Steve Bruce

Demitri_C

49 minutes ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

Not twisted intentionally Doug.

Where are these clubs now Bruce used to manage? Why did they start to fall away after Bruce left?

We know where they are. 3 of them are currently in a championship relegation battle. 

I don't know. I know it had **** all to do with Bruce. You can *maybe* give him the MON type blame for Sunderland, or you can give that to MON himself who spunked millions on the likes of Danny Graham.  

1 hour ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

It's not Di Matteo like though is it?

Give Bruce a few months.. after he has spent millions? Then what.. if it goes tits up, we are then stuck with shite he has signed. (Look @dont_do_it_doug. post a couple of pages back) Sunderland, Wigan, Hull all suffering after Bruce left - not cause of the managerial prowess of the guy, but the shit he leaves teams in when he leaves.

Who's morale will it damage? The first team? - half of them will be gone.

Terry for me won't cut it in the premier league at 37, sorry but he just won't, If you think he can then so will Hutton, Samba and Richards.

For me the Premier league has moved on rapidly since Bruce last managed there and if I was him I would take a leaf out of Neil Warnocks book. :)

It is as we are trusting a new guy to practically build a premier league side. Di Matteo wasted millions but signed some decent players like Adomah, Chester yet he failed to get the best out of them. It is a big gamble 

You dont know for certain who is going and who is staying thats you speculating. 

As for bruce leaving clubs in the shit that is not true at all. He left Hull as they were not supporting him and he made the right choice he took them up and ;left as he knew they would go down. Sunderland he hit a bit of bad form but how can you blame him for their current plight? That is Ellis Shirt (their version of Randy Lerner) Who has totally ruined them. 

Terry doesn't have to be playing week in and week out but his influence alone adds so much to us. The bonding, captain the way he is with the younger players. Terry has not once looked down at us and thought he was above us. He celebrated that Sheff United goal like a Chelsea goal the other night.  I cant see why you would not be in favor of keeping him for another year? 

It has not changed that much I mean look who is still managing there , pardrew, Allardyce, moyes, lambert (yes lambert) so it really has not. 

1 hour ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

if it goes tits up, we are then stuck with shite he has signed.

Well if Wyness is to believe we have a good scouting network all over the world and Round is also heavily involved in transfers. So combine that with Bruce's transfer history not being too bad then there is no excuse for being stuck with shit that has been signed. 

12 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Di Matteo wasted millions but signed some decent players like Adomah, Chester yet he failed to get the best out of them. It is a big gamble 

Let's be fair to Di Matteo here, he did not even have a quarter season to "get the best out of them"

We have gone through longer shite spells with Bruce and kept him since then.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

It is as we are trusting a new guy to practically build a premier league side. Di Matteo wasted millions but signed some decent players like Adomah, Chester yet he failed to get the best out of them. It is a big gamble 

You dont know for certain who is going and who is staying thats you speculating. 

As for bruce leaving clubs in the shit that is not true at all. He left Hull as they were not supporting him and he made the right choice he took them up and ;left as he knew they would go down. Sunderland he hit a bit of bad form but how can you blame him for their current plight? That is Ellis Shirt (their version of Randy Lerner) Who has totally ruined them. 

Terry doesn't have to be playing week in and week out but his influence alone adds so much to us. The bonding, captain the way he is with the younger players. Terry has not once looked down at us and thought he was above us. He celebrated that Sheff United goal like a Chelsea goal the other night.  I cant see why you would not be in favor of keeping him for another year? 

It has not changed that much I mean look who is still managing there , pardrew, Allardyce, moyes, lambert (yes lambert) so it really has not. 

It's interesting that you blame Ellis Short for Sunderland's demise and not Bruce - but then call out Lambert and make no mention of Lerner pulling the rug from under his feet - if you feel that Short is to blame for the Sunderland debacle- then surely Lerner also comes into your radar ?

14 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Let's be fair to Di Matteo here, he did not even have a quarter season to "get the best out of them"

We have gone through longer shite spells with Bruce and kept him since then.

Have we?

I don't recall going on a run under Bruce of 1 win in 11 - I may be wrong?

14 hours ago, vreitti said:

This game can be played in more than one way... looking at the state of those clubs now, if that's the sign of Bruce's legacy...

I say give him a 20 year contract immediately! :P

On a more serious note, should we get promoted, and someone better is available, we absolutely need to change manager. We all know Bruce's ceiling, cus we're there or thereabouts now, imho.

Don't get me wrong, Bruce is doing well at the moment, but still it took him ages to get going, all things considered, and we're by no means in the clear yet. All it takes is a couple of losses on the trot, and we can kiss goodbye to automatic promotion.

