Steve Bruce

Demitri_C

16 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

It's like if someone found their dream home and immediately sold their current home to buy it. On the face of it, yeah anybody would do the same if the opportunity arose.

Except when this person sold their home, they evicted the current tenants of the home with zero notice and put them on the street.

When people point out "wow, they're such an asshole for doing that"..."yeah but anybody would have sold their home to buy that house" is not a defence at all. 

Doesn't really work, does it?

In football, there is a 100% chance that their will be a new manager, and Steve Bruce is apparently awful.

So yes, Steve Bruce may have evicted them, but given how crap he supposedly is, the odds are they're likely to land in a much better home.

Does this make Villa a vile club, for being selfish, and for kicking him out of his last home?

5 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

Well damn, I didn't think to consider there might be some moral disagreements with that hypothetical scenario. Just assume for arguments sake that this situation takes place in a world where evicting tenants with no notice is universally considered a dick move, since in this world it evidently isn't.

Zero notice, where have you been for the past week?

Just now, kurtsimonw said:

Doesn't really work, does it?

In football, there is a 100% chance that their will be a new manager, and Steve Bruce is apparently awful.

So yes, Steve Bruce may have evicted them, but given how crap he supposedly is, the odds are they're likely to land in a much better home.

Does this make Villa a vile club, for being selfish, and for kicking him out of his last home?

It wasn't meant to be a 1:1 comparison. The point was that it wasn't the selling of the home in itself that made him an asshole, but the way he went about doing it.

Graham Potter and Frank Lampard also sold their homes to buy their dream home. But let's say in this scenario they gave the tenants 3 months notice. In the end, the tenants bore no ill will towards them and understood that they're moving to pastures new. Part of life. Meanwhile, Bruce's tenants are furious and rightly so. 

Again, this isn't supposed to be 1:1...and 3 months notice doesn't literally mean that they gave their clubs 3 months notice before they left. It just means they handled the whole situation much better.

Villa fans in this scenario are Bruce's former tenants who he treated like shit. He didn't evict them, but he was generally nasty towards them. Now, watching this situation unfold they're telling their families "see, told you he was an asshole". 

7 hours ago, Stuartc445 said:

Love this thread though it's comedy gold.

Comments so far:

If Bruce had any class he'd quit and not hold out for compo.

2 days later Bruce resigns

Bruce is classless for resigning should have waited so wednesday got money he's a word removed.

So people say if he had class he'd resign but then when he resigns say he's classless.

Like i said comedy gold 😂😂😂😂

This post is nearly as comical as Bruce's team selections and coaching ability. 

Nearly. 

5 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

Zero notice, where have you been for the past week?

It's not a 1:1 comparison. The overall point I was making is that evicting someone with zero notice is generally not something a "nice guy" would do, not that Steve Bruce literally gave Wednesday zero notice. It's just an example. 

5 hours ago, bobzy said:

So it's pretty much unavoidable, he should absolutely do it, but he's classless because of it?. However, when Frank Lampard does it, it's fine.

I think we're done :D

You've mentioned lampard and smith in this thread. 

Strange that brentford fans and derby fans are nowhere near as angry as sheff weds fans. 

No either sheff weds fans are lunatics or the comparisons made in this thread aren't the same. 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, DCJonah said:

You've mentioned lampard and smith in this thread. 

Strange that brentford fans and derby fans are nowhere near as angry as sheff weds fans. 

No either sheff weds fans are lunatics or the comparisons made in this thread aren't the same. 

Either Derby, Stoke and Brentford fans are especially forgiving and saintly fans or Sheffield Wednesday fans are especially nasty fans. Those are the only possible explanations if we were to follow the logic that all of those scenarios are exactly the same.

Or, and I'm just spitballing here, the circumstances of the departures of those managers are completely different which is why the reactions are also different.

• Thanks 1

How many days notice is fair notice - Lampard barely gave Derby any notice.

Okay maybe my example was a little to close to what's going on here :lol: . It was meant to be a very broad analogy.

Notice in this hypothetical scenario is a metaphor that's supposed to represent either an amicable way to handle the situation, or a terrible way to do it. It's not meant to draw a direct parallel with the managers and the notice they give their respective clubs.

Derby knew that Lampard was leaving all summer, they knew there was a chance of it happening even before season had ended, that's why they were able to appoint Phillip Cocu as soon as he joined Chelsea.

How many times have Villa fans been pissed off with a manager/player who wanted to leave, and we didn't rate them, and were angry about it?

So if the Wednesday fans views are the absolute gospel of football, surely it suggests they rate Bruce, and in turn, makes him a good manager?

When was the last time we had a manager that left of his own accord?

Taylor to England?

And delph signing a new deal and then leaving is as close an example as I think you can get to Bruce leaving Wednesday, thats the find of fashion he's leaving (delph is worse)

50 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

I just don't see it as being any worse than anything else that happens in football these days - i.e. I don't see the need to single it/him out beyond the fact that certain people cannot contain their contempt for the man based on what they think they know.

It's shit, it was shit when O'Neill did it to us (in far worse circumstances I'll add), it's shit that Neymar has told PSG he wants out, it's shit that Nakamba is on strike trying to force a move.

I just don't see the need for the hyperbole.

You see, it's possible to consider something shit without going OTT to make a point.

Hahahahaha

Every so often when you take the morale high ground when defending Bruce, I think its worth reminding everyone of the very first post YOU made on this thread. 

It had these gems, which are pretty much what you criticise. At least people posting now have suffered through his time here. When you had a go at him he had done nothing.

"I don't personally like Steve Bruce and never have "

"I wondered 6 months ago how low we could sink and the answer, it seems, is boundless"

MON walked out.

Most people just blamed Lerner.

pretty sure MON is as hated as Bruce by Villa fans. Only others I can think of that Villa fans had an issue with was Yorke, Delph, Downing and Barry though think Barry has won fans back over time

• Like 1

I still remember Bruce's first full season in charge, and we got off to a bad start and questions were being asked, and his excuse was that he thinks the fans got carried away with the signing of Terry. He was the one who said that Terry was the final piece in the jigsaw (or words to that affect), and the best signing in the championship.

Â