Steve Bruce

Demitri_C

You can play below par, but if you have an instinctive system that every player fully knows and buys into, then you can get away with occasional less than stellar performances.

Our problem is most definitely the absence of a style of play that has been coached until players know instinctively what their team mates will try to do when they get the ball, and where they will be when they don't have the ball.

We clearly make it up as we go along. What do Bruce and his large coaching staff do all season?

• Like 3

I’ve just seen he played Hutton at centre back it would be hilarious if it was another club, the highlights of his time here on a history of Villa documentary in years to come will be to benny hill music. A leopard doesn’t change its spots, get ready for dross and money wasted on players that leave no foundation after he’s gone. 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Fairy In Boots said:

I’ve just seen he played Hutton at centre back it would be hilarious if it was another club, the highlights of his time here on a history of Villa documentary in years to come will be to benny hill music. A leopard doesn’t change its spots, get ready for dross and money wasted on players that leave no foundation after he’s gone. 

He did against Walsall too i think. Once is strange, twice makes it look like it's an actual possibility for the season....

A lot of people are overlooking the fact that it wasn't about Bruce v Henry, and judging Bruce staying only on that

The new owners had a chance here to really announce themselves with a new plan and change of direction, if they had done their homework they would have known Bruce had the biggest budget by some distance and failed. Ask yourselves, would Man City or Man Utd had settled for finishing 5th in the league and missing out on the champions league places? I think not.

They have instead chosen to reward mediocrity by keeping Bruce at the helm, It's not about Henry v Bruce for me - we don't even know Henry was considered as fact, they have the whole world to choose from. I'm hoping the real reason for this decision is that they are restricted by FFP and not basing their decision on the belief that Bruce will take us up at the 3rd time of asking with a smaller budget.  

I personally think this squad is good enough to still go up, but not with Bruce in charge, though I will back him now as the decision has been made so I will make no more comments in this thread until I feel the need to.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, TheStagMan said:

So, if you booked a taxi to take you on the 100 mile trip to the airport with your luggage, and the taxi stops 3 miles away from the airport, drops you at the side of the road and says "bye then, see you for the journey back", meaning that you miss your flight and take a financial hit trying to book another one. How would you react:

1. Say it's OK, i'll consider it a success because you got me quite close to the airport, i'll book you for the return journey and hope that given the experience you gained on this trip you will be able to get me all the way home. 

OR

2. Decide it is not good enough, complain, consider the journey a failure and not use that taxi driver/company again

By the way, this is a very well paid taxi company, probably the most expensive taxi company in the area.

I bet  that your answer isn't 1.

Metaphorically, spot on. And very funny too.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Junxs said:

A lot of people are overlooking the fact that it wasn't about Bruce v Henry, and judging Bruce staying only on that

The new owners had a chance here to really announce themselves with a new plan and change of direction, if they had done their homework they would have known Bruce had the biggest budget by some distance and failed. Ask yourselves, would Man City or Man Utd had settled for finishing 5th in the league and missing out on the champions league places? I think not.

They have instead chosen to reward mediocrity by keeping Bruce at the helm, It's not about Henry v Bruce for me - we don't even know Henry was considered as fact, they have the whole world to choose from. I'm hoping the real reason for this decision is that they are restricted by FFP and not basing their decision on the belief that Bruce will take us up at the 3rd time of asking with a smaller budget.  

I personally think this squad is good enough to still go up, but not with Bruce in charge, though I will back him now as the decision has been made so I will make no more comments in this thread until I feel the need to.

If you had done your homework you would see that Bruce did not have the biggest transfer budget at our club let alone in the league.

• Confused 1

3 minutes ago, daggy_333 said:

He did against Walsall too i think. Once is strange, twice makes it look like it's an actual possibility for the season....

He was a completely unknown quantity but I think Henry would have seen Hutton and said “you’re not a centre back, in fact you’re not really a footballer either”, it’s what anyone with a brain would do

3 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Let's just think about this. It's a bit like when O'Neill walked just before the start of the season - worst possible time to make a change. 

