Steve Bruce

Demitri_C

I'm 100% behind the cabbage throwing - it's that visceral moment like Schteve Mclaren and the brolly - it conveyed the feelings of a fan base without words.

Plus it innovates on potato, so respects pun convention.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, M_Afro said:

Steve Bruce does not have the right mentality to manage a club like ours. It is too big for him. I remember Wyness saying that Bruce is so scared of losing that he cannot sleep. The man is crippled by fear and this just manifests within the team. There cannot possibly be an excuse for keeping him anymore.

That said, a small number of our fans need to grow up. Throwing a cabbage as a protest is moronic. It is a pre meditated action which just makes it worse. Some of the comments on social media are also appalling. People must realise that not only is this antisocial and unnecessary but it has a negative impact on the team. They are ultimately hurting themselves.

Our next appointment is massive. We need a big man with a bigger ego. Someone with experience of managing a big club. Villa are still a huge attraction and the right person is out there. Let’s just hope that the key decision makers get it right. I would be starting a dialogue with Celtic straight away if it were me.

I honestly did not see the cabbage incident but totally agree on this issue-  but ultimately I'm afraid it's Bruce who is hurting the team right now and should be removed asap  - football is jobs for the boys and he'll pop up again somewhere soon - on a football only front I have no sympathy with him at all and just want rid.

Eddie Howe please 

2 hours ago, Dave J said:

I don't agree for one moment - one person changed that game and that was Daniel johnson - how on earth was he given the space that he was - he just pulled everything together for them and picked holes when needed to  - I would have bought Whelen on earlier and told him to have stood on Johnson 

It wasn't Johnson's introduction that caused the problem, it was our ineptitude in dealing with him, as you say.

The writing was on the wall way before the red card......That just confirmed what had been coming.

It was a shocking display incompetence from us.

Just now, jacketspuds said:

It's bizarre that Whelan has supposedly been "banging them in" during training this week, yet when he steps up to take one he didn't try to bang it in at all. Me thinks Whelan also wants Bruce out. ?

It was yet another display of self doubt.....with what was riding on that kick, i can't think of anyone missing that, that's what conviction is.

• Like 1

If I was Bruce I would have ran on that pitch, picked up Bolasie and planted him on the spot for the penalty - he'd just scored and was capable of doing it again purely out of self belief. How on earth did Whelan get the nod? I agree with previous opinion, Whelan hates Bruce!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, One For The Road said:

We ARE festering in the Championship!

I'll be you as much money as you want that we do not hire a top manager to replace Bruce. You seem determined to ignore our current financial position regarding FFP, and no amount of money that our owners have is going to help that. 

You’re not reading my posts properly. I didn’t say a top manager, I specifically said that clubs have overtaken us with managers that we had never heard of up to recently. 

We don’t need a manager after a big payday, we need a manager on the way up who has the character and personality to not be overawed by the job but isn’t some big time Charlie who keeps harping on about what he’s achieved in the past. We need a manager for the future not the past. 

I’m not advocating spending stupid money, I’ve consistently said we need to be a much more intelligent club in every way. Using the money cleverly is the way forward. Do you seriously think that Man City have done anything other than pay lip service to ffp? They have clever accounts and clever lawyers. Which is another aspect of the business of football that we have been seriously short of. The hope is that this is about to change. 

And I agree we’re festering in The Championship, but I said that surely isn’t the intention of NSWE going forwards. 

Edited by DaveAV1
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

I'll say this for him. He cares.

Tonight's interview wasn't that weird "it's my fault and now I'm sad, does everyone still love me" thing that Sherwood did a couple of times, this was a man who looked to me genuinely upset by what had happened; really shaken.

He's clearly got some drive, some pride not to leave here in this way, but you have to look at him and wonder on the effect this is having in his health, and think that with the money he has, the security he has and the lifestyle that can afford him, does he want another month of this?

To be fair Scott, I don't want another month of this as a fan......I was shaking my head and looking through my fingers,all through the second half....the pen was so nauseatingly predictable.

Your points are valid.....but this has been building up and it shouldn't have got to this stage.....Many of us have been here before, the tell tale signs are there and there is no coming back, its gone too far.....that second half was way beyond the pale.

The club need to do the honourable thing and release him.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, briny_ear said:

The moronic act of throwing a cabbage at our manager is the physical manifestation of the verbal abuse that gets thrown at him regularly online. 

I think I just read someone who thought it was appropriate to describe him as an “arrogant, deluded, smug, prick”. This is the language of hate that should have no place on a fan site like this, any more than throwing missiles at any club official should have any place at a football match. 

I have supported this club passionately and obsessively since I was 10 but I have to say that I despise the way some fans think now they have a right to behave and cannot feel part of that community.

Well said and it certainly needed saying.

Despite not agreeing with it at times like any manager if results aren't meeting realistic expectation then Bruce was fair game for criticism but some of the hateful vitriol is way over the top. My hands aren't clean in this regard by the way as I gave Houllier dogs abuse on here at times and shame on me for that.

I think Bruce is probably a decent bloke. I suppose most managers are in fairness. Yes he gets paid an extortionate amount but that doesn't make him immune to pressure and feeling hurt when being criticised and abused. I personally think he was wrong in snapping back and calling out some fans and it was certainly petty at times and in that regard he didn't help himself. He is human though. I also think some of us have played down what he went through last season losing one parent, then having another seriously ill before losing her. Yet he stayed professional throughout and never missed a game.

