Steve Bruce

Demitri_C

12 minutes ago, briny_ear said:

I think it’s just a small section of the fans he has a beef with. The ones who are constantly criticising him now matter how well the team is doing and who are constantly calling for his dismissal even after a run of 6 wins on the trot.

Din’t think there are too many of those, though. ;)

Its the ones directly behind the dug out, I think he was having a pop at......I am surprised the club stand for it.

Whoever is in charge, they are trying to win us the game.;)

38 minutes ago, TRO said:

I would Agree with that Dave.

Look, we both see Steve Bruce in very different Lights, thats not going to change, I don't think.....although Results do have a big influence.

To keep rolling out the Sunderland job, is 1) selective and 2) not many managers have had a success there in recent times....its a very,very difficult place to get it to work, IMO its a long Job.

Dave....If i was going to do a round up of Brian Clough and brought up the 44 days at Leeds.....It would be forgiven for someone to claim my article was biased and selective, in light of his overall career.....I guess one could say scraping the barrel.

Steve Bruce has been in football management c 20 years or so at mainly championship level, you know what he's done, so I won't repeat it....suffice to say by now,you know,its not easy.

Steve has never had transfer budgets awash with money, he hasn't been at clubs like that and he has come in now and had to deal with FFP.....quite frankly, I think he has done well, We may have a few ageing players, but that is the trade off he has to contend with, hence he has to watch the injuries.

Bear in mind, these are just opinions, no one has a monopoly on the truth.

I accept that you have a much different opinion of him than me.

TRO - I don't think it's selective to highlight what was levelled against his managerial abilities whilst at the SOL - you point to other managers failing there - I am not highlighting his failure at SOL directly - moreover a reason as to why.

you also point out that Bruce has never had budgets awash with money - I feel this only highlights the fact that a top club until now has ever felt they could trust Bruce to be in charge. We have done well for a short period of time and fingers crossed we can continue in this manner - but as I said earlier be cautious- he has been poor a lot longer than he has been good imo 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Dave J said:

TRO - I don't think it's selective to highlight what was levelled against his managerial abilities whilst at the SOL - you point to other managers failing there - I am not highlighting his failure at SOL directly - moreover a reason as to why.

you also point out that Bruce has never had budgets awash with money - I feel this only highlights the fact that a top club until now has ever felt they could trust Bruce to be in charge. We have done well for a short period of time and fingers crossed we can continue in this manner - but as I said earlier be cautious- he has been poor a lot longer than he has been good imo 

Dave....I have never dismissed your view and no He is not likely or never will be likely to get the top jobs....He is not good enough for that.

I think we all know that.

But while we have touched on Sunderland.....look where they are right now.....That could of been us, if he had not stepped in after 11 games.

Its being grateful for small mercies.

Lets just see where he can take us......If it fails, we can then re-visit it.

I think a bit of stability is doing us good.

Edited by TRO

1 hour ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

I have no horse in your debate here but regarding this point; I know of one article that has been re-posted every time we have gone on a shitty run. I don't know of 'stories'?

The fact is, he got sacked as Sunderland manager, and the football they played was dire, another fact. And, also, at the time they were in the premier league. Yet another fact. Just thought I'd state them.

• Like 1

If we were going to replace Bruce with a more sure thing then ok, I could live with it. But that "sure thing" obviously is unlikely to be British as we already have one of the top three British managers (Rodgers, Bruce, Big Sam). While I respect the job Dyche has done Villa cant operate that way and his football approach of balls into the box to the big men really wont work for our players or I daresay our club. Look at the rightful stick Bruce got when he played some long ball. It just doesn't fit the kind of football Villa fans want.

So we would be left with proven foreign managers and most likely yet another change in backroom staff and yet another change in recruitment priorities. It could work and hopefully it would, but that kind of change at a newly promoted club seems a tough ask. If we go up and if Xia & Wyness are going to make a change then they should do it the week we get promoted. Give the new guy a full preseason. But I dont think they will. Assuming Bruce carries on the way he is he will be our manager next season and I am fine with that.

Edited by ciggiesnbeer
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, sheepyvillian said:

The fact is, he got sacked as Sunderland manager, and the football they played was dire, another fact. And, also, at the time they were in the premier league. Yet another fact. Just thought I'd state them.

Ok. I don't think I've tried to claim he did a good job at Sunderland. I'll admit I probably didn't pay enough attention. Had the rug pulled from under him with Bent and Gyan maybe? Maybe he was just terrible. Shit happens either way, there aren't many managers out there who we could attract who haven't been sacked at one point.

What are Blues, Wigan, Sunderland and Hull up to these days anyway? Asking for a friend. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, sheepyvillian said:

The managers that haven't got sacked are having a meeting in the week in a Birmingham Telephone box.:)

All managers get sacked in the fullness of time, it’s the iron law of football. They either do crap and get sacked or do well and get poached by another team,  then get sacked when they don’t do well there.

