Steve Bruce

Demitri_C

27 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

He failed. Left a mess and thank God dean saved us because we would be in a very different situation with some long term damage. 

I don't need to wallow in what he did wrong. He proved everyone who was against him right. 

You talk some twaddle.

Dean for me is a much better manager as a whole......but lets get that out of the way first....before you try to twist that.

Steve Bruce won 24 games in a season and got to the play offs( forget about the style of football and the spectacle for a minute) He lost by 2-1 in the final.

Dean Smith  won in the final by 2-1 and could have lost, in the same way Steve Bruce did.....Dean went out to win from the first whistle and Steve Didn't , we are all aware of that, but the scores remain and Dean admitted it was the longest 15 minutes of his life....lets just take that in for a minute.

Look mate.....Hate the man all you will and deny him any credit of anything he did for us.....but don't try to legitimise it as some sort of result to you....because it ain't.....unless you completely misread as what is being said.

DC quite frankly, I don't really care what you think of Steve Bruce as he is no longer our manager....but don't think you have won the Argument as you seem to proclaim, just because people like me are far more interested in talking about Dean Smith.

However, I will have one final point......while a manager is trying his best for Aston Villa football club, I will always look at the positives first .....you can go through my posts in the last 12 years of writing on here.....it will be my ultimate disappointment to have to write something negative of a serving Villa Manager......Steve Bruce for me is no exception.

3 minutes ago, bobzy said:

I get the resigning thing looks shit (have said so previously), but I don’t get this “circumstances” thing.

In literally every single player example you’ve given, they’ve all been targeted by bigger clubs and have all gone to bigger clubs. Bruce is just doing the same. He couldn’t have gone earlier, the job wasn’t there. 

Just a weird hate thing. Shrug. 

Well yeah, I literally say as much? They're all making a step up, Bruce included. It's the manner in which they left that is the circumstances I refer to.

Downing vs Young. Both left to a bigger club. But obviously the circumstances weren't the same, otherwise we would have the exact same opinion of both of their departures. Honestly don't see what's so confusing?

If it's this weird uniquely Villa fan hate thing, why do the Wednesday fans, who previously thought highly of him, now hate him? Why weren't they this pissed off when Carvalhal left to the PL a couple of years ago? Circumstances.

Also, I don't think the issue here is the timing relative to the vacancy...we can't know for sure anyway how soon he was considered etc. If there is an issue with timing, it's just the overall sourness of leaving in the middle of preseason preparations while also making some transfer dealings for next season, which obviously he'd have to do if he wants the job.

1 hour ago, DCJonah said:

He failed. Left a mess and thank God dean saved us because we would be in a very different situation with some long term damage. 

I don't need to wallow in what he did wrong. He proved everyone who was against him right. 

He left work unfinished......if it was a mess, we wouldn't have gained promotion....and NSWE & CP would not have allowed him to continue.....are you suggesting they failed too.... to remove him, and took the easy option.

Dean made an inspired signing in Tyrone Mings and possibly Kortney Hause........but don't tell me, John McGinn and Jack ( who he he was instrumental in progressing) did not have equally a significant Impact.

You go down Bodymoor Heath and tell them That SB left a mess.....I will accompany you to hear the response.

Edited by TRO

31 minutes ago, bobzy said:

I get the resigning thing looks shit (have said so previously), but I don’t get this “circumstances” thing.

In literally every single player example you’ve given, they’ve all been targeted by bigger clubs and have all gone to bigger clubs. Bruce is just doing the same. He couldn’t have gone earlier, the job wasn’t there. 

Just a weird hate thing. Shrug. 

Hate, always is weird.....It destroys a reasoned argument or discussion.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Keyblade said:

I was a big fan of Steve Bruce until he started showing his true colours. I'd imagine quite a few Wednesday fans are saying the same right about now.

Interestingly, what true colours?.....not meant to be a loaded question by the way.

1 minute ago, TRO said:

Interestingly, what true colours?.....not meant to be a loaded question by the way.

It's kind of twofold. First from a footballing perspective, it took a while for him to see his limitations as a manager but soon they became quite jarring. The one thing that stands out was when he said we have to be wary of Fernando Forristieri ahead of a game against Wednesday, who was suspended for that game. Showed a complete lack of preparation that was already apparent on the pitch. 