His time here is done now and if it isn't then that is on the owner. Bruce's personal pride may make him feel like he wants to carry on as he won't want to leave off the back of last night or it may simply be he wants to ensure he gets a payout. Either way the decision should be taken out of his hands because the toxic nature of last night I don't want to be a part of again.

As for you not feeling part of the community anymore mate 90% of Villa fans are like you so stick around and help keep it that way.

Edited by markavfc40
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, MrDuck said:

Villa have owners with money, and are the biggest club outside the premiership by a distance. The notion that we can't attract a decent manager is absurd.

It's the attitude the current manager has which makes him think we are plucky underdogs 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, DaveAV1 said:

You’re not reading my posts properly. I didn’t say a top manager, I specifically said that clubs have overtaken us with managers that we had never heard of up to recently. 

We don’t need a manager after a big payday, we need a manager on the way up who has the character and personality to not be overawed by the job but isn’t some big time Charlie who keeps harping on about what he’s achieved in the past. We need a manager for the future not the past. 

I’m not advocating spending stupid money, I’ve consistently said we need to be a much more intelligent club in every way. Using the money cleverly is the way forward. Do you seriously think that Man City have done anything other than pay lip service to ffp? They have clever accounts and clever lawyers. Which is another aspect of the business of football that we have been seriously short of. The hope is that this is about to change. 

And I agree we’re festering in The Championship, but I said that surely isn’t the intention of NSWE going forwards. 

The thing is Dave the basics are not even there....something is clearly not right.....that second half was not a bad night, it was a dereliction of duty.

Any job will consume any manager when you serve up that dollop of hogwash.

44 minutes ago, pacbuddies said:

That's actually lettuce.

So the wrong trousers is just the tip of the iceberg on this conspiracy then! 

Edited by sidcow
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

This season is mirroring RDM's - both felt pressure from new ownership to create good attacking football and both failed in the window to deliver that, creating unbalanced squads and lots of draws. It's the same error. Bruce was exactly what we needed last season and the half season before and he nearly did it - but it's a totally different ball game this season and we need a different manager to deliver it.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, markavfc40 said:

Well said and it certainly needed saying.

Despite not agreeing with it at times like any manager if results aren't meeting realistic expectation then Bruce was fair game for criticism but some of the hateful vitriol is way over the top. My hands aren't clean in this regard by the way as I gave Houllier dogs abuse on here at times and shame on me for that.

I think Bruce is probably a decent bloke. I suppose most managers are in fairness. Yes he gets paid an extortionate amount but that doesn't make him immune to pressure and feeling hurt when being criticised and abused. I personally think he was wrong in snapping back and calling out some fans and it was certainly petty at times and in that regard he didn't help himself. He is human though. I also think some of us have played down what he went through last season losing one parent, then having another seriously ill before losing her. Yet he stayed professional throughout and never missed a game.

His time here is done now and if it isn't then that is on the owner. Bruce's personal pride may make him feel like he wants to carry on as he won't want to leave off the back of last night or it may simply be he wants to ensure he gets a payout. Either way the decision should be taken out of his hands because the toxic nature of last night I don't want to be a part of again.

As for you not feeling part of the community anymore mate 90% of Villa fans are like you so stick around and help keep it that way.

Mark you and Briny are right, some of it is uncalled for.....He is human and some of it goes beyond the pale

Unfortunately, That second half was too.....and until someone says it like it is.....The frustration will spin out of control.

That second half was a shocking display of capitulation.......If I was a coach, I would not preside over that, if I thought it wasn't me or I didn't deserve that and  that's the best I could muster out of them I would walk.

3 minutes ago, Jareth said:

This season is mirroring RDM's - both felt pressure from new ownership to create good attacking football and both failed in the window to deliver that, creating unbalanced squads and lots of draws. It's the same error. Bruce was exactly what we needed last season and the half season before and he nearly did it - but it's a totally different ball game this season and we need a different manager to deliver it.

You have to WIN the right to play football and we are miles off that.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, TRO said:

Mark you and Briny are right, some of it is uncalled for.....He is human and some of it goes beyond the pale

Unfortunately, That second half was too.....and until someone says it like it is.....The frustration will spin out of control.

That second half was a shocking display of capitulation.......If I was a coach, I would not preside over that, if I thought it wasn't me or I didn't deserve that and  that's the best I could muster out of them I would walk.

That's the bit that upsets me the most, is that he is acting like there is nothing wrong when the whole world can see that there is.

I believed the vile behaviour of a few extreme supporters a has a lot of us who want him gone labelled incorrectly.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, TRO said:

The thing is Dave the basics are not even there....something is clearly not right.....that second half was not a bad night, it was a dereliction of duty.

Any job will consume any manager when you serve up that dollop of hogwash.

I agree but that, on the whole, is the immediate fault of the manager who has been here for almost two years. The overall structure of the club is clearly the long term issue. Which is probably a factor in why the owners are yet to act. Ideally  they would probably have liked Bruce to mind the shop while they put more structure in place. However, as you rightly say, even the basics are missing and so their hand may be forced. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MrDuck said:

Villa have owners with money, and are the biggest club outside the premiership by a distance. The notion that we can't attract a decent manager is absurd.

True - but we seem more adept at dodging decent managers.

• Like 1

Â