Steve Bruce

Demitri_C

1 hour ago, HeyAnty said:

The only thing glaringly obvious thing to use is over a season, (which is the correct sample)

Again, call me whacky and deluded but you ‘appear’ here to be saying that you are using ‘ the’ ‘ correct’ sample............whereas as you now correctly state it’s nonmore or less ‘correct’ than any other.

Still, glad it’s all settled now. 

So, as I said, Bruce has been averaging close to 2 points a game for over a seasons worth of games now, so in my view it’s reasonable ( note - reasonable......not ‘likely’, ‘ certain’ etc, just reasonable )  to think he might well continue to do so, and get us up around top 2. For that reason, and the lack of a clear available replacement who I could see bettering that, I’d stick with him.

Not ‘ pro’ or ‘anti’, not a ‘cultist’ or a ‘hater’.

Not ‘wrong’ or selective.

Just expressing my view on whether we should keep him, and why.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, GREAT_BEARD_OF_ZEUS said:

Because whilst the league and cup are separate, the problem with us over-relying on the individual skills of a small group of quality players to win us matches, rather than coach a whole squad to play an effective style of football is a problem which affects us whatever competition we're playing in.  It's simply that last nights cup game highlighted that issue more so than normal. 

tenor.gif?itemid=5017002

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

6 minutes ago, terrytini said:

Again, call me whacky and deluded but you ‘appear’ here to be saying that you are using ‘ the’ ‘ correct’ sample............whereas as you now correctly state it’s nonmore or less ‘correct’ than any other.

Still, glad it’s all settled now. 

So, as I said, Bruce has been averaging close to 2 points a game for over a seasons worth of games now, so in my view it’s reasonable ( note - reasonable......not ‘likely’, ‘ certain’ etc, just reasonable )  to think he might well continue to do so, and get us up around top 2. For that reason, and the lack of a clear available replacement who I could see bettering that, I’d stick with him.

Not ‘ pro’ or ‘anti’, not a ‘cultist’ or a ‘hater’.

Not ‘wrong’ or selective.

Just expressing my view on whether we should keep him, and why.

Thats fair enough and you are entitled to your opinion and i apologize if i offended you with the way i game across as its only my opinion and i wasnt my intention to do so.

It still doesn't make me think anything different regards using a sample of 47 games instead of using a sample of 46 over a period of a season.  Jumping over multiple seasons Skews the result.  To make it clear, all in my opinion.      

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, GREAT_BEARD_OF_ZEUS said:

No no, I was being entirely serious.  And perhaps if I explain the rather crude analogy properly you'll understand why...

Because whilst the league and cup are separate, the problem with us over-relying on the individual skills of a small group of quality players to win us matches, rather than coach a whole squad to play an effective style of football is a problem which affects us whatever competition we're playing in.  It's simply that last nights cup game highlighted that issue more so than normal. 

So, much like if you had no money and it say stopped you going to the cinema one night (getting knocked out of the cup) - then hey no biggy.  But at the same time if it eventually meant you couldn't afford your mortgage (not getting promoted) - yeah rather problematic!

Do you not see where I'm coming from?

i get your point but disagree...i would be surprised if there are many teams that have a particular style that is replicated regardless of the team they put out or the competition they're in. i loved the idea of the 'villa engine' but such an idea is very difficult to implement, and frankly we have more pressing priorities right now. league results are the most important right now, nothing else

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

4 minutes ago, villabromsgrove said:

I'm still trying to get to the bottom of "why Bruce is the man".

You could be here for a long time mate..

Bruce could lose the next 5 on the bounce but you can bet he would still be deemed the man to get us 'there or thereabouts' by some on here.  - He's got 4 promotions to his name you know!

10 minutes ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

Bruce could lose the next 5 on the bounce but you can bet he would still be deemed the man to get us 'there or thereabouts' by some on here.  - He's got 4 promotions to his name you know!