But as a person, towards the end of his reign it became clear that he was really only looking out for Steve Bruce and his reputation. The way he lashed out at fans for criticizing him, the way he tried to absolve himself of responsibility by claiming he was working on a shoestring budget etc. Opened my eyes that he's not really the nice guy everyone thinks he is.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Morley_crosses_to_Withe said:

The year is 2050. Climate change has made large swathes of planet Earth inhabitable and Humankind has colonised Mars to escape the domination of ultra intelligent robots. Those living on Mars do so in ultra-high tech, skyscraper cities and travel around in flying cars. People are still arguing about Steve Bruce on VillaTalk. 

Welcome to the Steve Bruce thread.

You can check out anytime you like, but you can never leave.

• Haha 1

53 minutes ago, TRO said:

Dean Smith  won in the final by 2-1 and could have lost, in the same way Steve Bruce did.....Dean went out to win from the first whistle and Steve Didn't , we are all aware of that, but the scores remain and Dean admitted it was the longest 15 minutes of his life....lets just take that in for a minute.

Look mate.....Hate the man all you will and deny him any credit of anything he did for us.....but don't try to legitimise it as some sort of result to you....because it ain't.....unless you completely misread as what is being said.

DC quite frankly, I don't really care what you think of Steve Bruce as he is no longer our manager....but don't think you have won the Argument as you seem to proclaim, just because people like me are far more interested in talking about Dean Smith.

However, I will have one final point......while a manager is trying his best for Aston Villa football club, I will always look at the positives first .....you can go through my posts in the last 12 years of writing on here.....it will be my ultimate disappointment to have to write something negative of a serving Villa Manager......Steve Bruce for me is no exception.

At the risk of re-iterating old points. You are really cherry picking your argument there.

Dean Smith was not expected to get us promoted. He, and Purslow said that themselves. The very fact that he got to the final is an absolute credit to his management and to some outstanding recruitment in January. 

Steve Bruce with three transfer windows and the mystical full pre-season behind him had been backed substantially and should have got us to the automatic spots with the resources available. To be in the playoffs at all, and then to top it off with the lacklustre performance that we put in under his guidance was shocking. 1 goal in 3 games, after betting the farm on promotion. 

47 minutes ago, TRO said:

He left work unfinished......if it was a mess, we wouldn't have gained promotion....and NSWE & CP would not have allowed him to continue.....are you suggesting they failed too.... to remove him, and took the easy option.

Dean made an inspired signing in Tyrone Mings and possibly Kortney Hause........but don't tell me, John McGinn and Jack ( who he he was instrumental in progressing) did not have equally a significant Impact.

You go down Bodymoor Heath and tell them That SB left a mess.....I will accompany you to hear the response.

There  is absolutely no way that you can argue he did not leave us a mess. He absolutely did leave us in a mess. Work unfinished - WOW! Work that would never have been finished under him. The reasons behind NSWE & Co keeping him on initially have been discussed at length. Fortunately they realised pretty quickly taht he had to go (to their credit).

How anyone can claim that we were not a mess when SB left is astonishing. 

40 minutes ago, TRO said:

Hate, always is weird.....It destroys a reasoned argument or discussion.

Why does anyone criticising Bruce get labelled as a hater? Why? That seems to be the only defensive argument people have at the moment. "oh, you cant see the good he did because you are a hater".  No. I have eyes, and can see what a shit job he did here, and how he has just shit on Sheffield Wednesday.

Edited by TheStagMan

20 minutes ago, Morley_crosses_to_Withe said:

The year is 2050. Climate change has made large swathes of planet Earth inhabitable and Humankind has colonised Mars to escape the domination of ultra intelligent robots. Those living on Mars do so in ultra-high tech, skyscraper cities and travel around in flying cars. People are still arguing about Steve Bruce on VillaTalk. 

You missed the bit where he has bankrupted 2 clubs, relegated a further 6 and started world war III and people will still be on here defending him, because they have to stop the "haters"

• Thanks 1

59 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

Well yeah, I literally say as much? They're all making a step up, Bruce included. It's the manner in which they left that is the circumstances I refer to.

Downing vs Young. Both left to a bigger club. But obviously the circumstances weren't the same, otherwise we would have the exact same opinion of both of their departures. Honestly don't see what's so confusing?

If it's this weird uniquely Villa fan hate thing, why do the Wednesday fans, who previously thought highly of him, now hate him? Why weren't they this pissed off when Carvalhal left to the PL a couple of years ago? Circumstances.

I mean, personally I don’t begrudge Young or Downing. Possibly Young a bit more as he dived against us, but otherwise? Meh, whatever. I think the only sale that ever left a bad taste was Delph - definitely “circumstances” there. 

Oh, and they didn’t care about Carvalhal leaving because they were in terrible form and he left. The crowd were chanting for him to leave and he went. They never spoke about him again really. 