This honest bunch of lads is second to none. We will batten down the hatches and then we go again

• Like 1

14 hours ago, NurembergVillan said:

They're all shit now, Dave.

Blues (10th) had their second best placed PL finish under Bruce, with Mikael Forssell, who he signed, being their top scorer.

Wigan (11th) had their second best placed PL finish under Bruce, with Amr Zaki, who he signed, being their top scorer.

Hull (16th) had their best placed PL finish while Bruce was manager.  They also reached the FA Cup Final for the first time.

Sunderland (10th) had their 3rd best placed PL finish under Bruce, with Asamoah Gyan, who he signed, ending as their top scorer.

They're all properly shit (again) now though.

I'm not really so sure this represents an endorsement of Bruce's managerial ability tbh with you - didn't McLeish take Blues to their highest ever finish and likewise Peter Reid at Sunderland? I will happily stand corrected on this mind - but would you take either of these men ?

for me it represents just exactly what I fear Bruce is - a mid - table mediocrity manager when punching above his weight and when not a bottom half  of the table manager - also as for Gyan again I would not cite him as a shining example of scouting prowess - in my view he is a very poor footballer who was signed on the back of a half decent World Cup and a ridiculous goal celebration ( sorry only kidding about the last bit). I believe he is now in the footballing hot bed of the middle/Far East.

Do you not find it a little odd that ( until now he has never had a top job?)

In his defence and strangely I for one do not think it would be fair to sack him if we do get promotion - this is despite my lack of faith in him and is also why I advocated change quite some time back - however this ship has sailed and I'm afraid we are stuck with him unless the wheels fall off ( which I'm hoping is clearly not the case)

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

Have we?

I don't recall going on a run under Bruce of 1 win in 11 - I may be wrong?

JV is right in my opinion we may not have a 11-1 record under Bruce but in the grand scheme of things we were dire overall for longer than an 11 game period- people rightly have their own views and maybe RDM may or may not have turned things around but for me I believe Bruce would have been fired last season had we not already have done this to RDM

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Wigan got relegated because of Steve Bruce? That's a new one.

They went down because they were a tin pot club in a changing landscape where local businessmen made good just wasn't enough anymore.They didn't invest enough and didn't produce enough turnover. Also Martinez.

Actually, mainly Martinez.

1 hour ago, Demitri_C said:

You are kidding right ?

Only 6 months ago you where starting polls for new managers to replace Bruce after only 3 games in iirc and put it all on Dean Smith? ;)

No doubt you would have also hung Bruce out to dry the same way as you are now doing with Di matteo. Would that have been Tony Xia's fault for backing his manager like Ellis Short has all of his?

JT's ability at this level has not been questioned and I see what he adds to us at this level, it's clear for all to see. 

I just feel back at PL level at that pace would to too demanding and yes having him as a back up may deem a good move granted, would he sign up again on that basis maybe?

It has changed and I see who is managing there. I also see they are not really tearing the league up either giving some of the players that have been signed for stupid inflated prices from managers before in some instances. They are all steady the ship type managers.

Edited by AvfcRigo82

16 minutes ago, Dave J said:

In his defence and strangely I for one do not think it would be fair to sack him if we do get promotion - this is despite my lack of faith in him and is also why I advocated change quite some time back - however this ship has sailed and I'm afraid we are stuck with him unless the wheels fall off ( which I'm hoping is clearly not the case)

Regardless of what other arguments are being made in this thread right now this bit stood out for me. Because it's reasonable.

45 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Well if Wyness is to believe we have a good scouting network all over the world and Round is also heavily involved in transfers. So combine that with Bruce's transfer history not being too bad then there is no excuse for being stuck with shit that has been signed. 

At this level no absolutely not and his cash signings to date bar one or two have been okay, his loan signings have been great. For me the acid test will come next season (Ideally back in the Prem) where he will be on with some major clout at his disposal for the first time in his managerial career.

It will be interesting to see how he does in todays market.

2 minutes ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

At this level no absolutely not and his cash signings to date bar one or two have been okay, his loan signings have been great. For me the acid test will come next season (Ideally back in the Prem) where he will be on with some major clout at his disposal for the first time in his managerial career.

It will be interesting to see how he does in todays market.

Would be interesting to know all of his signings in the top flight. 

Anyone bored? 

3 minutes ago, VILLAMARV said:

Regardless of what other arguments are being made in this thread right now this bit stood out for me. Because it's reasonable.

Absolutely, it's exactly that, reasonable. Nevertheless, I'd like to see us be a little more ruthless for once. We know fairly well what we'll be getting with Bruce. Will that be enough to match Xia's ambition for the short term? Of course, it all depends on who else is available. From the looks of it, sticking with Bruce isn't going to be the end of the world either, however much I dislike his football.

• Like 1

Â