Steve Bruce

Demitri_C

Where does this idea that people "support Bruce no matter what" come from?

I supported Bruce as Villa manager... but I wasn't exactly delighted with the appointment, I didn't expect the football to be enjoyable - and it wasn't. I wasn't convinced he'd take us up. I think he's very limited as a manager, and I believed the decision to let him go was correct.

But message boards are for debate. If I disagree with something, especially when it's hyperbole, then why wouldn't I post my view? I don't think he left Sheff Wed in the right way, but he would have been criticised regardless of how he left the club. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, kurtsimonw said:

I supported Bruce as Villa manager... but I wasn't exactly delighted with the appointment, I didn't expect the football to be enjoyable - and it wasn't. I wasn't convinced he'd take us up. I think he's very limited as a manager, and I believed the decision to let him go was correct.

But message boards are for debate. If I disagree with something, especially when it's hyperbole, then why wouldn't I post my view? I don't think he left Sheff Wed in the right way, but he would have been criticised regardless of how he left the club. 

Because life is binary for some.

You either call him a cabbage, kebab, moron etc or you love him.

No room for a balanced view.

Edited by bannedfromHandV
  • Like 4

Just now, Tomaszk said:

Head coach?

According to the Newcastle fans he's not going to have any say about transfers and such stuff.

Bit strange perhaps but he hasn't been much of a hands on coach during the latter part of his coaching career, or so the rumor goes anyway.

1 minute ago, RadioTom said:

Sensible question: shall I send some cabbage seeds to all of my Newcastle supporting colleagues, or is it a bit too subtle? 

They will want him out long before the cabbages have time to grow from seeds. Send them fully grown cabbages!

50 minutes ago, blandy said:

There are often two alternatives a manager does when he takes over. The first is typically "they aren't fit enough" type thing, the second alternative is "This is a good squad/I've been surprised at how good the players are" type approach - each of these they do to send a message to the players, to the supporters and also to be respectful of whoever the previous manager was.  The aim is to add a bit of additional competitive motivation to the players (train harder, work harder), to give a struggling squad a bit of a confidence boost (they're much better than people say, they can still succeed this season) and to kind of imply to the fans that the new manager has a plan as to how to "rectify" the current struggles.

But basically, managers never come in and say "the squad is useless, the last manager was useless, the fans were right to lob vegetables" - these early press lines are ultimately meaningless.

If/when some success is ultimately achieved, most managers are magnanimous and tend to give credit to their staff, the players they inherited...etc.

That all makes sense Pete.....However, I don't think Dean plays to the audience, like some managers, I think he speaks from the Heart.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Richard Keys just tweeted his support, he's delighted

it seems british coaching is making a bit of a comeback, Newcastle couldn't have chosen any better

Maybe, just Maybe.....He has seen the reaction to Dean Smith and Chris Wilder from the fans and thought, I need to get back to my roots too.

23 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Richard Keys just tweeted his support, he's delighted

it seems british coaching is making a bit of a comeback, Newcastle couldn't have chosen any better

which one of his secretaries sent it?🤣

44 minutes ago, kurtsimonw said:

haha.... but thats a balanced view.....it don't count.

8 minutes ago, TRO said:

I don't think Dean plays to the audience, like some managers, I think he speaks from the Heart.

Yeah, I agree. He comes across as confident in what he's saying and as honest, but also as someone who is well aware of the power of words.. 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, WhatAboutTheFinish said:

BBC

First day! :crylaugh::hooray:

So Steve, what are you thoughts on the squad? With the history of Newcastle, the demand of the fans, and the attacking football they were built on in the 90s and early 2000s how do you intend to play? Will you look to give the fans the glory days of free flowing, counter attacking football back St James Park? How do you envisage the side and style you plan to implement?

"Well wor gonna run more than the oppo that's a given and wor take it from there."

**** you, Bruce.
It's time to get out of management, Bruce.
What were you even doing there in the first place, Bruce?
You didn't even get properly promoted, Bruce.
Are you happy now, Bruce?
**** you, Bruce!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, fightoffyour said:

**** you, Bruce.
It's time to get out of management, Bruce.
What were you even doing there in the first place, Bruce?
You didn't even get properly promoted, Bruce.
Are you happy now, Bruce?
**** you, Bruce!

I read that in Rick from the Young Ones voice 😁

• Haha 2

Â