Sort of like us and Bruce apart from the deeply confounded hate that some people have for him, which is why this damn thread will never die. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, bobzy said:

I mean, personally I don’t begrudge Young or Downing. Possibly Young a bit more as he dived against us, but otherwise? Meh, whatever. I think the only sale that ever left a bad taste was Delph - definitely “circumstances” there. 

Oh, and they didn’t care about Carvalhal leaving because they were in terrible form and he left. The crowd were chanting for him to leave and he went. They never spoke about him again really. 

Sort of like us and Bruce apart from the deeply confounded hate that some people have for him, which is why this damn thread will never die. 

Yeah Young shat on the good will of the fans later on but at that point in time, there were hugely contrasting reactions. Downing is called Judas to this day (incidentally also the Wednesday fans' choice of name for Bruce). Benteke for example will get a hero's reception at VP whereas Delph is going to get booed to all hell next month.

Re: the bolded, so circumstances then. I'd also submit Lampard at Derby for another very close analogy. Manager leaves Championship team for his dream job in the PL. If it was just about managers leaving, then every reaction would be the same, but they're not. I think his comments on the situation just lacked class and really incensed the Wednesday fans, and then for the cherry on top, he resigned.

Incidentally, I think he handled the speculation of interest from Newcastle much better when he was at Hull. It's hard to say if he turned them down or if they weren't really interested in him at the time, but I'm sure if he'd have left then, there wouldn't be the animosity he faces now...just like there wouldn't be if he left us after the playoff final loss for example.

1 hour ago, TheStagMan said:

You missed the bit where he has bankrupted 2 clubs, relegated a further 6 and started world war III and people will still be on here defending him, because they have to stop the "haters"

Wouldn't put it passed him, just to "shut a few up" 🤣

Edited by Designer1
  • Haha 2

16 minutes ago, Designer1 said:

Wouldn't put it passed him, just to "shut a few up" 🤣

Yeah,

I Can't wait until we Visit St James, and they Visit B6..

Hopefully we will eventually "shut him up" on both occasions.

Word removed.

1 hour ago, bobzy said:

Sort of like us and Bruce apart from the deeply confusing passion to protect and defend him that some people on here inexplicably have for him, which is why this damn thread will never die. 

FTFY 🙂 

3 hours ago, Keyblade said:

It's kind of twofold. First from a footballing perspective, it took a while for him to see his limitations as a manager but soon they became quite jarring. The one thing that stands out was when he said we have to be wary of Fernando Forristieri ahead of a game against Wednesday, who was suspended for that game. Showed a complete lack of preparation that was already apparent on the pitch. 

But as a person, towards the end of his reign it became clear that he was really only looking out for Steve Bruce and his reputation. The way he lashed out at fans for criticizing him, the way he tried to absolve himself of responsibility by claiming he was working on a shoestring budget etc. Opened my eyes that he's not really the nice guy everyone thinks he is.

ok

2 hours ago, TheStagMan said:

At the risk of re-iterating old points. You are really cherry picking your argument there.

Dean Smith was not expected to get us promoted. He, and Purslow said that themselves. The very fact that he got to the final is an absolute credit to his management and to some outstanding recruitment in January. 

Steve Bruce with three transfer windows and the mystical full pre-season behind him had been backed substantially and should have got us to the automatic spots with the resources available. To be in the playoffs at all, and then to top it off with the lacklustre performance that we put in under his guidance was shocking. 1 goal in 3 games, after betting the farm on promotion. 

There  is absolutely no way that you can argue he did not leave us a mess. He absolutely did leave us in a mess. Work unfinished - WOW! Work that would never have been finished under him. The reasons behind NSWE & Co keeping him on initially have been discussed at length. Fortunately they realised pretty quickly taht he had to go (to their credit).

How anyone can claim that we were not a mess when SB left is astonishing. 

Why does anyone criticising Bruce get labelled as a hater? Why? That seems to be the only defensive argument people have at the moment. "oh, you cant see the good he did because you are a hater".  No. I have eyes, and can see what a shit job he did here, and how he has just shit on Sheffield Wednesday.

• I just have argued he didn't leave a mess, unfinished work ,yes.....He had no money to sign a mings or Hause, we could'nt even pay the tax bill......was you on holiday?
  • Dean Smith took over and said the team was good enough to go up Automatically, His Words, not mine.... after the dip, losing Jack he adjusted his stance to Play offs......that is how much mess he thought was left......yes Dean did create a miracle, taking nothing away from the chap, but get your facts right.
  • usually when not an ounce of good can be gleaned from a soul.....its usually a hater at work.

Â