Oh here we go again, let's all play the silly game.

We could win the next 5 on the bounce and you can bet he would still be deemed a dinosaur failure by some on here.

Back to you.

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

Well to be fair, that is an impressive number of promotions and it was nearly one more last season. I agree though the style of play the majority of the time is horrendous, but then occasionally we'll absolutely outplay a team, which makes us wonder why we can't always play like that.

Unfortunately for us and Bruce, we came up against a team that could play football in Fulham last season. Also, credit where credit is due, we are fourth in the table and are currently unbeaten. So sacking him without a concrete plan on who to replace him would be the stupidest thing we could do. If we go on a streak of loses though we might have to take the risk. 

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, villabromsgrove said:

He's old fashioned and he's not a particularly good coach, Am I right so far?

Im sure i heard, he knows the league like the back of his hand, and is the only man to get us out of this league. 

6 minutes ago, villabromsgrove said:

He's old fashioned and he's not a particularly good coach, Am I right so far?

Interesting to hear Collymore's comments on Twitter. Calling for Bruce to be sacked and a more modern coach to be installed. Called the performance, " scared, turgid, football. Also gave his thoughts on Dean Smith, said he was a good manager, who didn't suffer fools, but he doubted that we had the necessary infrastructure, that he would be comfortable working with.

He's of the belief that there are dozens of young managers out there with great ideas, sadly he doesn't name one. 

You certainly can't fault his honesty or passion.

4 minutes ago, sheepyvillian said:

Interesting to hear Collymore's comments on Twitter. Calling for Bruce to be sacked and a more modern coach to be installed. Called the performance, " scared, turgid, football. Also gave his thoughts on Dean Smith, said he was a good manager, who didn't suffer fools, but he doubted that we had the necessary infrastructure, that he would be comfortable working with.

He's of the belief that there are dozens of young managers out there with great ideas, sadly he doesn't name one. 

You certainly can't fault his honesty or passion.

Indeed. He is still a complete bell end though

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

We could win the next 5 on the bounce and you can bet he would still be deemed a dinosaur failure by some on here.

Back to you.

Is Bruce an old fashioned manager, and is he not a very good coach BfH&V?

You're very dismissive of criticism of Bruce, but I want to hear you say why you think he's the man.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

For me the problems are fundamentals:

We have bought decent players who for some reason are under performing....Why?

We seem to think that rather than developing/improving players the better solution is to buy more....Why?

When we pass and move we can beat teams easily, however we rarely do it....Why?

We have cover in a number of positions, yet feel the better solution is to play players out of position....Why?

We have players who seem on the surface to get on, yet seem like strangers on the pitch.....Why?

We continuously change our starting 11 with some players of established quality totally ignored.....Why?

To me the answer is Bruce, he has not attachment to this club, the fans or management, we are just a job and his planning and implementation is all short term.  No longevity, no development, no building, NO FUTURE.  At some point we need to have a plan, we simply cannot continue buying crap for the sake of keeping Bruce in a job, we are not getting better, we are compounding our previous cock ups and this will kill us as a club.  We really need to start again and quickly.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

Back to you.

Because he is, we are not being fickle, he really is terrible and will not get us up never mind keep us there.  We are gambling badly with the clubs future with Bruce!!

8 minutes ago, macandally said:

Because he is, we are not being fickle, he really is terrible and will not get us up never mind keep us there.  We are gambling badly with the clubs future with Bruce!!

No, no fickleness round here, none at all..........remember how much quieter the Bruce out noise was when we won 7 games in a row last season.........no fickleness whatsoever.........

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

No, no fickleness round here, none at all..........remember how much quieter the Bruce out noise was when we won 7 games in a row last season.........no fickleness whatsoever.........

You don’t get promoted for winning 7 on the bounce, you get promoted for having the best combination of team, squad, approach and strategy.  We are lacking in a number of those and a decent one off run in a crap league doesn’t disguise that.

• Like 1

Â