Steve Bruce

Demitri_C

29 minutes ago, dn1982 said:

Under RDM is he knew how to close out games he wouldn't have got sacked but at the time we still wanted to go for promotion so got Bruce in that's turned out badly so far. The football under RDM was a lot better but still a way off what we need. Bruce has been given a lot of leeway and he'll get the summer but I think he's used up all the good will already and will need results and performances from the off next year. This year we've been awful yet the results masked how bad we'd been playing. If we'd have lost v Blues I think he'd been in big trouble now but that one game will get him the summer. For me anything other than top 3 is failure but ultimately he has to get us up by hook or by crook. I think he will but to be here long term he needs to entertain. 

I would argue badly is a bit garish, considering he has got us winning games something we lacked under RDM, black, garde and Sherwood (2nd season) he was also first manager to get us winning four on the trot, not seen since the mon days. ( with excessive clean sheets)

dont get me wrong though Bruce has major flaws and made mistakes. But for me where we were he gas justified the sack as of yet. I'm willing to give him a pre season and 5-6 games next season to see if there is any improvement. I suspect there will be.

3 hours ago, DaveAV1 said:

The point is it's a myth that he's made us harder to beat. I'm not holding up RDM as a beacon of managerial light. Far from it!

If RDM could grind out a 1-0 win he'd still be in a job probably.

Think back to the Huddersfield, Forest, Brentford and Barnsley games we all drew. All 4 we could've easily ground out a 1-0 win. 8 extra points, we're in the play offs and no reason at all to sack him.

SB can even if it is horrible to watch. I'd be happy enough to start off the season with 3 or 4 1-0s in the opening two months as that would mean for once we're in the top part of the table and we can build from there.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

I would argue badly is a bit garish, considering he has got us winning games something we lacked under RDM, black, garde and Sherwood (2nd season) he was also first manager to get us winning four on the trot, not seen since the mon days. ( with excessive clean sheets)

dont get me wrong though Bruce has major flaws and made mistakes. But for me where we were he gas justified the sack as of yet. I'm willing to give him a pre season and 5-6 games next season to see if there is any improvement. I suspect there will be.

I think us being so bad for so long has stopped us expecting the best. Bruce has under achieved results wise overall  and got us to produce some extremely dire football in the process. Winning 4 games on the trot in the Championship should be a given. The league is weak it's just a slog. RDM's opening run results wise was far better than the run Bruce got us in in January we can go over If and maybes but that won't help. Bruce will get the summer. I think he needs to look closely at him and his back room staff. He may need to freshen it up on and off the pitch. This may turnout to be the biggest summer in our history. We can't stay down or we'll be another Leeds. 

2 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

The problem is 5 or 6 games into the season it will be difficult to find a quality replacement and we will have thrown another shed load of dosh at new players that won't fit in with whoever we do appoint. I'm not saying it's an easy decision but I'm now of the opinion that keeping him is a bigger risk than letting him go.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

My view also - but only barely and with little genuine conviction.  On the other hand I wouldn't be the slightest bit bothered if they got rid, I don't think his record is so good that the Sack would be silly.

11 minutes ago, terrytini said:

My view also - but only barely and with little genuine conviction.  On the other hand I wouldn't be the slightest bit bothered if they got rid, I don't think his record is so good that the Sack would be silly.

To be honest, although I now have almost no faith in Steve Bruce improving us next season, we must only sack him if we have a proper plan for the future and we can identify and secure his replacement to implement the plan. The problem has been over the years that there has been no plan and we have always been reactive rather than proactive. How on earth could we think that Gerard Houllier and Alex McCleish could be the answer to the same question? 

So I'm Bruce out the new Ron Saunders in, but definitely not, Bruce out now what do we do?

At least we won't have Randy and his poxy jet flipping here there and everywhere. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, terrytini said:

My view too.

My main concern with Bruce is that he was backed to sign the players he could get in January, three of which were known for their creativity and goals. All three of which have seemingly gone backwards in both aspects. Bree is still young but came with rave reports and hasn't been able to displace the trying but ultimately lacking Huton, can he really build the side to get us up next year?

