Steve Bruce

Demitri_C

15 minutes ago, kurtsimonw said:

How many times have Villa fans been pissed off with a manager/player who wanted to leave, and we didn't rate them, and were angry about it?

So if the Wednesday fans views are the absolute gospel of football, surely it suggests they rate Bruce, and in turn, makes him a good manager?

They're not angry for no reason.

As a very recent example, they weren't anywhere near as angry when Carlos Carvajal left them a couple of years ago to join Swansea in the PL.

Like MON for example still hasn't been forgiven by Villa fans for leaving us in preseason almost 10 years later. I can't think of anyone on here who views him in a favourable light today. 

Which is why this defence of Bruce is so odd to me. MON has never slagged off the fans, but he's still widely regarded as a being an asshole. Bruce literally calls us hysterical and mentally deficient in public, but for some reason pointing out that he's an asshole for the way he's left Wednesday is poor form. Just bizarre.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

Hahahahaha

Every so often when you take the morale high ground when defending Bruce, I think its worth reminding everyone of the very first post YOU made on this thread. 

It had these gems, which are pretty much what you criticise. At least people posting now have suffered through his time here. When you had a go at him he had done nothing.

"I don't personally like Steve Bruce and never have "

"I wondered 6 months ago how low we could sink and the answer, it seems, is boundless"

Wow man, you truly are obsessed but I guess I’ll take it as a compliment, until I see you in the bushes outside my house that is.......

Yep, I totally did not want him here, thought he was awful and would be awful - all based off nothing much more than perception at that point having not ever experienced him as Manager or my club.

But he did an okay job, not the best and not the worst and it’s fair to say I have a far better informed opinion now than I did 2+ years ago.

Doesnt mean I think he’s great but it does mean that he’s not as bad as I thought he’d be. So I was wrong - and I can admit that.

Shall we just save this post somewhere for the next time you feel it necessary to bring up a post from 2 years ago? 

• Like 1

Another exmaple: Ashley Young and Stewart Downing both left Villa in the same transfer window to bigger clubs. One departed with well wishes through gritted teeth, the other with a torrent of hate and his standing with the fans irreparably ruined. Ditto Benteke and Delph 4 years later.

Circumstances matter. Let's not pretend that every departure from a club is exactly the same. There are decent ways to handle it, while being respectful of your current club and there are not so decent ways to go about it.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Keyblade said:

It's because of the way he handled it. Wednesday fans feel he disrespected the club. All I'm seeing on VT is people reiterating that he's an asshole. "Any other manager would have taken the job" is just a weird defence of him. Sure that's true, but he's still an asshole.

How should he have handled it? Genuine question. I don’t see how he could have done it any differently if he wants the Newcastle job. 

And your last line sums up my point. You think he’s an asshole and even though you’re admitting any other manager would have taken the job, your overall point is Bruce is an asshole. 

That’s fine, at least you’re admitting it unlike others who are pretending this is some massive evil thing he’s doing that no other manager would have done. 

19 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

They're not angry for no reason.

As a very recent example, they weren't anywhere near as angry when Carlos Carvajal left them a couple of years ago to join Swansea in the PL.

Like MON for example still hasn't been forgiven by Villa fans for leaving us in preseason almost 10 years later. I can't think of anyone on here who views him in a favourable light today. 

Which is why this defence of Bruce is so odd to me. MON has never slagged off the fans, but he's still widely regarded as a being an asshole. Bruce literally calls us hysterical and mentally deficient in public, but for some reason pointing out that he's an asshole for the way he's left Wednesday is poor form. Just bizarre.

Milner handed in a transfer request from Newcastle days before the transfer window closed, then jumped at the first opportunity to leave us. It's poor form, and it's clearly part of who he is. But doesn't make him a bad person.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

How should he have handled it? Genuine question. I don’t see how he could have done it any differently if he wants the Newcastle job. 

And your last line sums up my point. You think he’s an asshole and even though you’re admitting any other manager would have taken the job, your overall point is Bruce is an asshole. 

That’s fine, at least you’re admitting it unlike others who are pretending this is some massive evil thing he’s doing that no other manager would have done. 

Any Championship manager would have taken a PL job, in a vacuum, yes. It's a no brainer. But like I said, circumstances matter.

Like my example above, any player would move from Villa to Manchester United or Liverpool or Manchester City. When Ashley Young and Benteke do it with no fuss, it hurts but it's fine. But when Delph and Downing do it after literally claiming not even weeks beforehand that they wouldn't leave the club, then it's a dick move.

