in my post.

I'm judging him on the improvements he has made so far and his results.

Edited by briny_ear

1 minute ago, briny_ear said:

Funny that you're quoting "experience and ability" but it wasn't actually s quote in my post.

I'm judging him on the improvements he has made so far and his results.

so you've never posted something like that.

Maybe today was the first time I've ever read another posters post.

I'm probably still on cloud 9 from yesterday and an unaware of my ramblings

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

What have sherwood, Garde and black got to do with hoping we get promoted next season. 

Bruce has done better than previous managers, he's achieved some good results this year. 

But like i said, the aim is promotion and if we don't achieve it next year we could see that target become more and more difficult long term. I've seen little from Steve Bruce to make me believe we will be strong contenders next year. I don't believe that he can flip a switch in pre season and we will suddenly become a much better team. I've also seen most of his signings struggle to play in his team, so I'm also concerned that new players in the summer will have a similar fate. 

I don't hate Steve Bruce. I just don't think he's going to get us promoted next season. If our situation was different, if our long term goals didn't rely on promotion next season I'd be much more relaxed and patient with him, I'd be much more prepared to give him time to build and improve. But i don't think we're in the situation to give him much more time. 

Xia will demand promotion next year, and with the money invested he's right to. 

Bruce has improved us in terms of results. Not as much as I hoped, but improvement none the less. - not many managers have even done that in recent years.

He has a fair few promotions on his CV from this division.

For me, he has his goalkeeper choice wrong and that is having an impact on how we play.

8 minutes ago, hippo said:

The trouble is, these 'progressive' managers have a habit of taking us backwards. 

Have we actually had any progressive manager? If so who, and what made him progressive?

MON? nah

McLeish? :crylaugh:

Houllier? He did want to fundamentally change things at the club so kinda yes, he was 100 years old thou.

Lambert? Scholar of MON so nah.

Sherwood? Not actually a manager.

Garde? Hardly progressive was he, just like Sherwood he's barely even a manager. He's a coach who happened to end up managing 2 clubs.

Di Matteo? If progressive is another word for foreign then yes, I guess he is progressive. If not then I don't see what's progressive about him.

Who in this group would you call progressive, and why?

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

I went mad at the ground when Gabby scored. I had a huge beaming grin on my face as i clapped them off. I've watched the highlights over and over again. I still can't believe that it was Gabby who scored it. 

I bloody loved beating those small time words removed 

But I'm also looking past one result and what we need to achieve next year. I don't think being concerned and criticising, even after an excellent win, makes me less of a true supporter. 

Maybe a poor choice of words on my my part, as I know you are a true supporter DC. But this thread is so depressing can't we just be happy for one day. 

I swear one day we will win the CL and the performance will be picked apart. 

Edited by Villan_of_oz
PS I lasted 30 minutes into my 24 hour self imposed ban cos I love VT as much as I love Villa
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, hippo said:

Yes mate it's a fair point but maybe Villa haven't just hit on the right one yet?

If you look at Villa's recent managers what have they done since leaving Villa Park?

• Like 2

Maybe he needs to bring in another coach  to work on the attacking side  of our game as we have both Bruce and calderwood who were central defenders and clemence who was was hardly an attack minded midfielder .

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Eastie said:

Maybe he needs to bring in another coach  to work on the attacking side  of our game as we have both Bruce and calderwood who were central defenders and clemence who was was hardly an attack minded midfielder .

Since Bruce will remain for the start of next season I think this is one of the best investments we can make.

I think it could have a more positive effect than most players we might bring in.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, briny_ear said:

I've missed that one.

Where's the evidence he's planning on  another big change?

He was interviewed yesterday after the game on BBC WM and said he was planning a big summer....now I dont think he meant his holidays!

58 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

What have sherwood, Garde and black got to do with hoping we get promoted next season. 

Bruce has done better than previous managers, he's achieved some good results this year. 

But like i said, the aim is promotion and if we don't achieve it next year we could see that target become more and more difficult long term. I've seen little from Steve Bruce to make me believe we will be strong contenders next year. I don't believe that he can flip a switch in pre season and we will suddenly become a much better team. I've also seen most of his signings struggle to play in his team, so I'm also concerned that new players in the summer will have a similar fate. 

I don't hate Steve Bruce. I just don't think he's going to get us promoted next season. If our situation was different, if our long term goals didn't rely on promotion next season I'd be much more relaxed and patient with him, I'd be much more prepared to give him time to build and improve. But i don't think we're in the situation to give him much more time. 

Xia will demand promotion next year, and with the money invested he's right to. 

Because all three contributed to the mess we found ourselves in this season. It was complete and utter turmoil, RDM failed, Bruce has steadied the ship this year and got us competitive. i do agree promotion is the goal next season, no excuses.

I think its too early to say Bruce won't get it as he came after 12 games where we won game and two the following year! So I will give him the summer and a lil bit of time. However if he starts really poorly and we are not near the promotion spots after 5-6 games then maybe questions will have to be asked.  

I believe the manager has the backing of the manager and that for me for is key. I would also like to add his derbies record isnt too bad which again is key for next seaosn as these games could determine how many points we drop next year.

W 3 D 2  L 2

The other point is who do we get. People will say Wagner, but for me another gamble had one and half good seasons. I guess Monk might be  a good option but he seems to hit bad patches of form towards the end of the season. And please for the love of god not Pardew ! Other than those three who is proven at this level like Bruce is? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Villan_of_oz said:

Anyone reading this thread who didn't know the result would think we lost. 

Can't we just for one day be bloody Villa supporters and not sky pundit wannabes. 

We won against the scum. The most important game we play (outside of obvious cup finals, playoffs etc) and we choose to pick at Steve Bruce today. 

Ill cop a barrage for this but so be it. If you can't enjoy today I honestly question you as a true Villa supporter. 

Cue the long paragraphs full of facts of how crap Bruce is. Go for it I'm logging out of VT for 24 hours and basking in the winning feeling. 

I don't get why everything has to be so black and white on here.  We beat Blues 1-0, which is great.  We managed 4 shots (1 on target) against arguably the worst team in the division, which is terrible.  But we won.

I've said before that Steve Bruce shouldn't be sacked.  Overall, results-wise (which is all that really matters for a manager and the board) he's done an alright job.  However, I don't enjoy watching Villa play anymore.  Much of the excitement is gone due to the way we setup.

So, why can't I both enjoy the result but hate the way we play?  How does this make me not a "true Villa supporter"?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, sne said:

Have we actually had any progressive manager? If so who, and what made him progressive?

MON? nah

McLeish? :crylaugh:

Houllier? He did want to fundamentally change things at the club so kinda yes, he was 100 years old thou.

Lambert? Scholar of MON so nah.

Sherwood? Not actually a manager.

Garde? Hardly progressive was he, just like Sherwood he's barely even a manager. He's a coach who happened to end up managing 2 clubs.

Di Matteo? If progressive is another word for foreign then yes, I guess he is progressive. If not then I don't see what's progressive about him.

Who in this group would you call progressive, and why?

Ironically, as you have pointed out, the most "Progressive" manager we had was by far the OLDEST!!!!!!!!!!

• Like 1

Â