In the real world getting sacked would be quite a bad thing on a CV, but in football management it’s almost a badge of honour, the fact they managed another team is usually seen as experience. It’s a funny old game.

Edited by alreadyexists
  • Like 1

57 minutes ago, sheepyvillian said:

To be fair he got sacked by Sunderland because all he could achieve was mid table mediocrity.They wanted more but after Bruce they just went on a steady decline, manager after manager, starting off with MON. 

1 hour ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

What are Blues, Wigan, Sunderland and Hull up to these days anyway? Asking for a friend. 

This game can be played in more than one way... looking at the state of those clubs now, if that's the sign of Bruce's legacy...

I say give him a 20 year contract immediately! :P

On a more serious note, should we get promoted, and someone better is available, we absolutely need to change manager. We all know Bruce's ceiling, cus we're there or thereabouts now, imho.

Don't get me wrong, Bruce is doing well at the moment, but still it took him ages to get going, all things considered, and we're by no means in the clear yet. All it takes is a couple of losses on the trot, and we can kiss goodbye to automatic promotion.

50 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

They're all shit now, Dave.

Blues (10th) had their second best placed PL finish under Bruce, with Mikael Forssell, who he signed, being their top scorer.

Wigan (11th) had their second best placed PL finish under Bruce, with Amr Zaki, who he signed, being their top scorer.

Hull (16th) had their best placed PL finish while Bruce was manager.  They also reached the FA Cup Final for the first time.

Sunderland (10th) had their 3rd best placed PL finish under Bruce, with Asamoah Gyan, who he signed, ending as their top scorer.

They're all properly shit (again) now though.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, NurembergVillan said:

I'll take that, yeah ;)

The one thing I'll say about Bruce is that he's done pretty well with the clubs he's been at in the PL previously.  In fact, in the context of those clubs and the level they should be at, you could say he did really well.

They weren't as famous, they didn't have the history, they (hopefully!) didn't have the budget for fees and salaries, they didn't have the training facilities - and he didn't have coaching set-up around him he has here.

Given the nuanced nature of managing a team - morale being a prime factor - I think change for change's sake would be an outrageous decision.

What if Conte is interested? 

3 minutes ago, NurembergVillan said:

They're all shit now, Dave.

Blues (10th) had their second best placed PL finish under Bruce, with Mikael Forssell, who he signed, being their top scorer.

Wigan (11th) had their second best placed PL finish under Bruce, with Amr Zaki, who he signed, being their top scorer.

Hull (16th) had their best placed PL finish while Bruce was manager.  They also reached the FA Cup Final for the first time.

Sunderland (10th) had their 3rd best placed PL finish under Bruce, with Asamoah Gyan, who he signed, ending as their top scorer.

They're all properly shit (again) now though.

This. He has found players like Zaki, Gyan, those Hondoruns, Hernandez, Valencia. 

He has a good scouting worldwide network and knows value for for money it seems. He does not just go for over paid British players. (Ahem MON).  I'm not concerned he will flop in the transfer market so even if he did eventually get sacked, hopefully he leaves the next manager with a good team. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, NurembergVillan said:

He isn't.

Let's give Grealish a free transfer in case Messi wants to come and play for us.

But what if he was?  Exciting new project, massive financial backing and made one of the highest paid managers in the league. You interested? 

Why cant we have both Grealish and Messi in the team? 

8 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

This. He has found players like Zaki, Gyan, those Hondoruns, Hernandez, Valencia. 

He has a good scouting worldwide network and knows value for for money it seems. He does not just go for over paid British players. (Ahem MON).  I'm not concerned he will flop in the transfer market so even if he did eventually get sacked, hopefully he leaves the next manager with a good team. 

This. I'm not exactly a fan of Bruce's playing style, etc., but I do have to say he's done superbly in regard to transfers. This has actually come as a big surprise to me, seeing as this was deemed as one of his major weaknesses (from before).

• Like 2

If we get promoted and say we did part ways with Bruce..

We would be back in the Prem, a new team needing built (needed anyway regardless who's manager), an ambitious owner, projects in the pipeline combined with some great young talent already at the club - Based on this I am sure we would now be able to attract some of the big names in the managerial world a lot easier than ever before.

Last time in the Premier League we where rotten under the old regime and by the end we would have been lucky to have attracted Ron Bassett!

When we return (in 4 months ideally) we will be under our new owner who will already have been with us for two years and we will be seen in a whole new light than before.

Tony does not come across as a chairman who will splash the cash and then be content with the aim of seeing if we can avoid relegation in our first season back.

Edited by AvfcRigo82

Â