• Like 4

27 minutes ago, LancsVillan said:

My main concern with Bruce is that he was backed to sign the players he could get in January, three of which were known for their creativity and goals. All three of which have seemingly gone backwards in both aspects. Bree is still young but came with rave reports and hasn't been able to displace the trying but ultimately lacking Huton, can he really build the side to get us up next year?

This  is thing - he's brought in good creative goalscorng midfielders and seems clueless how to use them - I think the squad is decent enough with 3 or 4 additions but only if he can get the best out of these players and that's a huge question mark over him .

• Like 4

8 hours ago, macandally said:

A few on here have asked who would we replace Bruce with?  The easy option would be Slaviša Jokanović if Fulham do not go up.

Promoted Watford and has taken Fulham from relegation certainties to play off hopefuls playing a decent brand of football

Be good to see a "brand" of football even if it is slow to start off but believe he would suit the players we have

Remember when it was houghton .....then Wagner...then monk....

Would this be a different manager if Fulham were not the leagues form team?

what if he goes on a massive losing run next year...do we stick with him, or move to the next flash in the pan?

when do we actually give a manager a decent chance when things are not rosey...Jokanovic...the next one ....the one after that?

11 minutes ago, Nigel said:

what if he goes on a massive losing run next year...do we stick with him, or move to the next flash in the pan?

when do we actually give a manager a decent chance when things are not rosey...Jokanovic...the next one ....the one after that?

A manager is judged on results - with the squad he has at his disposal the results are not good enough , but furthermore the football is not bad it's atrocious and we don't see the improvement expected .

in fact we are further away from the top 6 now than we were at xmas - I'm all for giving him a chance but not a free pass and he has to improve and very fast .

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Nigel said:

I'd still take everyone of those managers over Bruce .

• Like 4

20 hours ago, andyh said:

We are a million miles away from ANYTHING resembling a team that will compete and challenge for the top positions next year.

slow, lethargic, turgid football does not suit this division, but that's what we play, it's what the manager wants.

it's time  to cut our losses, thank him for steadying this ship but now look for somoeone progressive, who can move us forward.

"Its what the manager wants".......it's these falseisms that make this debate so difficult.

Band wagon talk.

He's made it clear he is not happy with it.....and then you write that.....unhelpful.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, DaveAV1 said:

Maybe one window isn't enough to solve all the problems, but surely it's enough to show some progress. There aren't many people who watch us regularly that think we have shown progress, or even any sign of a coherent plan developing since January. Unless of course the plan is to hoof the ball to Kodjia, even when he isn't playing. 

Thats subjective I'm afraid Dave.

I understand what turgid stuff you are referring too.....but the conceding goals has got better in the main....so no progress, is not strickly true Imo.

23 minutes ago, TRO said:

"Its what the manager wants".......it's these falseisms that make this debate so difficult.

Band wagon talk.

He's made it clear he is not happy with it.....and then you write that.....unhelpful.

Yep, he couldnt' have made it clearer that it's NOT what he wants.

The criticism is that he's not getting them to play the way he wants them to. Which is of course on him.

But this line that this is how he wants the team to play is nonsense.

18 hours ago, terrytini said:

I think the concern is less to do with 'turning it around' and more to do with us not putting in one single decent convincing performance.

Its the performances that are causing the massive disenchantment, and most would say it's not unreasonable to have had some - even one ! - in all those games. Pretty much every side we've played has done so ! Against us !

I don't think that is strickly true Terry to be honest.....Look i am not arguing the football is turgid at present, but i think in order to drive home the argument there are some exagerrations at large.There have been some decent performances, even when we have lost i.e Huddersfield.....but equally more horror shows granted.

I think its got worse of late, not sure why, deck chair syndrome, who knows.

The thing that troubles me those against Bruce have very liitle of anything decent to say.

The man has even come out and slaughtered the performances, agreeing with the complainants.....He has even said i will be looking at everything during the summer, even myself.

I think he is the sort to walk away, if he thinks he can't fix it.

I just happen to think so many are jumping to early conclusions, they could be right......but so could we suporting him.

It is much easier to comment on a finished article than one in progress.

A wound, a building, a song......can look shit if its not complete.

The guy needs a break.

Â