In Downing's case, we signed him with a broken leg, nursed him back to health and gave him a platform to regain his form and he left us at the first opportunity without so much as a thank you. This shares parallels with Steve Bruce in that he was given a lot of leeway and good grace by Wednedsay, and his comments on the situation were disrespectful towards the club that put a lot of faith in him. Also, resigning instead of waiting for the clubs to reach an agreement (like he said originally he would in his comments) means that Wednesday likely aren't getting the full compensation. Reports are saying that they won't be compensated for the backroom staff that is following him to Newcastle for example. This is all also assuming that every manager, in these particular circumstances, would even have taken the Newcastle job which I don't necessarily agree with but I admit that's obviously hard to quantify.

23 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Rafa left on June 24th, he could have went to Wednesday board then and said if for some reason Newcastle come in for my can I leave. Gives Wednesday nearly 3 weeks to prepare a backup in case they did

32 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

Wow man, you truly are obsessed but I guess I’ll take it as a compliment, until I see you in the bushes outside my house that is.......

Yep, I totally did not want him here, thought he was awful and would be awful - all based off nothing much more than perception at that point having not ever experienced him as Manager or my club.

But he did an okay job, not the best and not the worst and it’s fair to say I have a far better informed opinion now than I did 2+ years ago.

Doesnt mean I think he’s great but it does mean that he’s not as bad as I thought he’d be. So I was wrong - and I can admit that.

Shall we just save this post somewhere for the next time you feel it necessary to bring up a post from 2 years ago? 

Haha 

If you stop being hypocritical then it doesn't need to be brought up again.

Don't complain about hatred for no reason and hyperbole when you were one of the first to do both on this thread. 

11 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

Haha 

Don't complain about hatred for no reason and hyperbole when you were one of the first to do both on this thread. 

It's a very fair point 👍🏻

14 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

Haha 

I’ve evolved matey, give me a shout when you’ve caught up :)

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

Haha 

You have some front to say that, with your comments.

Edited by TRO

9 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

I’ve evolved matey, give me a shout when you’ve caught up :)

Haha 

I did. I was all for Steve Bruce. Then i witnessed his failure and his attitude. Its been good. 

3 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

Haha 

I did. I was all for Steve Bruce. Then i witnessed his failure and his attitude. Its been good. 

So you're a hypocrite? Or are people entitled to change their views based on changes week by week? 

24 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

Haha 

I was just speaking to a few Villa pals in the pub About Steve  and your comments......and while the majority only want to speak about Dean Smith, which is only natural .....The general consensus was he didn't do a good job, but didn't do a bad job , it was a time in progression.

You would do well to take your "Hate of the man" hat off and talk about the good things he did as opposed to wallowing in the things he did wrong to satisfy your Hate.

In view of where we was to where he took us.....we progressed.

That's the end of the story for me.

4 minutes ago, kurtsimonw said:

So you're a hypocrite? Or are people entitled to change their views based on changes week by week? 

Everyone can change their opinion. But being abusive towards bruce and then having a go at others who did so is ridiculous. 

I've never argued someone can't change their mind. I've done so on numerous occasions. However i'd like to believe if i did change my mind I wouldn't appoint myself as the morale guardian once it happened. 

Edited by DCJonah

1 minute ago, TRO said:

I was just speaking to a few Villa pals in the pub About Steve  and your comments......and while the majority only want to speak about Dean Smith, which is only natural .....The general consensus was he didn't do a good job, but didn't do a bad job , it was a time in progression.

You would do well to take your "Hate of the man" hat off and talk about the good things he did as opposed to wallowing in the things he did wrong to satisfy your Hate.

In view of where we was to where he took us.....we progressed.

That's the end of the story for me.

He failed. Left a mess and thank God dean saved us because we would be in a very different situation with some long term damage. 

I don't need to wallow in what he did wrong. He proved everyone who was against him right. 

22 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

He failed. Left a mess and thank God dean saved us because we would be in a very different situation with some long term damage. 

I don't need to wallow in what he did wrong. He proved everyone who was against him right. 

No he didn't that is a figment of your imagination....Just because he has not covered himself in Glory over the recent resignation has nothing to do with what we are discussing... Its like the school bully winning the sack race and thinking everything is ok now.

He did a job during a period of us recovering from demise of over 10 years.

You are trying to legitimise your negativity for the man.

Let me test your ability to be reasonable......Have you anything to say positive about a manager that secured 24 wins in a season for us.

cringe, stamp your feet and cry if you have to .....but I am sure deep in your level of intelligence there is a corner that say's " he must have done something good.....even if he never got us to where we wanted to be.

Roger Federer and the New Zealand cricket team are waiting with interest to hear.

Edited by TRO

1 hour ago, Keyblade said:

Any Championship manager would have taken a PL job, in a vacuum, yes. It's a no brainer. But like I said, circumstances matter.

I get the resigning thing looks shit (have said so previously), but I don’t get this “circumstances” thing.

In literally every single player example you’ve given, they’ve all been targeted by bigger clubs and have all gone to bigger clubs. Bruce is just doing the same. He couldn’t have gone earlier, the job wasn’t there. 

Just a weird hate thing. Shrug. 

• Like 3

Â