Steve Bruce

Demitri_C

He lost momentum last season when we lost kodjia to afcon and we had nothing to replace him with.

We will start the season next year without kodjia so bruce needs to put a style in place that wont see us implode without him.

Is he up to doing this?

In my opinion , no , as he has so far in his villa tenure showed no sign of being able to utilise the abilities of the players we have other than kodjia.

I hope im wrong

2 hours ago, briny_ear said:

Quite. Suppose, after 12 matchesarrow-10x10.png next season, Bruce has achieved similar results to those from his first 12 with us last season. So something like won 6, drawn 4, lost 2. We'd be on 22 points and at least in the playoff places.

This is a perfectly plausible scenario.

If he was achieving this through ultra defensive football, hoofing long balls over midfield and waiting for Kodjia to nick the winning goal, what would the anti-Bruce lot do then? Call for him to be sacked because he wasn't playing "progressive" football or because they personally weren't enjoying it?

Of course not. but there would still be the doubt that he could sustain that for an entire season to a level sufficient to get us promoted.

• Like 3

He had a lot to do last season - sort out the dressing room, fix a fragile squad mentality, stop us leaking goals, improve the quality of players in key positions etc etc.  He's done all that whilst - admittedly not in a pretty way - grinding out results which kept us comfortably away from the wrong end of the table.

He's got a whole summer now (bit of input in the transfer dealings aside) to work on getting us playing better football.  I'm willing to admit that he doesn't fill me with confidence in that area, but lets give him a chance to show what he can do before castigating him into the pit of failed mangers.

• Like 4

With a far bigger budget than everyone bar Newcastle, he has parked the bus against the likes of Burton Albion on the way to stumbling into a midtable finish. 

He has done a poor job so far, and his style is who he is. I've seen nothing that gives me hope for bext season. 

Id love the idea of having monks free flowing at VP but unfortunately promotion is more vital IMO.

With this in mind Bruce would fill me with more confidence that he can get us out of here in such a tight timeframe.

Monks departure will be a huge blow to Leeds chances next season - no doubt we will start the season under Bruce and I think that's fair enough - he knows he has to deliver results and promotion and anything less will see him depart.

monk would be ideal for Watford in my opinion .

Edited by Eastie

3 minutes ago, Eastie said:

Monks departure will be a huge blow to Leeds chances next season - no doubt we will start the season under Bruce and I think that's fair enough - he knows he has to deliver results and promotion and anything less will see him depart.

I think he will go to Boro. He strikes me as the type of manager who will do crap one season - average the next. Don't think we are missing much to be honest.

43 minutes ago, Eastie said:

Monk going is maybe tied in with the ownership change at Leeds? Maybe he's been told to go quietly as they have RDM lined up? :D

I don't know why, but I'm already very nervous for Bruce, and for all of us next season.

34 minutes ago, jon_c said:

Fat Sam resigned, Monk resigned, come on Steve get with trend. 

despite all those resignations - I still don't see a standout manager we could feasibly get. 

• Like 2

Got a bit bored so wandered over to a leeds forum to wallow in their self pity!

(Clicky)

Most are obviously gutted hes gone but the more interesting ones are those who are glad...such as this...

Totally agree-far to one dimential and defensive-has only one way of playing and has refused to change his system-no plan b-cannot see him here next season

I would never have him down as a defensive minded manager, but then again i only watch highlights. 

Shows what perceptions you have may not be what you get.

15 minutes ago, briny_ear said:

Not totally sure why Garry Monk is being discussed in the Steve Bruce Thread?

Because we've spoken so much about wanting Bruce out that we're now convinced he has left and have moved into new manager speculation. Duh!

Â