My bet is that this takeover has happened very quickly, and late in the day. And even if the new guys would have liked to put their own man in, they were faced with the time issue. My bet is that they knew this, but the only name they had time to sound out was Henry - very much as a backstop. They've realised that that probably wouldn't be a wise move, and have done the only other thing that could possibly do at this stage, which is to stick with Bruce for now. I'm pretty sure they'll be looking around for a more suitable replacement already. 

Calming words Mr Mooney and I have a feeling it might just be the case.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, TRO said:

Not saying your wrong on that Terry, didn't see the game.....don't really need to ....seen what I needed to see last season, WITH the all the loan players.

just as a matter of interest, what was Jack like?....did he play well?

I didn’t go. Watched it online. I went to Burton and Kiddy.....compared to those 2 games he seemed lack lustre. Mind you West Ham aren’t Burton or Kiddy !

1 minute ago, mjmooney said:

Let's just think about this. It's a bit like when O'Neill walked just before the start of the season - worst possible time to make a change. 

My bet is that this takeover has happened very quickly, and late in the day. And even if the new guys would have liked to put their own man in, they were faced with the time issue. My bet is that they knew this, but the only name they had time to sound out was Henry - very much as a backstop. They've realised that that probably wouldn't be a wise move, and have done the only other thing that could possibly do at this stage, which is to stick with Bruce for now. I'm pretty sure they'll be looking around for a more suitable replacement already. 

One would like to think so. At the very least, if they spent some time together watching the World Cup then they will certainly know what good football looks like. Hopefully, they also know what bad football looks like because if they are going to be looking at any of our games, they are going to see it in abundance. Let's just hope they recognise it and realise they have a manager who will squander their largesse, as he did with Xia's.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, privateer said:

One would like to think so. At the very least, if they spent some time together watching the World Cup then they will certainly know what good football looks like. Hopefully, they also know what bad football looks like because if they are going to be looking at any of our games, they are going to see it in abundance. Let's just hope they recognise it and realise they have a manager who will squander their largesse, as he did with Xia's.

I think we can, for now, give them the benefit of the doubt and assume that they're not clueless and know a thing or two about the sport they just invested heavily in.

• Like 1

I will guarantee those who wanted Bruce that he doesn’t last to Christmas!  I will be surprised if he makes it to Nov.

I wont be one of the ones shouting Bruce out nor saying i told you so when it happens, im getting it out of the road now and moving on.

The team and style of play hasn’t improved in his 100 odd games, if anything it has got worse. Big waged loan players last season papered over alot, I suspect he won’t get the same luxury type players this season.

11 minutes ago, osmark86 said:

I think we can, for now, give them the benefit of the doubt and assume that they're not clueless and know a thing or two about the sport they just invested heavily in.

I'd agree but we'll know for sure soon. Their first personnel-related act is not encouraging to me, I hope the next ones are more inspired and demonstrate football knowledge and sound judgement where Xia failed. He was a mug who was mugged off, I think. They need to curette all traces of Xia and his appointments.

Edited by privateer

1 hour ago, TRO said:

We simply don't have the players who can dominate to play 3 at the back....we resort to defending  in numbers, which then leaves the attack under deployed.

We need a couple at least dominant defenders, particularly in the air.....not for the squad, the first team.

I am hoping that the new owners will not allow him to squander money on more old players on their last payday. 

• Like 2

Just now, AntrimBlack said:

I am hoping that the new owners will not allow him to squander money on more old players on their last payday. 

Well if they don’t and i bet they wont, then what will Bruce do?  He doesn’t know anything else.  This is exactly why Bruce had to go.  Forget Henry, wasn’t about him, it was all about Bruce.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, privateer said:

I'd agree but we'll know for sure soon. Their first personnel-related act is not encouraging to me, I hope the next ones are more inspired and demonstrate football knowledge and sound judgement where way Xia failed. He was a mug who was mugged off, I think. They need to curette all traces of Xia and his appointments.

Xia took big risks with the club so maybe this personell-related action will prove to be a good judgement at the time being. If they gambled and it didn't work out they'd get compared to the previous man. Like a poster said earlier I'm pretty sure time plays a huge part in this decision. We're very close to the start of the new season after all and the takeover only just happened. FFP considerations too. Let's just see what their larger moves will be.

Edited by osmark86
  • Like 2

Â