Steve Bruce

Demitri_C

34 minutes ago, hippo said:

Do we sell some of our better players and try once again to fund a promotion push but going with experienced players ? 

or 

Do we promote our youth players, and try a completely different approach 

Bruce I am sure would go again bringing in older heads - I think he would be less comfortable relying too heavily on young guns - in which case Xia wyness may decide its time for a change.

There is a perfectly legitimate thought process that was prudent in doing what he had done....we was a broken outfit with no leaders in the dressing room.

That has been fixed.....the trade off is an ageing squad and all the shortfalls that go with it.

it has not worked to gain us promotion Albeit very close....a rethink needs to happen.

not necessarily revolution, but certainly evolution.

Edited by TRO

On 26/05/2018 at 22:37, penguin said:

2nd half showed how good we can be. Would have blitzed this league with a more positive, progressive manager imo. Bruce only knows how to set up as the underdog 

I used to know a penguin from back in the day. Ginger lad, used to sit in the Witton Lane stand.

On 26/05/2018 at 22:26, Eastie said:

There is a reason he’s waited 20 years to manage a big club - he’s a limited manager who can get results by stifling opposition - none of his teams have been attractive to watch and none of the so called big clubs have wanted him as manager .

In a nutshell.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, A'Villan said:

I don't really want to wade in to this part of the discussion, but I will add this.

If Newcastle can get Benitez in the championship, then you are correct @vreitti we should be looking at managers of a high calibre, whether they decide to come or not is their challenge to face.

They didn't get Benitez in the Championship.

They got him in the Premier League and convinced him to stay when they got relegated.

He wouldn't have gone there if they'd been in the Championship when they hired him.

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, dounavilla said:

TBAR probably.

Upon checking , this has come from a poster on h&v  who heard it from a lions club chairman.

I can vouch for the poster on H&V 100%.  I know nothing about the Lions club chairman though, or how where he heard the news/rumour.

2 hours ago, Reivax_Villa said:

Rumours are circulating on forums that he has resigned. I don't know how true this is though..

Keeping my fingers crossed this is true. Please, Please.

As I understood it Bruce resigned from Hull when he was told he would not be getting much money to spend. I suspect that a similar scenario is developing at Villa. We will struggle to compete without the likes of Grealish and Chester, yet we will struggle to rebuild the squad without selling them. I am not sure Bruce will want to stick around for that.  

13 hours ago, Digavilla said:

I am not sure about domestic , but in my country I can assure you Wolves are streets ahead of us in terms of fans support & revenues.  I am really surprise how they have turned their fortunes so quickly as I remember they were in league 1 only recently & Lambert as Manager. 

The thing with china is that you could have Huddersfield winning the premier league, and all of a sudden thousands of Chinese would start supporting them. I have no doubt wolves have suddenly became popular in China, but a few seasons of struggling in the prem, and no one will bother with them over there. I read about 3 years ago, that villa were the 13th most popular European football club over there, which is astounding as we have done nothing for years. Villa are a much bigger club than wolves, even though wolves fans all of a sudden believe they have overtaken us. As for any manager or player that comes to us, they always spout the same big club talk about us, but it really means nothing as we have spent the last 7 years struggling. Historically we are one of the big clubs, but we are nothing at the minute. 

3 hours ago, Ponky said:

As I understood it Bruce resigned from Hull when he was told he would not be getting much money to spend. I suspect that a similar scenario is developing at Villa. We will struggle to compete without the likes of Grealish and Chester, yet we will struggle to rebuild the squad without selling them. I am not sure Bruce will want to stick around for that.  

Well he should have got us promoted then.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Risso said:

I can vouch for the poster on H&V 100%.  I know nothing about the Lions club chairman though, or how where he heard the news/rumour.

If Bruce has resigned I’d seriously think about giving JT the chance - he has good connections and maybe could use the loan market to help us , also now has a feeling of what the club is about . 

‘Any appointment would be a risk 

• Like 1

I hear and understand the reasons why people are saying JT. But does he a) want to be a manager, b) apart from his man management skills and Chelsea contacts, does he have any of the other skills required and c) what sort of style would we play? After all, our current former big club, won everything as a player, Center half manager hasn’t got us playing anything very exciting. 

Edited by DaveAV1

Just now, Demitri_C said:

Why would bruce resign if he said he wanted to stay? I think its nonsense.

Depends what his meeting with the board goes like I guess - they might decide he has failed to achieve the aims set - a lot of times managers are invited to resign rather than be sacked - either way the club need to clarify his position soon as we have a lot of work ahead - no sign of wyness on twitter since the weekend - he only posts when we win .

if the club are backing Bruce to continue then say so as the speculation is in nobody’s interests .

Whoever gets the job is a gamble - that’s football 

Just now, Eastie said:

Depends what his meeting with the board goes like I guess - they might decide he has failed to achieve the aims set - a lot of times managers are invited to resign rather than be sacked - either way the club need to clarify his position soon as we have a lot of work ahead - no sign of wyness on twitter since the weekend - he only posts when we win .

if the club are backing Bruce to continue then say so as the speculation is in nobody’s interests .

Whoever gets the job is a gamble - that’s football 

I agree they have to let the fans know asap what they are doing with bruce as we need to start planning ahead.

I wouldn't be opposed to terry as manager to be honest. A young manager that knows the club players and has such huge contacts in the game. He would need a experienced number 2 with him though.

4 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

I agree they have to let the fans know asap what they are doing with bruce as we need to start planning ahead.

I wouldn't be opposed to terry as manager to be honest. A young manager that knows the club players and has such huge contacts in the game. He would need a experienced number 2 with him though.

Key thing for me is his comment he wants to carry on if those above him want him to - he therefore has not been given any assurance that if we failed to go up his job was safe - wyness refused to say if Bruce would stay even if promoted so I think the decision has been taken that it was promotion or bust for Bruce . 

‘His earlier comment that he knows the consequences of failure suggests to me he is aware of his fate . 

7 minutes ago, Eastie said:

Key thing for me is his comment he wants to carry on if those above him want him to - he therefore has not been given any assurance that if we failed to go up his job was safe - wyness refused to say if Bruce would stay even if promoted so I think the decision has been taken that it was promotion or bust for Bruce . 

‘His earlier comment that he knows the consequences of failure suggests to me he is aware of his fate . 

Yeah i agree mate. But i think they may give him 5-6 games into next year.  If he starts as badly as he did this year he will be gone. I think because we lost by just a goal they might stick with him.

But valid points he could be gone. Wyness round and co need to make a decision and tell the fans so the rebuild can be done. If its more of the same signing experienced oldies like whelan and Elmo to take a gamble for Promotion of rather bruce left.

I'd rather see a younger villa that will get better in time that has a future as opposed to being back to square one like we aRe now .

Â